StarCraft II

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: StarCraft II

Post by IPS »

I didnt played the Starcraft II, but I had heard the music in youtube. I think the music of StarCraft is better than the Music of Starcraft II ... over all in Zergs.

Well, the music of the terrans of the Starcraft II is interesting too, with a violin now. But I prefer the music of the terrans of the StarCraft than the music of the Terrans of the StarCraft II :(
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

My unrefined ear adored the music from sc1, but prefers the more modern strains of SC2.
IPS

Post by IPS »

I preffer the music of StarCraft II :/

I do not like to him indeed.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I'm sorry, but that last sentence lost me.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

My big question is... is it possible to do "spawned copies" for a few friends to play each other (but only each other, like it was with diablo 2), or are any two people intending to play the game together going to have to separately each fork out $50 for the game?

:augh: If so that really kinda sucks, because .. when you buy a console game, you basically get "dorm room" multiplayer for free.
sLaughter wrote: A lot of people are actually telling me Starcraft 2 has a much lesser emphasis on micro, since you can select as many units as you want and unit abilities are used WC3 style, where only one unit in a group will cast. Those of you in the beta, does the micro in it feel different from in SC1?
Micro feels more focused on actual gameplay commands, rather than using micromanagement to compensate for bad controls, or to basically exploit outright engine flaws (odd corner case handling) that over time became canonized as part of proper gameplay.

It's now focused purely on arranging your units into superior formation, making select individuals "hit and run", selectively applying abilities, and directing/focusing fire onto more effective targets. And this is great, because no one is ever going to "max out" the potential for this, with a decent number of troops on the field.

All they did was eliminated the BS.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'm not refusing to buy it because of the draconian DRM, and the inability to play properly on just a LAN.

I'm not even refusing to buy it because they probably removed the option for slave multiplayer, allowing multiple instances to run off one CD for LAN play.

I'm refusing to buy it because they're releasing it as (at last known report) three separate games, one for each playable race.

I refuse to pay $150-180 for ONE GAME.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Old news, Maeglin.

A: I'm not sure you're entirely sure on how it's separated, and B: the pricing is expansion now instead of standalone.

StarCraft 1 had a single expansion, brood war. SC2 has two planned expansions. The total cost should be about $100 over several years for the main game and both expansion packs.

@Jetrel: Unfortunately, no word of spawned copies yet. I really hope they do. That'd be nice.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'm aware it's old news.

But it hasn't really changed since the announcement except semantically. Before they were selling three separate games, now they're selling one 'game' consisting solely of the Terran campaign and selling the Protoss and Zerg campaigns later as 'expansions'.

The current rash of DLC and 'expansions' (sometimes justified, but not always) to try and milk as much money as possible from a single IP is growing old.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I refuse to pay $150-180 for ONE GAME.
To be exact, it's three games.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I'm aware it's old news.

But it hasn't really changed since the announcement except semantically. Before they were selling three separate games, now they're selling one 'game' consisting solely of the Terran campaign and selling the Protoss and Zerg campaigns later as 'expansions'.

The current rash of DLC and 'expansions' (sometimes justified, but not always) to try and milk as much money as possible from a single IP is growing old.
Idk about you, but I imagine production costs are more for big-studio games nowadays than they were a decade or two ago. I'd like the companies making my games to remain profitable so they can continue to entertain me. I don't mind paying Blizz that much so long as they deliver, and they've got a pretty good track record as far as I'm concerned. Each has their own line of 'too expensive', though.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Jetrel wrote:My big question is... is it possible to do "spawned copies" for a few friends to play each other (but only each other, like it was with diablo 2), or are any two people intending to play the game together going to have to separately each fork out $50 for the game?

:augh: If so that really kinda sucks, because .. when you buy a console game, you basically get "dorm room" multiplayer for free.

I doubt a game which requires a constant internet connection and has no LAN support what-so-ever will support spawned copies. (Since that is a LAN-based mechanism afterall) The DRM is obviously to combat cracks, which is funny because all crackers will have to do is emulate the blizzard server's signal in a manner that satisfies the program. (assuming it's they don't simply remove the requirements altogether by internalizing whatever external component is absent.) Seriously, Blizzard is not looking to expand their user-base on this one, they are simply trying to profit off a pre-existing following of their most devoted fans, and if that's the habit they get into, then they will find themselves up creek without a paddle when said user-base stats to shrink. (Which is what always happens if your user-base does not grow enough... part in parcel with us being mortal beings and all)

Square-Enix has gotten into this habit with their Final Fantasy Series, and that's largely why every Final Fantasy game as of late has been inferior to the previous. I haven't bought an FF game since FFX, and I'm looking forward to FFXIV, their next MMO, to decide whether I will even bother with anything beyond FFX.

As for what this topic is about, SCII, I'll wait until the Battle Chest comes out, and after they get rid of the DRM. (Which if that is never, then I'll never buy it.)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Zachron: Blizz is not in danger of a shrinking userbase at this point in time.

Also, they know they can't stop singleplayer from being pirated. They're looking to prevent multiplayer, the biggest draw for the game, from being cracked. Whether this is feasible I don't know.

Also, spawned games are not LAN-based. The Blizz servers simply register your copy as limited and associated with the other account.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Zachron wrote:I doubt a game which requires a constant internet connection and has no LAN support what-so-ever will support spawned copies.
Correction: SC2 does not require a constant internet connection to play in singleplayer mode. It's not nearly as bad as, say, AC2.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I'm refusing to buy it because they're releasing it as (at last known report) three separate games, one for each playable race.
Gotta say, I don't buy this argument. The "Terran only" Starcraft II has a 29-mission single player campaign, along with full three-race multiplayer. In raw content terms, it contains every bit as much work, and has equivalent hours of gameplay, to the original Starcraft. This isn't some full fledged product deliberately crippled to sell more expansions; it's a fully fledged product that gives a different (but by no means cut-rate) single-player experience.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

Zarel wrote:
Zachron wrote:I doubt a game which requires a constant internet connection and has no LAN support what-so-ever will support spawned copies.
Correction: SC2 does not require a constant internet connection to play in singleplayer mode. It's not nearly as bad as, say, AC2.
Then what is this DRM I keep hearing about? And this is after I see a silver lining on the cloud... If constant connection to Battle.net is a must, d-bags that get themselves banned, couldn't play the game in single-player mode either. lol. Oh well.
Jozrael wrote:Zachron: Blizz is not in danger of a shrinking userbase at this point in time.
No company is not in danger of a shrinking user-base at this point in time... And any company that assumes they are not is in the greatest danger of doing so... (It's not like every WoW player even knows or cares what SCII is, seeing as half of them don't even know what WarCraft is.)
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/