Christmas gift ideas?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Huumy

Christmas gift ideas?

Post by Huumy »

I'm buying a christmas gift to my sisters son, he's 5. He asked for legos or some cool robot toy. I have no idea what to buy. So instead of going to shop and getting something that looks nice, can any1 suggest a good toy for 5-year-old boy who likes robots? He likes to play war with them so I guess he don't like any cute stuff :).

So links or names of any robot toys you might know or anything that 5-year-old boy would like (not anything electrical), plz. :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
Midnight_Carnival

Re: Christmas gift ideas?

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

a wisely chosen gift not only brings joy, but learning as well.

Get him one of those sets whith different metal things and a whole lot of nuts and bolts (five year old kids are too old to eat those) he will be able to apreciate it now, and more so when he gets older, as opposed to something he'll think is cool now, but grow out of in a year's time.

My favorite gifts were never the ones I asked for, but totally random things that people supprised me with... like the corpse truck.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd go with a LEGO robot :P
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'd go with a LEGO robot
:lol2: Same. Sorry Carnival, but giving a 5-year old a wrench and some nuts and bolts just seems kind of harsh (not to mention dangerous)...
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Legos are nice and I think what midnight refers to were called "meccano"s, they're kinda nice. I dunno for a 5-year old, though. A mix between the two could be "lego-technic"s, but I dunno if they still make them. Other nice toys include "play-mobile"s or "G.I.Joe"s. As a kid, although at first I liked things that looked complicated and all (like any kid), in the end, my favorite toys were a bunch a disparate, unarticulated plastic figures which I could use to build worlds and invent stories.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

LEGO's are awesome. I had a gazillion of them, back in the day.

The best LEGO robot ever made. The age recommendation might be a bit of a problem, though. :P

Some other options.

LEGO used to have a whole line of anime-ish combat robots, but the LEGO company discontinued that line a while back. You might still be able to find some through 3rd party retailers or such, though.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

There's this. I think it's like a rendition of Exo-Force, the Anime-esque combat-robot line Artistic mentioned.

And, yes, I used to love LEGO products...

Playmobil is decent, but it's nothing compared to LEGO. Maybe you could take a look-see around here.

Feliz Navidad!
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Oh man, I have a ton of lego creations sitting around. I need to put some more photos on my Brickjoint account.

I suggest getting some of the more youth-oriented sets. Bionicle would be a clear choice, except for the fact that they got replaced with the infinitely more uniformly designed Hero Factory sets. Still, one of the large box sets or just a canister-set would probably be more than enough as a gift.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Zerovirus wrote:Still, one of the large box sets or just a canister-set would probably be more than enough as a gift.
Five-year olds aren't picky. Any piece of colorful plastic will do. The box sets are larger and more colorful than usual :lol2: I think that you'll do fine with whatever you choose for him.

NOTE: The above statement, namely "Any piece of colorful plastic will do" has not been approved by the TRA (Tantrum Response Agency).
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Yeah...Zero beat me to it. Bionicle, the toyline at least, has been discontinued, (with a horrible Deus Ex Machina ending I might add, which is kind of disappointing since they put in a bunch of lead-ups on actual clever possibilities to defeat the villain.)

So yeah, I recommend getting Hero Factory. They're basically robots and if they're anything like the good ol' Bionicle sets of the past decade, then they'd be good for "war" as you call it.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
MsPacMan

Post by MsPacMan »

Tin can robots.... :shock: greatest things ever. My dad made me one when I was like three and I myself have built so many. They're even more epic when you install LED lights into it and tiny motors to make it walk and such. And who doesn't love homemede gifts? I highly reccomend it. Soda bottle rocketships and stirefoam plate UFOs are also amazing. Easy to make, cost effective, and eco friendly as well ^^
"It's good for your soul." "I wish I had a piece of cake..." I feel like taking a nap..." "I can sell you that." and "That's epic" are 95% of what I say. Now, I'm going to make some tots and play Pac-Man Marie-out
CookieBite

Post by CookieBite »

Huumy don't give a 5 year old legos' unless you cant find anything else. It's deadly yes deadly and the pieces go missing. The mother will be stuck cleaning it and what happens if they step on it. Learnt from experience that it really hurts and kills your foot. But if you cant find anything, go ahead. xD But don't say i didn't warn you about the foot ouchness in the predicted future.

I'd suggest perhaps a metal robot. Perhaps you can do what MsPacMan suggested and make one(Tin-Can robot) or search for one.If you're lucky find a controller one which can be moved around and controlled. ^^ Used to love playing with controllers when I was 5 Try Transformers/ Optimus Prime toy. I think they can be considered robots. Iron Man toy too. If your willing to spend a bit you could always get him a robot dog or a robosapient. Which both is not really needed for a 5 year old. I kinda think the robosapient is not sold anymore too. For example, http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/10/i-cy ... unleashed/ and http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-ROBOSAPIEN-Robo ... 746wt_1139

Either way, I'm sure the kid will be happy at Christmas. I hope everyone has a merry Christmas. x]
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

Awesome, there's so many replies :)
Midnight_Carnival wrote:a wisely chosen gift not only brings joy, but learning as well.

