StarCraft II

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: StarCraft II

Post by ancestral »

If you've pre-ordered through Best Buy you'll notice it got canceled and you got your money back. Big time error. If you fall into this category, you can call them up and pre-order it again, or just show up and buy it when the game comes out.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well talking about content, many old units have seen a new live. And only one Campaign?
Few upgrades and abilities, so basicly not much new stuff....

Let's see:
http://sc2armory.com/game/terran/units/marine
Comparing to
http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/Space_Marine_Squad

Single Unit against Squad with multiple special members, attachable Heroes, Weapon Upgrades and the option to go into melee.
On the plus side I like the fierce Optic.

I can get a game for a discount with 3 addons 9 races and 4 campaings, not to mention exact the same price and a hell lot more depth (sorry to say)

Blizzard got really cheap ...
Well I'm biased here but what does Blizzard actual think? For me it feels like they are selling mostly the name.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

wayfarer wrote:Well talking about content, many old units have seen a new live. And only one Campaign?
Few upgrades and abilities, so basicly not much new stuff....

Let's see:
http://sc2armory.com/game/terran/units/marine
Comparing to
http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/Space_Marine_Squad

Single Unit against Squad with multiple special members, attachable Heroes, Weapon Upgrades and the option to go into melee.
On the plus side I like the fierce Optic.

I can get a game for a discount with 3 addons 9 races and 4 campaings, not to mention exact the same price and a hell lot more depth (sorry to say)

Blizzard got really cheap ...
Well I'm biased here but what does Blizzard actual think? For me it feels like they are selling mostly the name.
More content doesn't imply a better game.

StarCraft was and is an amazing game that even after 12 years still had a very strong community, with new maps being made in a regular basis, tournament with money prices and even professional leagues in South Korea. The multiplayer side couldn't change too much, because they wanted to recreate the same competitive succes of SC: BW. The single player, on the other hand, is a very different experience with each title having a campaing for each race with 30+ missions.

Of course, if you're not interested at all in the competitive side of games this may not appeal to you, but i believe that is the bane of many modern games, trying to appeal to too many people results in a dumbed down game.

Blizzard has never been known by it's originality in any of it' games, yet each and everyone of them has been a success and at least a decent game.

StarCraft has a very specific appeal, some peole don't like and that's fine, but i can assure you that many years on people will still play SC2 (and even SC:BW), can you say the same thing about any DoW game?, no matter how many campaings and races it has. Innovation just for the sake of innovation doesn't really accomplish anything.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Not to mention that the attached map editor blows any other product ever released out of the water.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

How to put it? Well I'm not crazy about games that value finger speed over tactics and that is the whole thing about Starcraft.
There are some successfull build Orders and in the end the guy with the most micro management wins.
Duh yeah it is balanced, the only reason why it is still on the plate and for this sole fact Starcraft II is a rehash of the old one.

Fun Fact Dow was never dumbed down, though it was one of the few games that combined cover, morale, melee and squads in a real time enviroment and those where not gimmicks those factors were game deciding. (Micromanagement aswell but not that much)
They at least tried to be inovative while maintaining a level ofcompetitivness. Not succesful mind you.
Of course it is and never will be balanced though the shear amount of posibilities (and the cost, Relic is not Blizzard).

And the argument millions of people will play it. There is an old saying: "Millions of flies can't be wrong, guys eat [censored]".
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

SC2 is exactly what I wanted it to be. An enjoyable, engrossing singleplayer, a balanced multiplayer, and a powerful map editor. I need no more.

I'm sorry it doesn't fit your criteria.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

I for one am a Blizzard fan-boy. I enjoy almost all the games they are associated with ever since I played the original Warcraft. I haven't played World of Warcraft as I am afraid I would become too addicted. Plus I don't want to pay monthly subscription fees for a game.

I loved Starcraft and I have been waiting for years for this one. Everything I have seen about it looks cool. I only hope my dinosaur of a computer can handle it.

I also understand that this is not the kind of game for everyone. Nor will everyone agree on the way BLizzard is releasing it. But I will have no problem giving them some of my hard-earned cash. Anyway, just my opinion.

edit: Oh and I agree with those disliking the game because of the reliance on twitch factors and speed rather than tactics. That is one reason why I don't like to play this kind of game on multiplayer.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

@Speedbrain: I recommend checking out customs. There's pretty much something there for EVERYBODY, even if it's cooperative RPGs.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Sorry, sometimes I am a bit ignorant about certain things. What do you mean by customs?
It sounds like a website, or maybe a collection of user-made content or mods. Is that what it is?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Oh dear lord you haven't LIVED.

It is possible to emulate virtually any gametype from the sc2 game client. You can create your OWN FPS and play it IN SC2.

SC1 (and wc3 etc.) had the most powerful map editors ever created. You can write wesnoth in sc2. Easily (relatively). Every single rule applied. You have your own programming language you can use.

It's all user-created. It has spawned entirely NEW gametypes. WC3 had the DotA map (Defense of the Ancients), which has spawned a new genre with a half dozen games in it (I just interviewed today for one of those companies). All of this is purely user-created and fantastically awesome.

I'll give more examples and fanboy praise after dinner.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

wayfarer wrote:I can get a game for a discount with 3 addons 9 races and 4 campaings, not to mention exact the same price and a hell lot more depth (sorry to say)
How good or bad a game is has nothing to do with numbers like these.

On average, I'd say that games with 3 races are more fun than games with 9 races, for instance.
Jozrael wrote:SC1 (and wc3 etc.) had the most powerful map editors ever created. You can write wesnoth in sc2. Easily (relatively). Every single rule applied. You have your own programming language you can use.

It's all user-created. It has spawned entirely NEW gametypes. WC3 had the DotA map (Defense of the Ancients), which has spawned a new genre with a half dozen games in it (I just interviewed today for one of those companies). All of this is purely user-created and fantastically awesome.
You can also rickroll someone in SC2. It's kind of hilarious. :P
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

It says nothing about the numbers, but more about the cash. I bought most of the addons at full price now I could get all 4 for the price of one.
Let's just say it is worth the price you'll have to trust me here.

You want to have engrossing singleplayer, a balanced multiplayer, and a powerful map editor, well you can still play Starcraft one at the moment I can look for changes in Starcraft II with a magnifier.

If I buy something I want somethin fresh and new not the same old stuff.

-Ghost Fields
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

But to someone who played StarCraft for 12 years...this is what I want in SC2. I see hundreds of changes. The meta is going to be entirely different. They can't please everyone, but I'm sure as heck happy they pleased me :)
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well isn't there a certain amount of nostalgia involved? ;)

Being honest here. I played Starcraft I but couln't get around the limited selection of units(not the numbers but the way to contol them) and the somewhat fire and forget use of infantry.

-Ghost Fields
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

If sc2 hadn't updated the UI massively I wouldn't be playing it...well, maybe customs.

The UI in sc1 is over 12 years old. Give it a break, lmao. They learned from their past and made it far, far more intuitive and simple.

You are right, however, that infantry (used loosely here) are very expendable. I guess that's just a preference thing though, as I like that. Micro wars were far, far more fun in sc1 than wc3 imo.