Where would one get sprite art made?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FoxxiMoxxi

Where would one get sprite art made?

Post by FoxxiMoxxi »

I'd like Mad Moxxi to be made in wesnoth style sprite format, but I don't particularly want to make a custom faction or campaign. If I don't have the talent to do it myself, where would I go, and who would I ask?
monochromatic

Re: Where would one get sprite art made?

Post by monochromatic »

Art Workshop. But don't expect much if you aren't going to do anything. Those artists have a life too.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

No one will do it for you, so there's no need to bother to even ask. Thanks.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

zookeeper wrote:No one will do it for you, so there's no need to bother to even ask. Thanks.
:lol2: I'd do it just to annoy zookeeper, but like you I lack the talent. Will this Mad Moxxi character become your avatar, if so perhaps open a "Design my avatar" thread on off topic, I suggested that once and somebody liked the idea.

But more seriously:
I have pointed this out before, but Wesnoth has a major advantage which is also a minor disadvantage, that is that the people who produce the art are bloody good.
Despite the tutorials, despite the frankenart, etc... a lot of people look at the work of certain artists (I won't mention names, but you know who I mean) and they are discouraged from producing anything becasue they doubt they will ever come close to what they see. This is unfortunate, becasue sometimes they may be wrong, or they may not come close in a way which is benificial to the game... it happens.

FoxxiMoxxi If you ever do change your mind and want to do a campaign, I suggest you try and do the art yourself, even if you aren't as good as some people you see on the forums. If your campaign is intersting and fun but the graphics are bad people might take you seriously and then want to redo your graphics for you.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

@Midnight_Carnival: [acronym=Too long; didn't read.]tl;dr.[/acronym]

Considering that there are already guidelines for asking for artwork contributions to user-made add-ons, it's not likely at all that anyone will make art for your avatar. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Go to Pixelation and give them money.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:@ FoxxiMoxxi If you ever do change your mind and want to do a campaign, I suggest you try and do the art yourself, even if you aren't as good as some people you see on the forums. If your campaign is intersting and fun but the graphics are bad people might take you seriously and then want to redo your graphics for you.
You know, Shadow Master had to learn spriting from scratch to do IfTU, and he's pretty damn good at spriting now. His sprite thread's 20 pages long and his improvement's very visible. Why people don't actually try to learn spriting instead of asking for sprites is beyond me.

EDIT: If you gave me money I'd do a sprite for you too, heh :lol2:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

It happened before my time, but I've seen the thread and the results thereof, and Shadowmaster is very good at spriting, IMO. For that matter, zookeeper is also an excellent pixel artist.

But like Zervirus pointed out, why not try doing it yourself? Learning how to sprite is very rewarding. I don't claim to be anywhere near a professional pixel artist like Jetrel or Neorice, but I knew nothing about pixel art when I first joined the forums, and now I can claim to have come up with a few decent quality sprites (thanks to some work on my part and a lot of helpful critique). I encourage you to try it. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

To add my voice to this discussion: my pixelling was mediocre at best when I first started. It's still not amazing, but I've certainly improved over the years. It's a matter of practice, and careful analysis of other peoples' work to see how it was done.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Moribund wrote:Go to Pixelation and give them money.
Woah, isn't that Tsugumo's forum?
FoxxiMoxxi

Post by FoxxiMoxxi »

Zerovirus wrote:Why people don't actually try to learn spriting instead of asking for sprites is beyond me.
That's awesome logic.

I need a new refrigerator, while I'm in a learning mood. I should learn how to build one from scratch.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

If that is intended to be sarcastic it kind of falls flat.

Unlike refrigerators, sprites on the other hand can be made with computer programs available for free. All it takes is the time to learn and do.

You can of course commission sprites but if you can make your own and have the time it's probably better to do it that way.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

...Well, if it comes down to that, building one from scratch is more likely to be effective than coming to us and asking us to make it for you without any real benefit to ourselves. :whistle:

And using sarcasm on us that way is really going to get you the positive karma you need for someone to make you a sprite for free.
meowreka

Post by meowreka »

imo a single sprite SHOULD be free. An honest day of work is $7 an hour, and making a single sprite does not take a half an hour, and it's about 1/8 the work of a minimum wage job.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

meowreka wrote:and making a single sprite does not take a half an hour
This is probably the most uninformed statement I've ever read today. Good lord.

Locked.

I mean, from my personal experience, getting to make a single good sprite for Wesnoth can take weeks unless you are an expert like Jetrel.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.