USA Gun Ban... You Have to at Least Respect Their Opinions.

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

USA Gun Ban... You Have to at Least Respect Their Opinions.

Post by artisticdude »

I've been loosely following the debate about whether guns should be allowed in the USA or not, and ran across this:

Bet their neighbors either move or sue. :P
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
PeterPorty
Translator

Re: USA Gun Ban... You Have to at Least Respect Their Opinions.

Post by PeterPorty »

I think it's actually a pretty good sign. I mean... if it is true, I don't see why would they sue them.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

That sign looks photoshoped to me.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Who can tell, these days? But there are those out there who would actually put up a sign like that.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, and there are those who like to commit mass murder. That doesn't make either one particularly common.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

True.
catwhowalksbyhimself

The problem here is that in any debate, folks like to find the most extreme examples of the other side and publicize those few folks, making them, intentionally or not, appear to be the norm rather than the far extreme.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Hmm I may be alienating myself but I generally don't have any problem with the sentiment expressed on the sign however it seems more than a little bit weird that you'd actually post such an opinion on a sign. I would also say that it is slightly criminal as it would definitely increase the risk of armed robbery for the mentioned house (or at least it would in some neighborhoods).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Most people in the USA who are for gun bans, either live in low-crime neighborhoods but know someone who's been shot, or they live in high crime neighborhoods located in areas that already have strict gun control.

Most firearm related, armed robberies, assaults, and/or homicides are carried out by people who unlawfully possess their guns to begin with, most of which would continue to have access to them if guns were illegalized. As it is, mass shootings take place almost invariably in regions where gun control is in place. The last few happened on college campuses where not even the security guards or the campus police were allowed to be armed, so someone holding the only gun, in a 5 mile radius killed a bunch of people. Same story happens down in Texas, The yea-hoo pulls a gun out and starts shooting, someone else pulls a gun on him and ends it. Both are tragedies that occur when a seriously disturbed individual gets access to firepower, but neither are tragedies that could be prevented by gun control. Instead gun bans are the difference between a psycho with a gun killing a couple people and a psycho with a gun killing a couple dozen(or a couple hundred) people.

Crimes of armed robbery, assault, and homicide, they will occur with or without guns, as there are plenty of things that can be turned into weapons. More of any of the following categories--robberies, assaults, rapes, or homicides--involve knives than all four of them put together involve guns. Guns do not cause a high crime rate, high crime rate causes people to seek to obtain guns. Illegalizing them will not take them off the streets, it will only put them exclusively into the hands of the criminals. They won't run out of bullets, millions of people in this country know how to make bullets(you can get most of the materials to make them at your local arts and crafts store). Many street gangs have their own gunsmiths. Plus foreign terrorists and criminal elements would continue to have interests in arming domestic psychopaths.

I do not personally own a gun, but if I lived someplace where it was not legal to own a gun, I would not feel safe enough to not own one. (Autistic children in my household are the reason I do not own any guns.)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Ditto. Anyway, people will still figure out ways to get firearms even if they are banned. Or perhaps it would be similar to the result of the prohibition act, where so many people disregard the law that it's impossible to enforce it.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, up here in Canada, guns are quite heavily controlled, and I don't feel like we're any worse. In fact, I don't wish to ever own a gun myself. Maybe it's only because we have better crime rates, though, I'm no expert but I think we fare a bit better on these aspects than you do in the US.

Anyway, as far as the sign goes, I'm not sure it's a reason for suing (unless armed robbery occured perhaps?), but I'd still hate to have a neighbor who puts such signs. Can't he just leave him be or what?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Joram

Post by Joram »

*GASP* A topic about a sign about gun control sparked someone to post their opinion about gun control! What next? Someone with the opposite view posting their opinion? Golly, you'd think there was a debate brewing. It's getting to where one can't go online without an argument starting.

Oh wait, it got that way years ago.

Anyway, that is just my $0.02 warning about where this thread is pointing. Have fun. :)

EDIT: Oh no! It's already happening! I can see the descent occurring before my very eyes! :shock:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Joram

Post by Joram »

Regarding the sign, if the people in the neighboring house are avid anti-gun people, then they should expect to get some flak for it (I wouldn't put up the sign myself, but am not going to get heated up about someone else doing it). If banning all guns is just a privately held belief that they don't talk about much, then I'd say these people should let them alone.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
MDG

Post by MDG »

If I was the neighbour, I'd put up a sign saying "Criminals looking for firearms, try next door..."
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

@Joram: as long as people are respectful and tolerant of each other's opinion, I see no harm in a debate. However, that was not the intention of the OP, just to clarify.