news and current events?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

catgirl_ranger

news and current events?

Post by catgirl_ranger »

Just heard about half an hour ago about the earthquake(s) in Japan. Buh, hope anyone there is okay.
Crushmaster

Re: news and current events?

Post by Crushmaster »

Yes...I saw that too. :( Praying...
God bless,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

That looks terrible. The earthquake is so wide-range at this time.
I keep calling to a person who belongs to my company, but phone has been disconnected since then.
Also, my wife's family is kind of close to the area that shook a lot. I am really worried about them. (phone is also disconnected there)
Although they get used to earthquakes because world's 10% of earthquakes hit Japan, one just hit was totally different. (7th biggest ever recorded in the world) :(
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Just saw it on the news. :( Hope most people are okay. 5 dead already apparently...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Do we have any Japanese here?
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Reepurr wrote: Hope most people are okay. 5 dead already apparently...
So far, news aren't good. I just seen that there are already 19 deads. :(
SkyOne wrote:That looks terrible. The earthquake is so wide-range at this time.
I keep calling to a person who belongs to my company, but phone has been disconnected since then.
Also, my wife's family is kind of close to the area that shook a lot. I am really worried about them. (phone is also disconnected there)
Although they get used to earthquakes because world's 10% of earthquakes hit Japan, one just hit was totally different. (7th biggest ever recorded in the world) :(
I'm glad that you are alive and well, and I hope that everyone else is. From what I see, phone is not working, but Internet is. There was also a ten metres tsunami.
This kind of reminds me when, more than one year ago, there was an earthquake in Chile, and we all were worried for shadowmaster. Now, we're worried - for you and your dears - exactly like one year ago. :(
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Geez, the Earth seems to have it in for our forum moderators.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Frogger5 wrote:Do we have any Japanese here?
Not much as long as I know, except translators.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:I'm glad that you are alive and well, and I hope that everyone else is.
Oh, thank you, Elvish_Hunter.
I am all right, and so is my phone, because I am here in the US for my job. All phones over there are disconnected.

There was another big earthquake a few ago in New Zealand. The city that the earthquake hit is named "Christ Church".:shock:
Hopefully, no-more.

EDIT: E-mail works to Tokyo. Everything on my side is fine. Thank you, Elvish_Hunter.:smile:
Now I know why the word of "Tunami" has become in English.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

SkyOne wrote:EDIT: E-mail works to Tokyo. Everything on my side is fine. Thank you, Elvish_Hunter.:smile:
I'm happy to read this. :D
SkyOne wrote:Now I know why the word of "Tunami" has become in English.
Well, it is known also in other languages (Italian, for example).
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

On the good side - they have been long awaiting that great earthquake of Tokyo. Now it maybe lasts some more decades...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Yeah, things seem to be really shaking up over there.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

I don't know what saddens me the most; the loss of life or the flood of ignorant comments on public sites like youtube or facebook… :x
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Kalajel wrote:I don't know what saddens me the most; the loss of life or the flood of ignorant comments on public sites like youtube or facebook… :x
And apparently the press and politicians too.
atomicbomb

Post by atomicbomb »

The condition's worsened day by day, the nuclear plant's at her critical moment and there's a huge risk of deadly meltdown. And it could affect my town :( I hope engineers could deal with that damn plant. sigh
It's really reminds me the destruction of my city in SC2K because of same reason (It's totally destroyed to rubble, and it takes thousands of years to remove the radioactive havocs).
* shadowmaster hits atomicbomb with a watermelon
* atomicbomb hits shadowmaster with durian
(On wesbreak to take care of my 17 HS classes. Will be back in mid June.)
My Blog | Noisy Bird | My Fake FB Account | Story of Wesnoth Forums
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Anonymissimus wrote: Now it maybe lasts some more decades...
I know what you mean about the pressure relief, but unfortunately decades are too short a time-span for earth's plates. It seems like a lot to us, but a hundred years, give or take, is nothing to the earthquake frequency and trying to predict earthquakes, well...

I say this because I'm in an earthquake zone, though not as active as Japan, and there is some concern here that if we got hit with something like Japan did, we'd not handle it nearly as well.

But how do you convince the public to keep an emergency kit & evacuation plan? How do you convince the public (or the political & industry leaders) that infrastructure is worth spending money on? People stop listening to continuous warnings of doom that haven't panned out in the last 10 years.

Anyhow, hopefully the missing will be found.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects