Can't code WML? Want someone else to make your content?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Can't code WML? Want someone else to make your content?

Post by Ken_Oh »

"The fact that you have no technical proficiency does not mean that your stat points went into creativity."

Just a little quote I picked up in a game dev forum elsewhere.
bigkahuna

Re: Can't code WML? Want someone else to make your content?

Post by bigkahuna »

:lol2: Nice. But for a second I was hoping you would do all my work for me :cry:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

"The fact that you have no technical proficiency does not mean that your stat points went into creativity."
So true!

You know, it's an actual fact that some people will spend more effort trying to get others to do their work for them than it would take to just do the work themselves. I know there's a trope for this, if only I could find it...
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I can just imagine how many times this thread will be linked to in the future... :lol2:
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I can just imagine how many times this thread will be linked to in the future...
You just gave me the rather evil idea to direct every rather annoying newb to this thread :lol2:
Join the new R2D forum!
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Ken_Oh wrote:"The fact that you have no technical proficiency does not mean that your stat points went into creativity."

Just a little quote I picked up in a game dev forum elsewhere.
Personally, I find this just a little needlessly insulting towards those without said technical proficiency. I could just as easily, and with just as much validity, counter by saying that "just because you lack technical proficiency doesn't mean you're not creative."
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

The Great Rings wrote:Personally, I find this just a little needlessly insulting towards those without said technical proficiency.
Calm down - it's just a joke.
The Great Rings wrote:I could just as easily, and with just as much validity, counter by saying that "just because you lack technical proficiency doesn't mean you're not creative."
You could, but the same would be true for everything. "Doesn't mean that..." can apply to every single thing you could ever think of. And since it is a joke, you don't really need to counter it. I suppose I'm sorry that it offended you... :hmm:
Join the new R2D forum!
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

It could technically speaking but it's all empty rhetoric, unless you're using the statement to stop people from jumping to sequential conclusions. Since neither statement offers a contextual causation to dispute, it'd be my opinion that both are equally lacking and empty rhetoric. I'd suggest a better retort as being "If I don't have any creativity, then how could I have content to code?" as it still points out the original quote's presumptuousness as intended but avoids sharing this one weakness. However it's hypocritical to criticize and/or disingenuous to claim creativity using stock quotes, so by the time these phrases get repeated, the whole conversation would be rather trite. I mean after all, wouldn't a flat out refusal would be just as effective, more to the point and perhaps even a bit less insulting?

So long as we're on the topic of witty quotes though, I was at a Christmas party a few days ago and saw a copy of Sticker Nation 2, which is a book which has a lot of stock phrases in the form of stickers. I can't say I particularly like the sort of punk style white on black font used but thumbing through all the phrases and the possibility of sticking them places is very. One sticker I thought the Wesnoth community might particularly enjoy read something like "Luck is random; preparedness for luck isn't." It's still a bit of an edgy statement perhaps but it's also a very astute observation that has many potential strategic applications within the context of one of the game's more commonly criticized elements.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The Great Rings wrote:Personally, I find this just a little needlessly insulting towards those without said technical proficiency. I could just as easily, and with just as much validity, counter by saying that "just because you lack technical proficiency doesn't mean you're not creative."
But that's not the point of the statement. As per the thread's title, the statement was directed towards those who come here and try and start with all the 'artists and coders and mappers wanted for x project that I'll be creating the story and concept for' stuff, rather than just trying to learn how to do those things themselves. These kind of person asks others to do the grunt work for him or her, while asking those people to trust in his or her creativity (which may or may not be as great as they think it is, as is stated in Ken_Oh's quoted statement in the OP). The statement is directed towards those people only, and not intended as a blanket statement that applies to everyone without technical expertise.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Just out of curiosity, how about those of us who have no aptitude whatsoever for programming; does that mean we're f*cked?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Either this, or you learn some other really useful skill like making sprite or portrait art, creating great maps, etc. (Or you prepare to pay someone for programming.)
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Or you could learn. It's not extremely difficult to do unit code if you actually try. I think the original post refers mainly to people that don't plan on contributing to their own idea.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Well, I guess I could always give sprite making a go… And I like to believe my map-making skills are quite good (but then again so does everyone else…). But I'm afraid programming is something that is beyond me; the few times I tried I only managed to give myself severe headaches. It's like I said; no aptitude for this whatsoever.
Araja

Post by Araja »

If you're doing something like basic unit abilities, then extending or modifying code you know works is quite successful. I've made some interesting play-with-friends units by finding the closest working example and adding or removing sections.

[/possiblyirrelevantattemptatadvice]
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Completely true. Understanding it kind of requires a small knowledge of RPGs. The statement doesn't say that a person lacks creativity if they ask for someone to code, it simply implies that a person doesn't have EXCESS creativity, as in, enough to make up for their lack of technical knowledge, and to make it worth your time to help.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra