League of Legends - Season 1

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: League of Legends - Season 1

Post by Pentarctagon »

So, i decided to try out Nidelee, and after playing more than a few matches I was wondering if anyone had any advise on playing her. Especially what I should do during teamfights :|
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

My relevation w/ chars bad at teamfights--with proper use of wards, you can use them to turn a teamfight from a 5v5 to a 4v4 and a 1v1, with you preventing one of their fighters from joining the teamfight. Imagine preventing someone's AOE ult user from joining up w/ their initiator ^_^

Just my $0.02.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

true, but it always seems like I (almost always) lose a 1v1 fight unless they are already fairly wounded.

edit- Had something weird happen today. I teleported to a tower, but instead of appearing next to it i got stuck inside the tower :lol2:
edit2- got a better build, and now its going much better :)
cretin

Post by cretin »

so ive been thinking of getting some blue cool down reduction runes, but i am not sure which ones to get. ive heard the flat cdr's are better than the scaling ones. is that the correct assessment? in which case, when are flat better than scaling runes.
Joram

Post by Joram »

The Runes equalize at level 13.

At level 18, scaling are better by 2.25% total CDR. At level 1, flat are better by about 5.4% total CDR.

The boost to low level is generally considered more valuable (especially since you don't have any items yet), whereas the boost to high level is so completely overshadowed by items that most people strongly recommend you get the flat. The scaling would be minimally better if you expect a large portion of the game to last at level 14+.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
cretin

Post by cretin »

so lets say for mana regen, would you want flat over scaling? since you probably will have a mregen item later in the game anyways?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

If I were to only get up to three sets of runes, this would be them:

Marks:
Desolation (Armor penetration)
Potency (Magic penetration)
Warding (FLAT Magic Resist) - Fulcrum level 14

Seals:
Evasion (Dodge)
Clarity (PER LEVEL Mana Regen) - Fulcrum level 4
Depends on your favored Champion(s) - Health, energy regen, etc.

Glyphs:
Focus (FLAT Cooldown Reduction) - Fulcrum level 14
Warding (FLAT Magic Resist) - Fulcrum level 10
Depends on your favored Champion(s) - AP, attack speed for junglers, flat energy, etc.

Quintessence:
Swiftness (Movespeed)
Fortitude (FLAT Health) - Fulcrum level X
Either Desolation or Force (flat AP).
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Jozreal: Any chance on getting some official feedback here: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/sh ... p?t=302996 ? I really love Karthus, but I feel that his weakest aspects are being ignored while his mediocre aspects are being buffed.

CDR is nice - 9% straight out of the door. But recently I've been running a full page of magic pen + yellow hp/level runes, giving me 17 mpen and then 170hp @ 18. I've been playing Katarina and Karthus, and I get sorc shoes as early as possible, which gives a ton of magic pen at early levels
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I use runes/masteries to achieve specific #s of cdr. Most commonly my casters will have either 3% or 9% cdr from masteries - meaning I want either 7% or 6% cdr to meet 10% or 15% cdr. This means I go full blue cdrs, and in the former 4 seal cdrs, and in the latter 1. This is because I care about cdr far more than it is actually important, generally xD. I do like potencies, but I think that the flat ap quints actually give you better bang for your buck in terms of actual damage dealt.

I'll let someone know about the Karthus thread, but I am not a designer and thus...can't really help there. Sorry :<.

EDIT: Morello's on the case, but the designers think you're all silly for thinking Karthus is bad :p. xD
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Gah! :augh:

That's the point! I don't think he is bad. I've had to say this so many times in the thread, I am surprised that the designers fail to read my posts properly as well.

I was never claiming that Karthus is underpowered and needed serious buffs. All I ever said was that the buffs in the last patch don't really address any of Karthus' issues. I'd trade the 20% death timer reduction, the mana on LW reduction and CD reduction on WoP for something to buff the utility on LW. Seriously. A Karthus who can't conserve mana, or can't place WoP at the right times is a *bad* Karthus; a Karthus who gets out harrassed and out farmed is a victim of an ever decreasingly effective skill.

I think he is awesome and viable. But, he does get out harrassed very easily. The thread was about how everyone overlooks him, even Riot, to the extent that they buffed the wrong things - Now, to be fair, there are probably good reasons for the buffs they made; I just don't agree with them :D But I have to say that the WoP CD buff was from way out of left field, I have never heard of anyone complain about the CD on it before

But thankyou for chasing it up for me... even if they do tell us to get lost and "lrn2play" :)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Keep in mind that they said this before even reading the thread - when I was asked to describe what it included I said 'karthus is bad' as opposed to 'karthus has bugs'. :p I hadn't really read the thread either tho to be fair.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Well, my above post sums up my opinion. If they hadn't done anything then I probably wouldn't have complained, but, when they do make a buff and I feel it's the wrong thing, then I'll complain :)

All I really wanted was for someone to say why they made the ones they did, and why they didn't buff LW. Seeing a a fair number of people agree that it would be the best thing to do. Or buff movespeed as an indirect buff. We are talking about tiny buffs here: 5 movespeed, 0.2 second reduction in delay etc...
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm a little curious, how does the matchmaking system determine who gets matched up with who? Cause i was just in a match where we were all lvl 30 (me and my bro both have 300+ wins) and the enemy team had a lvl 23 and 27 :hmm:
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Most likely explanation was premade - that is the cause of 98% of 'wait wat' matches.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Hey Jozreal, I saw you kill Phreak. :mrgreen:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book