Open Source and Capitalism

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Re: Open Source and Capitalism

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Capitalism is a silly idea anyway, a romanitc misconception.

Like "If we change THE BOTTOM LINE from 'who gets eaten at the end of the day' to 'how much money will it make?' the world will be a better place".

But Capitalism is also a system, like martial arts. Applying it to the way you rule your country is like applying the style you have learnt to a fight. Chances are, if you say "Oh no, I can't knee you in the groin, that's not on-target!" you are going to be the one who's eaten at the end of the day!

-I'm still mystified as to the relevance of this in terms of Open Source stuff, but...
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
e7th04sh

Re: Open Source and Capitalism

Post by e7th04sh »

We shouldn't drift into a debate over different perceptions of capitallism role and impact on the world. However a simple retort must follow now. Free market economy does change the rules we have to follow. Property is secured by tax funded state and violence is limited to enforcing democratic law. This is more or less sufficient and essential for establishing a free market economy. And now noone is being "eaten" by another person, people either tolerate or cooperate with each other. This limits the events in human life that contradict his will to those natural - effects of human nature and environment - and those criminal, that the society will attempt to prevent or punish.

Is that just changing the vocabulary? I think not.