To the Death!

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

To the Death!

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

<carefully checks posting guidelines and hopes this is ok...>

Ok, everybody loves those stages where they just keep throwing Walking Corpses at you... and I'm sure some of you have thought about facing a zombie apocalypse in real life, some of you might have even taken precautions against it...
But zombies are so cliche'd! there are so many other level 0 units in Wesnoth to consider. For example, what about the Goblin Apocalypse, or the Mudglob Apocalypse? Including all the UMCs, what do you think owuld be the worst lv 0 unit apocalypse? My vote goes to the Peasant Apocalypse, hands down!

I mean imagine it:
"We found a witch, can we burn her?"
and when you hit them they'd shout about being repressed. There's not much you can do against thousands of ignorant beligerent peasants, just ask the Orcs in the Northern Rebirth campaign.

Appart from that, have you personally witnessed, or been a part of a "to the death" struggle that you would consider comparable to 3 undead players surrounding you and just recruting Walking Corpses? I'm involved with one right now, and I'll give you the details if you like (it is a good story, promise).
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: To the Death!

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I'm for the Vampire Bat apocalypse. You enter a cave, and see hundreds of the hanging in the ceiling. One wrong move and they'll all wake up...
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Midnight_Carnival

Sgt. Groovy wrote:I'm for the Vampire Bat apocalypse. You enter a cave, and see hundreds of the hanging in the ceiling. One wrong move and they'll all wake up...
After the hot and sour pork noodles I made, Vampire Bats wouldn't touch me (4tablespoons of crushed garlic and ginger :twisted: ) neither will mosquitoes, vampires, leeches, women, polcats or other scary little monsters. Garlic breath won't keep Goblin spearmen away though.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Midnight_Carnival wrote: I mean imagine it:
"We found a witch, can we burn her?"
and when you hit them they'd shout about being repressed. There's not much you can do against thousands of ignorant beligerent peasants, just ask the Orcs in the Northern Rebirth campaign.
:lol2: Some scenes from Monty Python's Holy Grail - That movie is pure awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xd_zkME ... ure=search
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_l5nti ... ure=search

Sorry for off-topicness, I jsut had to :P
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
johndh

Post by johndh »

I hate vampire bats! :evil: They're by far the most annoying enemy in Wesnoth, in my opinion. :augh: (And please nobody link to the trope article about Gosh-Darn Bats. Thanks. :P )
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

WCs or bats would be by far the most difficult to deal with. The rest are pretty easy meat.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

I don't really think defensive attrition wars of single unit types would be really fun in Wesnoth as basically you would set up a good position and then it's up to luck. Not to mention that such a scenario would favour the defender immensely considering how powerful the leveling system is.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Not even that. Single unit fights are more or less either winnable or losable IMO. If you can, on average, kill more GP worth of the enemy than you lose, you win.

Turuk and I tested out this assertion a while ago - gobbos vs WCs. Gobbos got hammered, cos they simply couldn't reliably kill more than one WC before dieing. Orcs vs WCs won.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

thespaceinvader wrote:Not even that. Single unit fights are more or less either winnable or losable IMO. If you can, on average, kill more GP worth of the enemy than you lose, you win.

Turuk and I tested out this assertion a while ago - gobbos vs WCs. Gobbos got hammered, cos they simply couldn't reliably kill more than one WC before dieing. Orcs vs WCs won.
Interesting.

To answer the original question...
Personally, I think a Rowboat apocalypse would be most interesting... oh wait, actually that's a level 1... why is that? :?
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

What faction are rowboats from?

My vote goes to the insect swarm units from nightmares of meloean: 5-1 and an extra strike for every adjacent ally swarm. Besides, plagues of insects are pretty bad, and we know that from experience.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Rowboat is a "fake" unit that's not actually used in game. But it has an image and unit file in core.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Ruffian apocalypse beats zombie apocalypse hands down… :lol:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Ruffian apocalypse would get mashed by WC apocalypse. Unless each ruffian could guarantee killing at least two WCs before it died, the WC numbers would only increase.
Midnight_Carnival

You're talking Apocalypse vs Apocalypse, not Apocalypse vs you
I mean come on, you have some contingency play (yes, probably misspelled) or some hardware to deal with zombies or undead, admit it! for me it is a golf-club in the bathroom (incase a skeleton come in while I'm on the toilet), a 6ft quaterstaff of ash and access to holy water 8)

...but peasants, seriously!
(and you know what's worse? no cop worth his salt will arrest you for flaming zombies during a zombie apocalypse, he'll probalby help, but killing peasants is generally frowned uppon these days)
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

hmm... maybe it should be an apocalypse with all of these against eachother
ruffian
peasant
bat
wc
mudglob
goblin
rowboat (I dont care if they are level one)
and then maybe some random level ones from add-ons like maybe
squire
civilian

now that would be an epic battle :Awesome: