Playstation 2

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tonepoet

Re: Playstation 2

Post by Tonepoet »

Fatties are selling on amazon for $43 and should work better than the slimline ones that've had a lot of their hardware cut out, making it so that an actual PS2 might not be fully compatible with the PS2 library. At least so I've heard anyway. The memory card is about five dollars over that. I just bought a second copy of Disgaea 1 for 17 dollars in a store.

Also don't sweat it if you find a fat PS2 that doesn't come with the power or video cords. Those things are essentially the cheap nearly standardized ones you should be able to find on the back of most radios. The standard composite video cables are cheap as well. Replacing both should only cost you about 8 bucks total for a fat PS3 or you can go with a better video option as mentioned below:

Official PS2 component cables sell for about $20 new, offering you progressive scan on certain games on EDTVs and HDTVs if you hit triangle+x upon startup.

If your T.V. is only Standard Def. it probably has an S-video input which transmits a purer 480i signal to the T.V. This should run you about $15 in place of the composite video mentioned above.

With the improved video cable, this brings you up to about $80-85+S/H for a much better package than what you've been currently offered, assuming the lowball price gets you controllers. I would suppose finding a used copy of Disgaea at a good price is an iffy proposition but some other good games cost way less, since most stores are stuck with a glut of overstock.

Also you might want to consider one of the original PS3s which have PS2 compatibility. It's a fair bit more expensive, ranging at 250+ but I'll go into detail as to what I know about that if asked.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Haha, I doubt I'll be getting anything more then $120.
I checked amazon... Do you know if they are REALLY good quality as "promised"?
Also, I've seen some Memory Cards, are the higher memory ones actually the better?
Because I've heard some people say they aren't very good.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

I can't make guarantees on the behalf of others, be it amazon, ebay or even brick 'n mortar merchants unfortunately. You'll just have to go by reputation and hope for the best there, which is greatly aided by the feedback system. In the event that you have a problem you'll have to file a dispute with your credit card company or paypal.

As par the memory cards, I've only ever used 8mb ones and I haven't checked back in on them recently. They're probably your safer bet, since I hear official Nintendo branded high capacity Gamecube cards face incompatibility issues with some older games. This suggests that trying to expand upon the anticipated storage banks posed a problem for hardware detection of the time.

My main question concerning memory cards is how they retain data. If it works like I think it does, like an external cartridge with a battery backup in the device you could face losing your ability to save games some years down the road. Then again the Dreamcast VMUs don't require a battery to maintain saves so perhaps later consoles don't need them.

On a side note I'm supposing you're not yet in the market for a bluray player, right? I ask because the cheapest ones cost around 130 bucks, the 20g PS3 costs 250 used. 250 - 130 = 120, albeit you'd have to add 20 for the component cable since the 20g model is a bit stripped down and doesn't have an HDMI port [or wifi for that matter...] Eh, unlikely but it's worth mentioning on the off chance, since 20G PS3s are as backwards compatible as the 60G units are, which is to say almost fully.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Well considering I don't see many games for PS3 that I'd like, except maybe 2 or 3, and the PS2 is less than half the price...
I think I'd just go with the $45 System with $20 Games, instead of a $200 System with $50 Games. :P
And I doubt I'd get Blu-Ray stuff anyway.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Moribund wrote:I reckon you can probably find them for real cheap, as it is a fairly old console now. But the price you found it for would still be worth it, it is, comparing them in the context of their own eras, the best console ever made, IMO. And even comparing to modern day standards, it is the second best console you can buy (second to the PS3).
No, an Xbox 360 is better. Hell, even an Xbox is better. Gaystations don't have Halo.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Zigg wrote:No, an Xbox 360 is better. Hell, even an Xbox is better. Gaystations don't have Halo.
I have Halo and a Xbox... Halo is far from the best game I've played as well as the Xbox the best system.
Most games are boring and graphics are no better than good old TES: Morrowing (meaning they are pretty bad for 3D).

And the Xbox 360?! Dude, Halo isn't the only good FPS out there, and most others are released for most other systems.
Plus PS3 has MAG which is an exclusive and likely much better, IT CAN HAVE LIKE 164 PLAYERS!
As well as FREE ONLINE PLAY!

But anyway... I've recently heard Buy.com and E-Cost.com Might be good to check, so I'll get back to this later...
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

JackBarber wrote:
Zigg wrote:No, an Xbox 360 is better. Hell, even an Xbox is better. Gaystations don't have Halo.
I have Halo and a Xbox... Halo is far from the best game I've played as well as the Xbox the best system.
Most games are boring and graphics are no better than good old TES: Morrowing (meaning they are pretty bad for 3D).

