long live independency (?)

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dunno

long live independency (?)

Post by Dunno »

Today is Independency Day in Poland. After 123 years of occupation, our country regained independency on 11.11.1918. But that's not why I'm posting this. I just wanted to share my... disappointment. In most other countries (at least I think so) great anniversaries like this are celebrated with dignity and solidarity, by everyone. Not by just one political party, or one church!
Today, Polish nationalist organization organized a demonstration. Of course, it was blocked by anti-fascism organization. Police had to surround both sides to avoid fights. Many men were arrested, several were hurt. Someone else destroyed a memorial to those who were tortured by nazis in Pawiak prison (I wonder who...?). How can we support those who took our freedom away? I will never understand this. It saddens me that Polish nation can unite only when attacked by someone. I mean, it's like someone would take your right to celebrate 4th of July away just because you don't share their ideology. Anniversaries of great national events should unite people not divide... If anyone's interested in this, I recommend this video. I can translate a little if you're even more interested.
Thanks for reading, I just had to rant a little :augh:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Zachron

Re: long live independency (?)

Post by Zachron »

It's a sad truth that sometimes a people or a nation might forget who they are. If they define their nationalism by their political party, ethnic, or religious group, then they shut themselves off from one another. Civil war could result--it even happened in America at one point... But enough of the painfully obvious. There really is no easy answer for this. You know this conflict better than I ever will. My suggestion would be to find out as much as you can about the actual origins of the holiday, then decide for yourself whether it has any pertinence to you, and I would wager to say that you have already done that. What the people who feel unwelcome or disenfranchised need to do is evaluate whether this celebration is pertinent to them and, if it is, fight for their right to it(and they will win) but, if it is not, ignore it altogether.(and it will die because only that which is pertinent to the people remains cherished by the people) Sadly that probably will not resolve any conflict, if it does not create more. It would merely make the society more aware of who they are.

Nationalistic movements that exclude people who hold citizenship in said nations are inherently unpatriotic, seeing as patriotism must be defined as a love for a nation, its lands, and its peoples. Then again, I'm just a stupid American projecting my world view onto others.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Zachron wrote:Nationalistic movements that exclude people who hold citizenship in said nations are inherently unpatriotic, seeing as patriotism must be defined as a love for a nation, its lands, and its peoples. Then again, I'm just a stupid American projecting my world view onto others.
I thought that as an American you'd be the best one to talk about patriotism. :P
...and now we'll wait for someone to come and point out that "not every american is a patriot" and na-na-na-na-na.
For the dark gods!
NuclearWorm

Post by NuclearWorm »

Not every americain is a patriot. Also, Na-na-na-na.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

you missed the last na :P
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Girgistian wrote:
Zachron wrote:Nationalistic movements that exclude people who hold citizenship in said nations are inherently unpatriotic, seeing as patriotism must be defined as a love for a nation, its lands, and its peoples. Then again, I'm just a stupid American projecting my world view onto others.
I thought that as an American you'd be the best one to talk about patriotism. :P
...and now we'll wait for someone to come and point out that "not every american is a patriot" and na-na-na-na-na.
Point taken.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
NuclearWorm

Post by NuclearWorm »

Pentarctagon wrote:you missed the last na :P
Na.

Na.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I'm completely with the original post bit (if I read it correctly).
Why does saying you love your country so often get twisted into swearing your aliegance to some political party or religious group.

Everybody comes from a country where some people did stupid things. It is in human nature to do stupid things, it is also in human nature to stand back and watch people doing stupid things (especially if the people concerned are carrying guns)... and then for 100 years or so after somebody fixed it saying 'I love my country' means 'I support the stupid things people in my country used to do' -even if you were only born long after the problem was fixed and came from the people who suffered as a result of the stupid things others were doing (to them?) ... it makes no sense to me.

...gets really bad when political parties hyjack sports. Don't laugh, it really happens :annoyed:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.