Prosilver or Subsilver2?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What forum style do you prefer?

Prosilver
15%
Subsilver2
35%
Wesnoth (Subsilver2-based)
41%
AcidTech (Subsilver2-based)
6%
None of the above (specify)
4%

Total votes: 54

silene

Re: Prosilver or Subsilver2?

Post by silene »

My vote goes to Subsilver2. It's bland, but at least it doesn't hurt my eyes as much as AcidTech and ProSilver. AcidTech is written white on black; it was perhaps a good idea at the time people were still using CRT screens, but now it's just wrong. ProSilver is not as bad as AcidTech, but it's unfortunate they removed the frames around posts. As a consequence, a post page looks uniformly pale blue, so the section information is lost, contrarily to SubSilver2.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I normally prefer dark themes, but acidtech is rather tacky.

I haven't spent much time in a prosilver based forum in quite a while. With a few minutes comparison i notice points in favor of both prosilver and subsilver.

But especially if there's a effort to mod prosilver to fix some issues, i would think it hard to argue that we need to keep both if it's a maintenance pain.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Of those shown in the links, I prefer subsilver2. But my preference for this forum is for the wesnoth theme.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Sorry, I got to specify right?

Dfool!
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Acid Tech is acid in my eyes. :P
subsilver 2 and wesnoth are both ok, as a fallback prosilver.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I personnally really prefer the actual Wesnoth. It's probably not perfect, but it's effective, and less bland than subsilver. If you must absolutely change it, my second vote goes to Acid Tech: I thought it read well, and was still more attractive the subsilver. I really dislike to white-grey forums with blue frames...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I voted for subsilver2, but if subsilver's days are numbered, I guess I could get used to Prosilver. As long as the board is relatively clean and simply, I'd be happy. Something like Acid Tech makes it very clear to any coworker glancing over my shoulder that I am goofing off. It's a form of NSFW.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

silene wrote:ProSilver is not as bad as AcidTech, but it's unfortunate they removed the frames around posts. As a consequence, a post page looks uniformly pale blue, so the section information is lost, contrarily to SubSilver2.
Hmm. What do you think of SE Square Left?

It's what we use at Warzone: http://forums.wz2100.net/

It has subtle borders around posts.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
silene

Post by silene »

Zarel wrote:Hmm. What do you think of SE Square Left?
It has subtle borders around posts.
A bit too subtile, but that's better. I wouldn't mind if the lines were wider and/or more contrasted.
boru

Post by boru »

A Prosilver oddity: from the "View new posts" page there is a handy link to "View your posts" (just like Subsilver). From the "View your posts" page, there is the same link to "View your posts" and none to "View new posts."
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

I like 'Glass Green' and 'Glossy Black', I also like 'AcidTech Tiger' 'Prospace' and 'Black Pearl', those are my favorites, although you guys might want to keep the forums light, as they are now, in which case I think it would be nice to have 'RedSteel'or 'RedSilver, 'Revolution' or 'Sabah_Kirimzi'... Yep, I think that's it... also, to mention a light one without red, 'SoftWood' or 'AutumnsColor'... Hope you guys go for one of those... :D

Edit: Although, that is just for the looks, about usage, I'll edit this post later, when I have time to check every single one of the ones I posted earlier.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

It seems Prosilver is kind for eyes.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I use the Wesnoth skin, and really like this color scheme, so it would be nice if it stayed available.
On one of the computers I regularly use (with a high resolution screen) I additionally use a user style-sheet to enlarge the font size, on the other (with only 600x800) it's the right size.

I do not really care whether the user part of the posts is left or right.

One more idea i just had:
Since using colors is frowned upon for non-moderators, maybe the color-selection box could be removed near the edit-box (for non-mods, of course).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Colors are still allowed for users if it's necessary for conveying extra information about the post's contents (e.g. tasklists).

(Preemptive response for Zarel: Yes, the Posting Guidelines are pending a revision. I'm on it.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Finished merging Prosilver Special Edition's stylesheets and imageset. It's now used for regular Prosilver here.

Some broken browsers (read: Firefox) may need a cache reset to reflect the changes made after I switched Prosilver's parameters to point to Special Edition's files.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.