Please read: A personal appeal from shadowmaster

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Please read: A personal appeal from shadowmaster

Post by Iris »

For the forum game players:

link.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Please read: A personal appeal from shadowmaster

Post by Gambit »

*bump*
pleaseread2.jpg
Thread unlocked. Discuss.
The policy that is… not the image. Or the image I guess. It's pretty awesome. No really though; we want to hear what you guys think.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Agreed in a 9999%
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't know anything about the security angle, but I do know that large, active, and pointless off-topic threads make the forum search function a little more difficult to use.

So, I agree.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Forum games are not for me. However I have no problem with other people play them. As long it is of no disturbance to the other forum users things should be fine.
I agree on the other hand that it's no use to have people register simply for one or two forum game threads.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I agree too. I've repented :|
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

I agree, though I don't really know how we should "get rid" of the non-Wesnoth people.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

I've never played a forum game before, and only joined this one because I frequent the Wesnoth forums for legitimate purposes. I understand all the issues you describe.

You could tell the GM of the game to only include people who are active members and contributing to the forum/game? Also, just limit the occurance of these kinds of threads - the current R2D isn't too much of a blight; just don't allow any more to be created.
johndh

Post by johndh »

The other moderators and I on another gaming forum have recently been locking a flood of pointless "what is your favorite X?" threads on our off-topic board because it was getting so out of hand, and our forum is much smaller than this one.
Our response:
Edit: Spoiler'd for clutter.
Last edited by johndh on December 6th, 2010, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Perhaps putting a post requirement for use in the OT forum would be useful, as it would do a couple things:

1) Prevent people from joining solely to spambot/troll/play forum games in OT

2) Allow us to see what *kinds* of posts users are making to get to the minimum cap: are they intellegent posters w/ good sense, or simply +1ing till they can get into the OT
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I knew it would be a good idea to get some input on this.

So some things people have mentioned so far:
1. Some people do enjoy forum games. Also "forum game" is a broad category and some may be more fun for certain individuals than others.
2. Forum games clog the search feature (I didn't think of this angle, but yes it's true. Almost all the hits for the word "lock" for example are in R2D).
3. We don't want people to register just to use forum games. However there have been legitimate uses of the off topic section by non community members in the past. Such as spreading awareness of other OSS projects.
4. Forum games are not worth keeping around.

I think the solution is pretty easy. Forum games get their own subsection. It could have a decently long autoprune so that we're only keeping the most popular 70 page games. It won't be indexed for searching, and it won't get an atom feed. Additionally maybe it should be invisible to guests and you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere. What do you guys think?
johndh

Post by johndh »

Gambit wrote: I think the solution is pretty easy. Forum games get their own subsection. It could have a decently long autoprune so that we're only keeping the most popular 70 page games. It won't be indexed for searching, and it won't get an atom feed. Additionally maybe it should be invisible to guests and you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere. What do you guys think?
That sounds good, except I think giving them their own section endorses/legitimizes them, which might encourage them in a way. I guess that's not necessarily bad if it's auto-pruned, but just something to think about.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

That's one way to think about it. Another way is that we're shoving the disgusting little buggers off into a corner where we don't have to look at them.

Then there's the happy medium viewpoint wherein this is the best thing for everyone.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Gambit wrote:I knew it would be a good idea to get some input on this.

[snip]

I think the solution is pretty easy. Forum games get their own subsection. It could have a decently long autoprune so that we're only keeping the most popular 70 page games. It won't be indexed for searching, and it won't get an atom feed. Additionally maybe it should be invisible to guests and you can't post in it until you get a certain post count elsewhere. What do you guys think?
Disable post count for that section as well, and sounds good. ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

And search indexing. Make it a child board of Off-Topic, so it's not too prominent on the main page. I'm not a fan of them, but when they start, it's tough to stop them.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.