Working on a personal site, could use some stylistic advice

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Working on a personal site, could use some stylistic advice

Post by West »

I've been working on a personal site for some months now, basically a website for sharing my music and promoting myself as a composer. And I find it hard striking a good balance between "pro-looking" and "honest" if you know what I mean. If you look at the sites of any big-name composer or other professional musician, you'll notice that all info is written in the third-person ("Joe started learning the piano at the tender age of six etc ... he has scored this and that"). That's all fine and dandy if you have agents and professional web bureaus making the site for you, but when you're doing it all yourself... what to do?

I feel like a pretentious fricking idiot writing boastful third-person accounts of my past and the work I've done. OTOH, writing it from a first-person perspective sounds a bit "dear diary"-like and generally feels a little... I dunno, pathetic. "Look ma, I made a website!" Writing from a me-perspective feels more honest, but writing from a he-perspective might potentially look better in the eyes of a complete stranger. Or not. I just don't know.

Any opinions or advice on this matter?
boru

Re: Working on a personal site, could use some stylistic adv

Post by boru »

Just a personal opinion, but I like "I" websites more than "he" websites any day, just seems more personal and extemporaneous. Like you say, the site's not being written by a press agent or fanclub, it's by you. I'd say go with that. The site wouldn't be "dear diary" in the slightest, because you're putting your music at the center of it.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

West wrote:I feel like a pretentious fricking idiot writing boastful third-person accounts of my past and the work I've done.
Yeah. Well, I tried using the third person long ago — it didn't turn out to be good so I switched to the first person. “Pro-looking” doesn't magically equal good.

I'd personally use whatever feels more comfortable and natural to me, so I could focus on the content rather than the format.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Thanks for your input guys. I think I'll go with the first-person text then, it sure feels a lot more honest.