so, after 1.9, what?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mountain_King
Translator

so, after 1.9, what?

Post by Mountain_King »

This could be the wrong place to post this (and if it is I am truly sorry). Now that Wesnoth 1.9 is out, what will the next stable version be called? This is what I have been hearing:
1.10 because it is the tenth in the 1.x series.

2.0 because it comes after 1.9. (1.0 came after 0.9)
So, my question is, which is it? If it is 1.10, then has the game not improved enough since 1.0 that it could be called 2.0? I am curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Go mbeannai Dia duit!
Mountain_King
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Re: so, after 1.9, what?

Post by ivanovic »

Mountain_King wrote:So, my question is, which is it? If it is 1.10, then has the game not improved enough since 1.0 that it could be called 2.0? I am curious as to the reasoning behind it.
A 2.0 release is not simply determined following the "oh, we reached >.9 behind the first '.'". Yes, the numbers behind a '.' can have several digits, have a look at the linux kernel, what is possible there (they are currently working on 2.6.36). So yeah, the next stable series will most likely be 1.10, though it is not sure when it will be ready.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Mountain_King wrote:This could be the wrong place to post this (and if it is I am truly sorry). Now that Wesnoth 1.9 is out, what will the next stable version be called?
More past discussion the OP might find interesting.
Normally you'd get told to go use the forum's search feature (this has been asked several times now), but it looks like all the most relevant terms are too common or short. Lucky. :P
obnoxiousman

Post by obnoxiousman »

Geez... You'd think these programmers would know a little about decimals. Here. Look at this. 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.0. Or, 0.0.9.0, 0.0.9.1, 0.0.9.2, 0.0.9.3, 0.0.9.4, 0.0.9.5, 0.0.9.6, 0.0.9.7, 0.0.9.8, 0.0.9.9, 0.1.0.0. See? (I am a geek. I like decimals, unless I am dividing them by themselves.)
"Oh, Hamlet, thou hast cleft my heart in twain!" --William (Bill) Shakespeare, Hamlet
I made The Brotherhood of Wesnoth, a super fun (and incomplete) Campaign!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

obnoxiousman wrote:Geez... You'd think these programmers would know a little about decimals.
We do know about decimals. However, version numbers are not decimals. They are a sequence of integers separated by periods to indicate major version, minor version, and release number.

Now let's hope you never have to deal with IP addresses....

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

obnoxiousman: you may have been joking. It didn't seem like it. Please, do not live up to your username any more, or you will swiftly find yourself as bannedman.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

You know, I've always thought that both IPs and version numbers should switch to use a different divider notation, to avoid confusion with decimals. The "⋅" symbol, perhaps, so that Wesnoth 1.9.2 would be rendered as Wesnoth 1⋅9⋅2. You could do the same with IP addresses.

Of course, "⋅" has a mathematical meaning of its own, so this would risk another form of confusion. But that's far less widely known than the meaning of the decimal point, so the number of people confused would be a great deal smaller and, most likely, easier to educate on the distinction.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sangel wrote:You know, I've always thought that both IPs and version numbers should switch to use a different divider notation, to avoid confusion with decimals. The "⋅" symbol, perhaps, so that Wesnoth 1.9.2 would be rendered as Wesnoth 1⋅9⋅2. You could do the same with IP addresses.
Fear not, for IPv6 brings a new divider to us! The colon.

On the other hand, components are hexadecimal, so that brings us to a whole new interpretation problem.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well this is pretty interesting. I guess since it's becoming less about Wesnoth I'll move it over here to off-topic.
I of course prefer the AwesomeSemicolon™ for separating things like this.
Fear not, for IPv6 brings a new divider to us! The colon.
Ah. So we only have to wait a few more months for sensible separators in IP addresses. ^_^
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I vote for the SHA-1 hash (or any unique initial substring of it) of the source tree as the version numbers:
718fd738eed290a32c34e93d57f371f1a794f0ef
Note: Not the actual SHA-1 hash of any Wesnoth source tree

Or maybe we can start naming releases. Dunno, maybe names from the campaigns.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I don't see the problem with decimal points in version numbers. It's a clear dividing mark, and it's not hard to understand when it is explained. Plus you get to say "one point nine point one". If it was a multiplication dot, what would it be? One times nine times one? Or if it was a semicolon; "one nine one"....
obnoxiousman

Post by obnoxiousman »

Sorry. Being a eighth grade homeschooled kid, I am associated with a lot of decimals.
Dave wrote:Version numbers are not decimals. They are a sequence of integers separated by periods to indicate major version, minor version, and release number.
David
Thanks, Dave. I have never really seen it that way.
Wrathbow: I agree about the decimal points.
"Oh, Hamlet, thou hast cleft my heart in twain!" --William (Bill) Shakespeare, Hamlet
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's not a matter of seeing it that way or otherwise. They're not decimals. There's only ever one decimal point in a decimal number. There are two in a version number, not to mention the occasional letter.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
obnoxiousman

Post by obnoxiousman »

What meant by 'seeing it that way' was this. i always thought of a version number as a decimal number, or a fraction. Like this: 1.5 means one and a half. 1.9.1 to me was just 1.91 with an extra decimal point. So it was like one and ninety-one hundreths. See what I mean? I geuss I'm not a develepor, so I'm gonna quit posting in here.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Not every country around the world uses dot as a decimal separator(or however you call it), you know. In Poland, for example, we use commas. Dots are used when writing a big number to make reading easier. So one millon and a half would be written like this : 1.000.000,5
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?