Youtube reviews Wesnoth!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pauxlo

Re: Youtube reviews Wesnoth!

Post by pauxlo »

dipseydoodle wrote:
Zerovirus wrote: Wesnoth has never been extremely popular and it never will be,
Actually, Wesnoth IIRC has been rather popular in the past year or so(1.8 got 1 million downloads!).
It obviously depends on what you count as "rather popular" and "extremely popular".

If you ask average people on the street whether they have heard of (or even installed/played) BfW, how many would say "yes"?
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

pauxlo wrote:If you ask average people on the street whether they have heard of (or even installed/played) BfW, how many would say "yes"?

But... I couldn't watch the review. I just... when I heard the first words, I almost threw my screen out of the window. I'm shaking of anger, SERIOUSLY. That video will probably soon be the first thing to come up of google when searching Wesnoth... And then we're all doomed.
Check out my sprites!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've actually met a few on my college campus but elsewhere I've not seen anyone else who knows it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I know one or two people who knew what Wesnoth is, and I've told at least a dozen others. Spreading the word. :P *cue motivational music*
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I know two people who play it occasionally... and one that played but uninstalled because he said the idea of the RNG as a core gameplay facet was stupid.

Sigh.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Two of my "real life friends" are (or were) playing, but those only started playing since they were always observing me reading the Wesnoth forums.

I think I may have met some of the Esperanto translators, too.
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Zerovirus wrote:I know two people who play it occasionally... and one that played but uninstalled because he said the idea of the RNG as a core gameplay facet was stupid.

Sigh.
I loled :lol2:

None of my friends even play free games on the computer. They either play video games, or online flash games. :P except my brother, but he tried Wesnoth and didn't like it.
Last edited by Frogger5 on January 13th, 2011, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

woodmouse wrote:... I couldn't watch the review. I just... when I heard the first words, I almost threw my screen out of the window. I'm shaking of anger, SERIOUSLY. That video will probably soon be the first thing to come up of google when searching Wesnoth... And then we're all doomed.
Maybe you should make a rage guy comic? Or get Doc to throw chocolate boomerangs at him... that's another option.

As a side note, I have randomly conversed with some people who knew of Wesnoth.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

woodmouse wrote:I couldn't watch the review. I just... when I heard the first words, I almost threw my screen out of the window. I'm shaking of anger, SERIOUSLY. That video will probably soon be the first thing to come up of google when searching Wesnoth... And then we're all doomed.
Doomed? Doubt it. The project will continue no matter what the world in general might think if it. The worst the review could possibly do is hurt the mobile port sales, but I seriously doubt they'll be affected significantly in any way by this particular review.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

shadowmaster wrote:Only Kyle knows for sure, but I’d guess given the amount of source code changes involved in the 1.6 port, rebasing them against 1.8 could be nearly impossible without similar amounts of time/money/energy/chocolate investment.
Yeah, basically kyle had to entirely rebuild our graphics engine, because wesnoth without hardware acceleration takes something like a ÷10 speed hit. Wesnoth runs on 1st gen iPhone hardware, which means a 412mhz machine with only 40mb of free ram, and no swap (so aggressive caching isn't possible either).

What you really want to do for an iOS port, is to .. not have it be a port. iOS is very much like a regular linux OS, since apps can natively be C++, SDL, and OpenGL. So you just write a program that runs in that, and optimize it heavily enough that it works well on low end hardware. You then either make a UI that works on both computer and touch UIs (feasible if you forgo "hover" events for a mouse interface, or for a key interface you just use a virtual dpad/etc).

This is what we did for frogatto, and it means the iOS version won't ever fall out of date.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Did I hear correctly "wesnoth has a lot of content, maybe not a lot of depth" ? Because the same could be retorted to low-cost journalism.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

pauxlo wrote:
dipseydoodle wrote: Actually, Wesnoth IIRC has been rather popular in the past year or so(1.8 got 1 million downloads!).
It obviously depends on what you count as "rather popular" and "extremely popular".

If you ask average people on the street whether they have heard of (or even installed/played) BfW, how many would say "yes"?
That happened to me a few times actually :lol2:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

krotop wrote:Did I hear correctly "wesnoth has a lot of content, maybe not a lot of depth" ? Because the same could be retorted to low-cost journalism.
QFT.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Yeah, but they really didn't do their homework on it. My guess is they made it at the last-minute after fiddle-farting their time away on other stuff.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Frogger5 wrote:None of my friends even play free games on the computer. They either play video games, or online flash games. :P except my brother, but he tried Wesnoth and didn't like it.
Yeah, kind of the same... They just think that "free game = sucks"... :? Though some are the complete opposite, and think "commercial game = sucks". :lol:
Check out my sprites!