StarCraft II

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jozrael

Re: StarCraft II

Post by Jozrael »

Grats Moribund!

And yea, vikings destroy warp rays so hard :<.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

@Jozrael: Thanks a lot Jozrael! I played and won two more ladder games today. One with reaper cheese and another with failed reaper cheese into tank/marauder.

My friend tried Void Ray rush against me today 'cause he knew I would be going Marauder/Tank. Make sure to scout, and build a lot of marines w/ stim if the 'toss player builds any air. Vikings are good too, but you can get Void Rays really early, so you might not even be done your factory yet.

Does anyone know how to upload replays? I can't find where they're saved. I have some awesome replays.

Today I did this epic rush. I rushed with something that is:
Bigger than a Thor
Earlier than a Reaper
More powerful than a Siege Tank
Hardier than a Battlecruiser
More all in than an SCV rush
More awesome than a Nuke rush
I'll post a replay if I figure out how.

What's everyone's name so we can play? Mine's ConanALeong@gmail.com. Yeah that's my real name, wanna fight about it?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Planetary Fortress rush at a guess?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Velensk beat me to it.

You should be able to get to Vikings by the time they reach VoidRays, I think...

Rax
Fac
Port -> immediately available.

Gate
Core
Star -> VoidRay, then they have to cross the map to get to you.

Should be pretty comparable; he could just have his build down better than you.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Yeah, I guess it's old news, but it's still fun. I suggest everyone tries it on their friends before they hear about it.

It's really easy to get Vikings the same time IF you're also going that 1/1/1. I usually one base Rax>Factory>Rax, and I get a lot units, followed by some more redundant raxes and maybe another factory. I haven't played many games but from my experience my push does a lot of damage.

Do you guys suggest opening up with a Starport? I understand the flexibility, and Medvacs are nice, but...

What's everyone elses' strategies? Or play me and I'll find out. :P
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I suggest Scouting, and going from there. Scout Early, Scout Often. One of the Big Five. Yes, they all deserve caps.

My tag is Jozrael.250. Hit me up!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't have any strategies as I haven't actually played however I was familiar with the planetary fortress rush because I saw someone else playing.

Personally the strategy that looked funnest to me was the multi-nydus worm raid I saw. Force them to either split up their forces or kill nydus worms that you'll never use while the rest of your army tears up their base elsewhere. Bit tricky to actually pull off I'd imagine (I saw a friend get eaten alive by this. Of course I suspect just about anything would have done well against him but it was still fun to watch).

Other things that looked fun were forcefields and storms, those flame thrower cart things, and warp-in.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Forcefield and warpin are my personal favorite mechanics of the toss; I don't use storm effectively yet. Hellions are great against infantry, especially zlings blings and lots.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

lol I've never heard "blings" before, that's an awesome name. Yeah, being the big cheese I am, I spend more time denying scouting than actually scouting myself.

Jozrael: I need your email you used to add you, or your tag and your code.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Times in seconds:
Rax 60
Fac 60
Port 50
- perunit: 42 (viking)

Gate 65
Core 50
Star 60
- perunit: 60 (voidray) 45 (phoenix)

So if anything, terrans should be at a slight advantage in build speed. But really, as you noted, the best counter is marines.

As an aside, contrary to my expectations (from looking at raw damage/HP listings), the Phoenix is really powerful versus the viking, if this site's stats are to be trusted. Namely, it has 120hp+60sp vs 125hp, and 5x2 damage versus 6x2 damage - (neither dealing bonus damage to each other), but the phoenix has almost twice the fire rate of the viking (1.11s vs 2s), and nearly the same price (150/100 vs 150/75). The phoenix seems like a pretty good deal, when I really crunch the numbers. (The viking does have dramatically longer range, though.)

http://sc2armory.com/game/terran/units/viking
http://sc2armory.com/game/protoss/units/phoenix
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Speaking as one who has only watched, it seems to me like you should be able to avoid pheonix with vikings by landing the vikings on the ground.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

The Phoenix have an ability which lets them pick up ground units.
cretin

Post by cretin »

yeah the nix have that nasty ability. shame ive never played a game with them being used. my games often end up being carrier/voidray or battlecruiser/thor games in the end.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Name: Jozrael. Code: 250. Jozrael.250. ^^

EDIT: Fun games, Moribund.
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

Oh. In any case, big round of applause to Jozrael for making me his [censored] today. He even made me nuke myself in desperation.