A Hopefully Non-Sexist Survey

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What's your gender?

Male
97%
Female
3%

Total votes: 101

Midnight_Carnival

Re: A Hopefully Non-Sexist Survey

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

There are females on this forum, I presume.
What interests me more is why they are avoiding this post (or telling us they are men).
If I take this question any further I fear that this post will mysteriously vanish.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:There are females on this forum, I presume.
What interests me more is why they are avoiding this post (or telling us they are men).
If I take this question any further I fear that this post will mysteriously vanish.
Right. It isn't funny any more...
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Number of males is growing quickly, and the number of the girls dont increases (never happened) :/
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I would like to remind everyone that this thread is for mainly for collecting poll results, and as thus has been strictly requested by a moderator not to make jokes about the results in this thread.

Although if someone starts a separate joke thread, I will definitely contribute to it. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

So a guy a and a girl walk into a bar and the guy pulls a tiny piano from his pocket and...
Sapient wrote:I would like to remind everyone that this thread is for mainly for collecting poll results, and as thus has been strictly requested by a moderator not to make jokes about the results in this thread.

Although if someone starts a separate joke thread, I will definitely contribute to it. ;)
oh, never mind then... :P

Yeah I think we shouldn't take this poll too seriously, however I would be interested in the actual true number of gender distribution not only here in off-topic, but the board as a whole and the mp server. But I guess we will never know... :lol2:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
oberon

Post by oberon »

My seven year old daughter plays, but is not likely to post in the forums.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Yeah, I've seemed to notice that in younger age groups the number of people who play video games and computer games is pretty even between the genders, but as they get older, and progress into the internet using age groups, the number of girls just tapers off for some reason.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Well according to a nation-wide survey my Social Survey teacher showed the class, while females generally performed about the same as males in math and computer-related activities, their self-confidence on how they had done was much lower than men's, especially for the the computer activites (women were about half as confidant as men in that category). As for exactly why this occurs, I have no idea, though there's probably some long in-depth essay about socialization from birth/peers/etc in relation to this somewhere.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Maybe they should do a scientific study to correlate testosterone level with the enjoyment of different types of video games.

I agree that this poll isn't very scientific since it is restricted to Off-Topic forum users.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sapient wrote:I agree that this poll isn't very scientific since it is restricted to Off-Topic forum users.
You aren't suggesting that I clone/edit this poll into Users', are you?

Are you suggesting that this poll should be really moved to Users'?

Are you suggesting that a new poll should be started in Users with cloned stats?

Are you suggesting that this poll should be moved to Users' and half of the posts/contents deleted?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

shadowmaster wrote: You aren't suggesting that I clone/edit this poll into Users', are you?

Are you suggesting that this poll should be really moved to Users'?

Are you suggesting that a new poll should be started in Users with cloned stats?

Are you suggesting that this poll should be moved to Users' and half of the posts/contents deleted?
No. I think this is right where it belongs in Off-Topic. Moving it to the User Forum would increase the participation level, but it would still have unscientific bias.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

How scientific did this poll turn out to be?
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1818
I suspect it was biased as well.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

The only problem with that poll is that it covers a 6 year time spread now :P.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

doofus-01 wrote:How scientific did this poll turn out to be?
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1818
I suspect it was biased as well.
How?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Easy! In any given web-poll where the sample volunteers its information is subject to the "volunteer effect" or "volunteer bias." In a nutshell, what volunteer bias means, is, since the individual chooses whether or not to participate in the survey or poll, the poll's results are skewed by whichever subsets of the population are more prone to participate. If people were to, by the poll, classify themselves as categories A, B, C, or D, whichever category was most prone to participate in the poll would skew themselves into appearing to be a larger portion than they are, whereas the categories less prone to participate int he poll would be counted as being a smaller portion than they are. In extreme cases this may even cause a vast minority to appear to be a vast majority(if members of the minority were avid participants in the poll, and members of the majority mostly avoided the poll altogether.)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/