Number of comments

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheSilentOne

Number of comments

Post by TheSilentOne »

Why are people so obsessed with the number of comments they make? How is that even relevant for anything? It doesn't make you a better player, does it, nor does it help in any way. Anyone can make 1000+ comments and be worth nothing, you might aswell start a blog if you want to comment on everything.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Number of comments

Post by artisticdude »

TheSilentOne wrote:Why are people so obsessed with the number of comments they make?
You mean their post count? Because it makes them feel important. Because they consider it a competition with other members. Because they have nothing better to do with their time. And generally this kind of attitude goes hand-in-hand with spamming. Some of the project's finest contributors have a very low post count, but they are held in much higher esteem because they don't just talk, they do.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I don't know about you, but when I see a newbie poster with big ideas, but he only has like 4 posts, I'm not inclined to trust him. Whereas if it was the same situation with someone who as 1000 posts, I might think about it more carefully. It's a trust thing, I think.
TheSilentOne

Post by TheSilentOne »

elvish_sovereign wrote:I don't know about you, but when I see a newbie poster with big ideas, but he only has like 4 posts, I'm not inclined to trust him. Whereas if it was the same situation with someone who as 1000 posts, I might think about it more carefully. It's a trust thing, I think.
I don't trust anyone:). just kidding. Actually I kinda agree, but it can be very missleading. Someone with 4 posts is not necesarily a newbie in the game(although probable:)), just like someone with loads of posts dating back to 1952 might not even know what the game is about anymore. Other than that I also would like to have more posts:).
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Paying to much attention to post count is certainly bad, but it can [in some situations, not all] be a rough gauge of how active a member is in the community, how long they've been around, etc.
norbert

Post by norbert »

TheSilentOne wrote:Why are people so obsessed with the number of comments they make?
Are they?
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I don't pay attention much to post count, as long as it's over 100. Normally. Then I know it's a serious member. I judge people as not spam from the content of their posts. Someone who posts with no caps, tons of abbreviations, l33t, no punctuation, and no point to the post is usually a spammer.

Ninja'd, so I agree with norbert. I haven't really seen anyone on the forum that cares about their post count. Well, 1, maybe 2.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

imo post count/how long they have been around generally doesn't matter too much, since they could have been playing for years and just never decided to join the forums.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Forum experience and gaming experience are two completely different things.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Your contributions also speak for your experience in certain areas. New forum members can be amazing artists with near perfect understanding of anatomy, shading, etc., so they are definite authorities on art, even if they have a low post count. Someone with only 1 post to their name can create the most amazing and innovative add-on ever, if they have sufficient motivation and WML knowledge. Post count matters nothing in cases like these, since people with only a few posts may be masters of certain areas.
cretin

Post by cretin »

post count is not as huge an issue on this forum as others. Easiest ways to tell who know what they are doing and who do not is by their title. after that, there are some people you will notice know what they are talking about. its just about watching who contributes and who doesnt. not even length around in the forum means much. ive been around for a while, yet i havnt contributed jack. so i usually dont even comment... fills up the threads and is usually just praise. just my two cents.

geh my spelling and grammer get worse on forums for some reason.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Hulavuta wrote:Forum experience and gaming experience are two completely different things.
except that someone who has played through the campaigns and had online multiplayer experience is much more likely to be a good, helpful forum member than someone who just heard about Wesnoth from a friend two days ago and decided to check it out.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Pentarctagon wrote:except that someone who has played through the campaigns and had online multiplayer experience is much more likely to be a good, helpful forum member than someone who just heard about Wesnoth from a friend two days ago and decided to check it out.
Very true. There will, of course, inevitably be cases of people who are good players but who aren't very good forum users, but these cases are far and few between.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Some of us have a high post count because a good part of our "job" is talking to people and commenting on their stuff.

I'm quite disgusted, but when I really sit down and think about it, half of what I do here is basically being a manager.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

TheSilentOne wrote:Ijust like someone with loads of posts dating back to 1952 might not even know what the game is about anymore.
The oldest user in the forum doesn't have many posts.

Also, I moved this from Users' some hours ago.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.