StarCraft II

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: StarCraft II

Post by ancestral »

It's hard to pass judgment on a game that hasn't been fully released yet. All we have is a very generous access to the Beta, which plays very much like the original, though in many areas is a lot better.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Zachron wrote:Then what is this DRM I keep hearing about?
There isn't much nonstandard DRM in StarCraft II, only the removal of LAN games. (And I believe online activation.) Singleplayer can still be played offline.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Zachron wrote:No company is not in danger of a shrinking user-base at this point in time... And any company that assumes they are not is in the greatest danger of doing so
It'd be silly for Blizzard to assume this, obviously. When you think yourself invincible is when you stop trying, and you find yourself quite more vulnerable than you originally though.

However, for the purposes of a forum discussion, it is entirely valid to say that at this point in time I don't think we need to be worried about Blizzard's economic future in, well, any of its IPs.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sangel wrote:
Maeglin Dubh wrote:I'm refusing to buy it because they're releasing it as (at last known report) three separate games, one for each playable race.
Gotta say, I don't buy this argument. The "Terran only" Starcraft II has a 29-mission single player campaign, along with full three-race multiplayer. In raw content terms, it contains every bit as much work, and has equivalent hours of gameplay, to the original Starcraft. This isn't some full fledged product deliberately crippled to sell more expansions; it's a fully fledged product that gives a different (but by no means cut-rate) single-player experience.
Emphasis mine - I think the first game's price is absolutely appropriate.

I don't know if a full $50 is justified for the zerg and protoss expansions; it mostly depends on what's in them.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Illustrative screenshot showing how many units you can select at once. e.g. all of them:

http://sc2armory.com/media/fan-screensh ... e-Army/546

The 1,2,3,4,5 are 'tabs' to see the first 5 batches of 24. Past that many, there's no UI for seeing the little image of the unit, but that's a small price to pay.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Jetrel wrote:
Sangel wrote: Gotta say, I don't buy this argument. The "Terran only" Starcraft II has a 29-mission single player campaign, along with full three-race multiplayer. In raw content terms, it contains every bit as much work, and has equivalent hours of gameplay, to the original Starcraft. This isn't some full fledged product deliberately crippled to sell more expansions; it's a fully fledged product that gives a different (but by no means cut-rate) single-player experience.
Emphasis mine - I think the first game's price is absolutely appropriate.

I don't know if a full $50 is justified for the zerg and protoss expansions; it mostly depends on what's in them.
Originally they had also been priced (and advertised) as full standalone $50 purchases. Since then I hear they are NOT going to be standalone (meaning you need the original game), but will be priced as expansion packs. They will basically be Brood War 2.0 - some modifications to the multiplayer (and as you can see, small changes make BIG meta differences), and the epic, epic singleplayer.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

I don't find this Trilogy thing to be very problematic. These two games are going to be expansions, and I don't see the big issue with Wings of Liberty being primary Terran. The HUGE campaign justifies the broken up campaign (about 29 missions for each race, I believe, with different paths, etc.), and I believe you will be able to play the other races as well in some missions ; only it will be MAINLY Terran.
Also, these two other games will not only include the campaign, but also new features, such as new units and mechanics. As such, I find these two expansions to be understandable and quite welcome as long as their pricing is reasonable.
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Noobemus

Post by Noobemus »

I'll be piratin it matey!
Ayyyyeeeeee we no be payin for ye hairy landlubbers tricks eh?
What ye want from us ehh? All ti's hassle'n we be gettin only a campaign fer thee ol price of three?
Ehhh ye younglings! If me could get work like ti's I'd be ne no pirate for starters, arrrrgghhh.
Noobemus

Post by Noobemus »

Konrad II wrote:I don't find this Trilogy thing to be very problematic. These two games are going to be expansions, and I don't see the big issue with Wings of Liberty being primary Terran. The HUGE campaign justifies the broken up campaign (about 29 missions for each race, I believe, with different paths, etc.), and I believe you will be able to play the other races as well in some missions ; only it will be MAINLY Terran.
Also, these two other games will not only include the campaign, but also new features, such as new units and mechanics. As such, I find these two expansions to be understandable and quite welcome as long as their pricing is reasonable.

The problem is they will be standalone expansions from what I hear and will cost like a normal game. Which is [censored].
And even so like someone mentioned, removing LAN possibilities and forcing me to play on their stupid servers makes me inclined to get the hacked version of their precious little project anyway.

But we'll see. I might actually buy one game if it entitles me to a full multiplayer experience even when the two expansions come out.
I'll probably pirate it at first, wait for an expansion and if the above is fulfilled I'll buy the game I pirated or the (stand)alone expansion, which ever has the nicer wrapper.
Konrad II

Post by Konrad II »

The problem is they will be standalone expansions from what I hear and will cost like a normal game. Which is [censored].
This was the beginning decision. It has normally been changed and the expansions will cost less than the actual game.

I don't really see the point in pirating it, in spite of the fact their new Bnet is annoying. If you've got the money, really, why not spend it? People seem to think anything that has the word "online" in it should be free. :/
http://giantitp.com

"I have 8 forums, soon to be 7!" - Troy
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

It has since* been changed.

And yea, I just didn't really feel like arguing with him. The point's been made here several times. Pirates gonna pirate.

Not that I'm throwing stones here...I'm pretty bad myself. This is one game I know I won't be, though :P
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Jozrael wrote:Not that I'm throwing stones here...I'm pretty bad myself. This is one game I know I won't be, though :P
My suggestion? Pick those games which you've pirated, and really want to keep. Purchase a legal copy of them - then delete the rest. You'll be able to feel the karma shifting in your favour. I know, because I did it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Tshemmp

Post by Tshemmp »

Hehe, since 2 years one of my friends is (nearly) only talking of Starcraft 2. He is really crazy.
And since I've seen some videos from the beta i want to have this game, too.
Theoretically there is no difference between theory and practice. Practically there is.
Sir_Koi

Post by Sir_Koi »

Jozrael wrote:However, for the purposes of a forum discussion, it is entirely valid to say that at this point in time I don't think we need to be worried about Blizzard's economic future in, well, any of its IPs.
Especially considering that each of their franchises are so esteemed (Warcraft ending up in the best MMO to date, Starcraft the best RTS and Diablo a decent RPG).

Anyway, I reckon I'll buy it (as in legally ;)). The campaign thing... I'm not so fussed about too much. I can see the Zerg campaign as being not too interesting (without cerebrates) and the Protoss campaign probably entwines with the Terran campaign anyway.
Regardless, RTSes are more fun with multiplayer and since you can play as any faction in multiplayer it's all well and good.
Complaints about lack of LAN are somewhat 'meh': is it that hard to setup a password on an internet game? I've played on BNet in Warcraft 3 and it's not as fickle as other equivalents such as Live games. :?

Can't say I've played the beta so might not know as much but it's going to be great: base building and resource gathering are present in an RTS game? Finally, thank you Blizzard (I'm looking at you C&C 4 :evil:). Glad to see some of the original units alongside new ones as well :D - although I reckon the 2D game looks better. <3
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Doing the early D/L for electronic activation...I'm waaaay too excited :P.