Where would one get sprite art made?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Where would one get sprite art made?

Post by Aethaeryn »

FoxxiMoxxi wrote:
Zerovirus wrote:Why people don't actually try to learn spriting instead of asking for sprites is beyond me.
That's awesome logic.

I need a new refrigerator, while I'm in a learning mood. I should learn how to build one from scratch.
The difference is that you pay for a refrigerator. You don't ask for the fridge to be made for free without offering any tangible compensation for the company. Pay me for one sprite the same price you'd pay for a refrigerator, and I'll have your sprite in a few days.

If you want a refrigerator for "free" (the materials would still cost money since they are non-digital), you would in fact have to build it yourself.

Sorry for the nitpick, but you invoked the name of logic and I noticed a faulty comparison. The point of money is to have near-perfect liquidity. In theory, you're supposed to be able to specialize in something, do your specialty in exchange for money, and then use that money to exchange for the goods and services from other people's specialties. In other words, if you don't want to learn something, do not expect it for free unless it was already made anyway and the redistribution cost is next-to-zero (i.e. things on the Internet that are not custom-made just-for-you).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Also, a sprite is something you actually want, as opossed to a refrigerator.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

PeterPorty wrote:Also, a sprite is something you actually want, as opossed to a refrigerator.
Hey! If you make a good sprite, you might want to print it out and put it on a refrigerator. Where would you put it in RL if you didn't have a fridge?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

RL? What's that 'Real Life' thingy people keep talking about :?:
:?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

PeterPorty wrote:RL? What's that 'Real Life' thingy people keep talking about? :?
Why do you jump to conclusions about the meaning of "RL"? Obviously, we're talking circuitry.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Why would you want to print your sprite and put it in your resistor-inductor circuit fridge?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I consider this interesting article — written by a certain Irish philosopher — a very enlightening read on the subject of RL if you can endure his overuse of rhetoric.

In retrospect, I should've just locked the thread on my last reply.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

/me pokes head in cautiously

Does the slashy line mean this isn't locked? Huh. Below is a condensed version of a little infoshare message I fired off. Perhaps others who feel the same way will be similarly enlightened.

Lemme tell you, I sprite at a (widely accepted) rapid pace and frequent pacing, and it can take me anywhere from three hours to an entire day to churn out one baseframe. (animating is marginally easier when you have a base already. ) For example, my newest invoker? Four hours right there. Granted, I had to redo it three times because I wasn't satisfied with the quality, but still. That much time and skill expended does not warrant us giving away sprites like Halloween candy.

Sorry to break it to you, but if you're churning out sprites at a rate of 30 minutes each, you either are a spriting god or you have no artistic sense of quality.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Lol, my signature has a quote from there.... funny.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Zerovirus wrote:/me pokes head in cautiously

Does the slashy line mean this isn't locked? Huh. Below is a condensed version of a little infoshare message I fired off. Perhaps others who feel the same way will be similarly enlightened.

Lemme tell you, I sprite at a (widely accepted) rapid pace and frequent pacing, and it can take me anywhere from three hours to an entire day to churn out one baseframe. (animating is marginally easier when you have a base already. ) For example, my newest invoker? Four hours right there. Granted, I had to redo it three times because I wasn't satisfied with the quality, but still. That much time and skill expended does not warrant us giving away sprites like Halloween candy.

Sorry to break it to you, but if you're churning out sprites at a rate of 30 minutes each, you either are a spriting god or you have no artistic sense of quality.
Give the man a hug!
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Zerovirus wrote:Lemme tell you, I sprite at a (widely accepted) rapid pace and frequent pacing, and it can take me anywhere from three hours to an entire day to churn out one baseframe. (animating is marginally easier when you have a base already. ) For example, my newest invoker? Four hours right there. Granted, I had to redo it three times because I wasn't satisfied with the quality, but still. That much time and skill expended does not warrant us giving away sprites like Halloween candy.

Veritas est. Facere sprites facile non est, sed... (however the rest of that quote goes). :roll: :whistle:

Anyways, I concur with and applaud the above.
Last edited by artisticdude on July 22nd, 2010, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

meowreka wrote:imo a single sprite SHOULD be free. An honest day of work is $7 an hour, and making a single sprite does not take a half an hour, and it's about 1/8 the work of a minimum wage job.
It makes no sense anyway. Even if making a sprite DID take only half an hour (which it obviously doesn't), you could still say stuff like: "Meh, a cashier scanning someone's stuff in a store barely takes a few minutes, it shouldn't be considered work. Those people shouldn't get paid." Which makes no sense either.

(a an afterthought, I think this reply wasn't really needed, but oh well...)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

:augh: Don't feed the troll, people...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I just want to say one thing:

This is a sprite

This is also a sprite

So realistically, a sprite COULD be made in less than a half-hour, but it's not Wesnoth style/quality
(That might be where he/she got his/her mistake from)

OkayI'mDoneDon'tShootMePlease

Wait, one more thing:

Sprite < Refrigerator
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Zerovirus wrote: Sorry to break it to you, but if you're churning out sprites at a rate of 30 minutes each, you either are a spriting god or you have no artistic sense of quality.
This is the troof.