Number of comments

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Number of comments

Post by Zerovirus »

Unlike on some forums where postcount is forcibily removed from the user's status bar besides his post in an attempt to enforce community equality, Wesnoth feels no need to do this. Many of the forums that retain a postcount visible to the public also retain a community ladder or social formation, and it's one of this forum's many positive qualities that no such politics are in play here.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Post count isn't any indicator of skill at the game or even knowledge of it. What it is an indicator of (generally) is which people have been making/working on content and which havn't. People who are making stuff for the game have much more to talk about on the forums than those who are merely good players. It's still not a reliable indicator because some creators don't need to say much about it on the forums (or choose not to) but that is generally how I use it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Chris7mas

Post by Chris7mas »

Hulavuta wrote:I don't pay attention much to post count, as long as it's over 100. Normally. Then I know it's a serious member. I judge people as not spam from the content of their posts. Someone who posts with no caps, tons of abbreviations, l33t, no punctuation, and no point to the post is usually a spammer.
Actually, "l33t" is written 1337 ;)

On topic, I agree with you. I played with good players who don't even have a forum account, but were good connoisseurs of the game. However, there are also a lot of players with few posts who just started to play the game and think they're pretty good at it after only a few days and come to the forums with "good" advice for the "novices". From what I noticed, in more than 90% of the cases, a person which has a high post count is to be trusted and is a good player, but this doesn't mean there isn't also a small percentage which may be mediocre.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air...
TuxArena - Linux news, tutorials, articles & reviews
IPS

Post by IPS »

I think, that is an stat of how active are you in the community. When people starts to post and post and post everywhere, is because he want to like very active.

But, these class of users, many times, aren't very good player.

Number of posts don't mean anything about how good you play, but, many people, like to post to feel more important and bigger.

I'm not that class of users, I sometimes don't conect to the forum in a bit more than a week.

These are some reassons of why people like to post a lot, but my reassons maybe are wrong.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

IPS wrote:I think, that is an stat of how active are you in the community. When people starts to post and post and post everywhere, is because he want to like very active.

Number of posts don't mean anything about how good you play, but, many people, like to post to feel more important and bigger.

I'm not that class of users, I sometimes don't conect to the forum in a bit more than a week.

These are some reassons of why people like to post a lot, but my reassons maybe are wrong.
Yes, I agree, you have a way of phrasing things simply and direcly which many others could learn from.

And yes, I post a lot of rubbish because I don't play that well.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

artisticdude wrote:
TheSilentOne wrote:Why are people so obsessed with the number of comments they make?
You mean their post count? Because it makes them feel important. Because they consider it a competition with other members. Because they have nothing better to do with their time. And generally this kind of attitude goes hand-in-hand with spamming. Some of the project's finest contributors have a very low post count, but they are held in much higher esteem because they don't just talk, they do.
Yay, I'm a spammer! 8)
I mean, I've posted 1367 posts.
(I thought I'd have posted a lot more... :lol:)
And most of my posts are in my sprite thread, and, all of them can be considered spam, since none of the things I've done have gotten in mainline Wesnoth, even the mudcrawler which I've been making for like over a year already. ...But well.

EDIT: And I don't actually play Wesnoth anymore. So what the heck am I doing on this forum...!?
But well. I will, once all the new stuff gets in it.
Check out my sprites!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Um, what exactly is your definition of spam?
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:
IPS wrote:I think, that is an stat of how active are you in the community. When people starts to post and post and post everywhere, is because he want to like very active.

Yes, I agree, you have a way of phrasing things simply and direcly which many others could learn from.

And yes, I post a lot of rubbish because I don't play that well.
Same here, I am a horrible player. I post because of two main reasons:
I. for the serious work I do (Mostly descriptions for units, see my siggie).
II. I have no life whatsoever.
On topic, I think, as many others do, that your post count is mostly an indicator of how active you are.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

TheSilentOne wrote:
elvish_sovereign wrote:I don't know about you, but when I see a newbie poster with big ideas, but he only has like 4 posts, I'm not inclined to trust him. Whereas if it was the same situation with someone who as 1000 posts, I might think about it more carefully. It's a trust thing, I think.
I don't trust anyone:). just kidding. Actually I kinda agree, but it can be very missleading. Someone with 4 posts is not necesarily a newbie in the game(although probable:)), just like someone with loads of posts dating back to 1952 might not even know what the game is about anymore. Other than that I also would like to have more posts:).
i had been playing Wesnoth for 2 1/2 years before I joined, and I know of others who have done this in a similar way. Actually, I only even discovered the forums after visiting wesnoth.org. Actually, my playing Wesnoth was like this:
1) Wow, great game! (Playing of all campaigns and completing nearly all.
2) Whee! There's even addons! (Yes, I finally discovered that after ca. 1 year.)
3) Oh my! An MP mode online! (Wow, I really discovered that quickly. 1 1/2 years.)
4) Why don't you visit their site?
5) Wheeeeeeee! Foooooruuuums!
6) Why don't you register some time too?

Back on topic, I have seen situations on this forum, and on others as well, where people with lots of posts said much more senseless things than people with less posts.

I have also seen quite a lot of talk about "the way they play". Ideas someone has for campiagn design, quality of prose or artwork, creativity or anything else can make you a great Wesnoth forum member. If you are a pro player is actually totally irrelevant overall, it only matters in the User's Forum and Strategies and Tips. But look at the Board Index. Then At "Developement". You don't need superior skills in Wesnoth gameplay to make useful contributions there.
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
Tshemmp

Post by Tshemmp »

As many of you i trust people more who have more posts. It is just normal because they seem involved in the community and so to be nice guys who know what they do. But look at me: I don't have many posts at the moment so why i should write this? You just won't trust me. :D But i think judging people this way is a bit unfair. In my case: I am very often in this forum, often hours per day. But as you can see I am not very ACTIVE, just PASSIVE. Like in real life: Thinking much, but talking...well...

Oh, and joining date is same i think: If someone joined for example 2005 I trust him more than somebody who joined yesterday or so...
Theoretically there is no difference between theory and practice. Practically there is.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Tshemmp wrote:Oh, and joining date is same i think: If someone joined for example 2005 I trust him more than somebody who joined yesterday or so...
It depends in what scenario you're talking about. For instance (and similar scenarios have happened on these very forums), an awesome composer or artist could join up as I post this. He's far more skilled than 99% of all artists on the forums, but he's the n00biest n00b in the forum until someone registers after him. However, even though he's just registered that doesn't make him any less of a great artist, and therefore he will almost always be more trustworthy when critiquing art than someone who registered 5 years ago and has a post count of 3,393, but is only a mediocre artist.

Point being, it's not your post count or how long since you've registered that matters. It's what you do.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Tshemmp

Post by Tshemmp »

Yeah, as i said: judging people like this is unfair but normal.
Theoretically there is no difference between theory and practice. Practically there is.