And the Xbox 360?! Dude, Halo isn't the only good FPS out there, and most others are released for most other systems.
Plus PS3 has MAG which is an exclusive and likely much better, IT CAN HAVE LIKE 164 PLAYERS!
As well as FREE ONLINE PLAY!

But anyway... I've recently heard Buy.com and E-Cost.com Might be good to check, so I'll get back to this later...
"Burn the Heretic, Shipmaster!"
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Dood, you're crazy. Who'd buy a console just to play Halo at this point? There's a way to run a legal copy on almost any computer made within the last 4 years, which is about the average upgrade cycle. I even saw it at the Apple Store once. Also with 360 controllers being compatible with just about every windows P.C. we have yet another reason less to bother playing it on a dedicated console. Are there even any compelling original xBox exclusives that don't work on either Windows or some form of Playstation? I certainly can't think of any. A PS2 is the wiser choice for a last generation console. That's why Sony still makes 'em. Albeit to be honest I'm a bit more of a Gamecube fan if not only because it's the only way to get my Smash Bros. and Mario fix.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

let me say this again:
I have my PS2 for 8 years with no crash, my Xbox 360 crashed after 6 months. I have around 50 games for PS2 (cheap!) and 7 games for xbox, every one of them is almost two times more expensive than average PS2 game. I have had PS3 for two weeks and I was disappointed- it was very loud and DAMN expensive. So for now, I'll just stick with PS2 and Xbox 360 (after it crashed, Microsoft gave us another one for free, so one point for MS)
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Tonepoet wrote: Are there even any compelling original xBox exclusives that don't work on either Windows or some form of Playstation? I certainly can't think of any.
Ace Combat 6
Amped 3
Banjo Kazooie
Battle Angel
Blue Dragon
Chrome Hounds
Crackdown
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive Code: Cronus
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 2
Deadliest Catch
Dog Tag
Eternal Sonata
Fable 2
Forza 2
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST
Halo Reach
Halo Wars
Hour of Victory
Infinite Undiscovery
Kameo: Elements of Power
Last Remnant
Lost Odyssey
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Ninety-Nine Nights
Outfit
Perfect Dark Zero
Project Gotham Racing 3
Project Sylpheed
Saints Row
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Star Trek:Legacy
Time Shift
Too Human
Virtua Fighter 5
Viva Pinata: Party Animals

And more...

In fact, the Xbox 360 has 117 more games than the PS3.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Viva Pinata...? I mean, wtf? After examples like that it's hard to believe there's more :roll:
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

I just copied the first few examples on a list...
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Uhm, the 360 is not the "original" xBox. I was talking about the giant black box with the big ol' green X right on top of it that you. Not the white thing that looks kinda like a P.C. on slimfast. Since the 360 came before the PS3 and the PS3 had a hard time picking up steam with its 600 dollar price tag, so it wouldn't be so surprising if the 360 had had more games. He's not in the market for either current gen. console right now since they're too expensive and a current gen./prior gen. comparison isn't entirely fair.

Also concerning your list, it's worth noting that your source is probably off. The first game I checked on that list, Star Ocean: The Last Hope is not a 360 exclusive as it also appears on the PS3. Fable III is also on Microsoft Windows if that counts for anything. I must give you credit in that it's not totally defunct but at the same time, it's unsurprising that the Microsoft subsidiaries Rare and Bungie make 360 exclusives. DoA is rather shocking though; in the past it was a dual platform series. As for the rest, I haven't heard of them.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Seriously, I'm as much a fan of the Halo franchise as any, but applying one game as an example of a console's value is a bit illogical, don't you think? You didn't even try to put up an argument, instead hiding behind the shield of fandom. The only bit of evidence you've really offered is your list, which, as pointed out, isn't all accurate.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Console war!!!

Yeah just glancing casually I see a lot errors, like Virtua Fighter 5 and Eternal Sonata, two games which I own. Besides, none of thos games are even good. The only big names are DoA (which is famous for being the most shallow fighter), Fable (which is also on PC and dissapointed everyone), Too Human, which flopped, and Halo which is well, Halo.

PS3: Playing online is free, the controller is indisputably superior, Move > Kinect (though no one really cares about motion control), better exclusives like LBP, Gran Turismo, God of War, ModNationRacers, Heavy Rain, MGS4, Uncharted, etc., better community (less whiny 8 year olds and less hackers), plays Blu Rays, has an internet browser, etc. etc. Does the Xbox even have USB ports?