Blizzard rips through Upper Midwest

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Blizzard rips through Upper Midwest

Post by ancestral »

Anyone else live here in the Upper Midwest? We got 17 inches of snow in Minneapolis. It was so bad they took the buses off the street. Some interstate highways were deemed too dangerous to drive on in Wisconsin, and the roof collapsed to the Metrodome, postponing and likely relocating the Vikings-Giants football game.

It took over an hour to shovel out my car from the driveway through the alley. From what I've heard, it's the biggest blizzard in almost 20 years, and that we've had ⅔ of our annual average winter snowfall already, and it's not even technically winter yet!

Anyone else stuck in this?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Captain_Wrathbow

Re: Blizzard rips through Upper Midwest

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

:augh: You're not alone. Where I live, we got about one foot of snow, so it sounds like you had it worse, but it was by no means pleasant for me either.

I had to get up two hours earlier than usual to shovel my way out of the driveway just so I could get a car out and get to church. (And when I got there, I discovered that less than half of the usual congregation had attended today)

And when I got back from church, I had to shovel the driveway again, just cause of the snow that had blown back onto it from the wind.

...I'm not planning on going back out for anything today.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I also live in the Midwest at the moment (Ohio). It's not too bad here for the moment but it looks like it'll be getting worse soon. I do not think it will get as bad as some of the blizzards we've had in the past 10 years (most notably one that started out mainly as an ice storm and thus the power went down and it was awhile before it came back). Still, not a day to go outside without good reason.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
johndh

Post by johndh »

Ah, snow. I haven't seen that stuff up close in something like fourteen years.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I'm down South so not a problem for me :wink: We're lucky if we get any snow, though. Maybe you guys can send some down here?
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

bigkahuna wrote:I'm down South so not a problem for me :wink: We're lucky if we get any snow, though. Maybe you guys can send some down here?
Heh, same here. It never really snows down here, which I guess is both good and bad.

Merry Christmas!
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

ahh, what I would give for 17 inches of snow :( ... Here in New Hampshire we just got some freezing rain that makes walking down the sidewalk a risky business. I cannot wait for the first big storm, so I can get out and ski.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Yeah, it's perfect for skiing and sledding, the places around here won't have to make their own snow now!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Blizzard Watch just ended for my area. Hooray! :D
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

And saddly, we had good snow up here in Quebec this week, but today's been above 0, with a little rain in the evening: there's not going to be much left tomorrow or the day after. I wish we had more snow :(
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Dixie wrote:And saddly, we had good snow up here in Quebec this week, but today's been above 0, with a little rain in the evening: there's not going to be much left tomorrow or the day after. I wish we had more snow :(
We have the same problem here. It was -10ºC, and now, it's 5ºC. Weather can sometimes be quite a [censored].
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:| Just got done shovelling over 1/2m (e.g. 2') of snow off a small sidewalk. Ugh.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Enjoy your Ragnarök, Americans! :twisted:
For the dark gods!
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Girgistian wrote:Enjoy your Ragnarök, Americans! :twisted:
Well, that was...interesting.

Feliz Navidad!
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Girgistian wrote:Enjoy your Ragnarök, Americans! :twisted:
If this is Ragnarok, it is not going as scripted. There's supposed to be some good show to watch and battles to be fought.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."