Get him one of those sets whith different metal things and a whole lot of nuts and bolts (five year old kids are too old to eat those) he will be able to apreciate it now, and more so when he gets older, as opposed to something he'll think is cool now, but grow out of in a year's time.
I'll keep this in my mind for next year, I think it's better gift then :).
thespaceinvader wrote:I'd go with a LEGO robot
Sounds like good idea :)
Dixie wrote:A mix between the two could be "lego-technic"s, but I dunno if they still make them. Other nice toys include "play-mobile"s or "G.I.Joe"s.
My sister said only "normal" legos because they already have lot of them :D. I'm not sure if there's any play-mobile toys in Finland. Tho it seems there's movie made based on G.I.Joe, G.I.Joe: The rise of the cobra :) and toys can be found in Finland too :)
artisticdude wrote:The best LEGO robot ever made. The age recommendation might be a bit of a problem, though.

Some other options.
I don't know about the big robot :D but this seemed nice Smaller lego robot and he likes lazers :)
Crushmaster wrote:There's this. I think it's like a rendition of Exo-Force, the Anime-esque combat-robot line Artistic mentioned.
Those would be cool, he's always asking about mtg cards and seems to be into them in his own way :D. It says released 2011 so I'll just bookmark this thread and I'll have gift ideas ready for his next birthday :)
Zerovirus wrote:I suggest getting some of the more youth-oriented sets. Bionicle would be a clear choice, except for the fact that they got replaced with the infinitely more uniformly designed Hero Factory sets. Still, one of the large box sets or just a canister-set would probably be more than enough as a gift.
Hero factory seems good :D.
bigkahuna wrote:Five-year olds aren't picky. Any piece of colorful plastic will do.
He is kinda picky :/. He has lot of toys already and I've had the opinion that hes spoiled in that regard - too many toys so he don't value any of them. So I'm kinda torn if I'll buy him new toy (if I buy one I want it to be something he likes), or maybe I come up with something else that not will be lost in his pile of toys.
Hulavuta wrote:Yeah...Zero beat me to it. Bionicle, the toyline at least, has been discontinued, (with a horrible Deus Ex Machina ending I might add, which is kind of disappointing since they put in a bunch of lead-ups on actual clever possibilities to defeat the villain.
So yeah, I recommend getting Hero Factory. They're basically robots and if they're anything like the good ol' Bionicle sets of the past decade, then they'd be good for "war" as you call it.)
I remember Bionicle being big thing few years ago, there was even movies about it :). But Hero Factory looked cool, and it's not too expensive either :).
MsPacMan wrote:Tin can robots.... greatest things ever. My dad made me one when I was like three and I myself have built so many. They're even more epic when you install LED lights into it and tiny motors to make it walk and such. And who doesn't love homemede gifts? I highly reccomend it. Soda bottle rocketships and stirefoam plate UFOs are also amazing. Easy to make, cost effective, and eco friendly as well ^^
This actually looks really cool. I found videos on youtube and it seems they sell these boxes with intructions and parts in it, all you need is a soda can :). If I can find one of these I will get him 2 gifts. Don't know if he likes it or not cause it's not so fiercome so I'll prolly get him something and this. Knowing you made something yourself feels better than just buying from the shelf :).
CookieBite wrote:Huumy don't give a 5 year old legos' unless you cant find anything else. It's deadly yes deadly and the pieces go missing. The mother will be stuck cleaning it and what happens if they step on it. Learnt from experience that it really hurts and kills your foot. But if you cant find anything, go ahead. xD But don't say i didn't warn you about the foot ouchness in the predicted future.

I'd suggest perhaps a metal robot. Perhaps you can do what MsPacMan suggested and make one(Tin-Can robot) or search for one.If you're lucky find a controller one which can be moved around and controlled. ^^ Used to love playing with controllers when I was 5 Try Transformers/ Optimus Prime toy. I think they can be considered robots. Iron Man toy too. If your willing to spend a bit you could always get him a robot dog or a robosapient. Which both is not really needed for a 5 year old. I kinda think the robosapient is not sold anymore too. For example, http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/10/i-cy ... unleashed/ and http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-ROBOSAPIEN-Robo ... 746wt_1139
The robosapien is kinda too cool toy for my liking :D. Optimus prime seems nice, he already has a toy that can transform from this weird kinda walker to a ball. Iron man has lot of guns, I think he would like it :D.
There's so many good ideas I'll have to see the one which I think has the best prize/coolness ratio and if I can also find a tin can robot pack I'll make one or if I find good instructions from the web.
Oh the legos middle of the floor at morning it hurts :augh:
CookieBite wrote:I hope everyone has a merry Christmas. x]
Yeah, merry Christmas to every1! :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

I think I was about 5, maybe 7, when my dad and my grandfather introduced me to model rocketry. Buy a launchpad starter kit and an Estees rocket, either one of those pre-assembled decorate it yourself ones, or the Level 1 not to hard to build it yourself ones, and give him a hand building it. Hours of fun, and educational to boot. I personally blame Estees, among other child-marketed science stuff, for my career choice in engineering.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A mature 5-year-old could manage LEGO - but I think CookieBite might be right here, that it's a little old for the child. But DUPLO is probably a little young. Hmm.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.