The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zarel

Re: Hulavuta's Rants

Post by Zarel »

I dunno. What do you feel about stuff like "cue"/"queue"? "for all intents and purposes"/"for all intensive purposes"? In my childhood, I read books (that had been carefully vetted by editors) more than anything else, so identifying which one's the right one is really simple for me, but not everyone's had my advantages.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I dunno, I guess.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Time for the next rant. This ties in somewhat with the Evony rant, but it has even more to do with stupidity.

So, I had recently learned that Megan Fox was cut from the movie "Transformers 3." I have seen the first two, and I tend to like the first one the best. The problem? Once Megan Fox appeared in movie 1, she turned into a "Sex Symbol" and therefore she had almost no character in the second movie. She was probably only there so that horny people would go see the movie. The director says that she was cut because he didn't want the main character (Sam) to be tied down to a love interest.

So a few days later, I find that her character was replaced. By a model.

This makes no sense? Why would you fire an actor because you don't want her character in it, and then re-add the love interest with another actor? No sense at all. You're basically replacing a girl who was only there to be hot with a girl who is only there to be hot, except she ISN'T AN ACTOR....(and on the other hand, Megan Fox is way hotter anyway...) And on top of that, Megan Fox is more well known. She'll probably rake in way more money if she was in it anyway...

This has nothing to do with my personal preference. I'm saying it was a [censored] business move. UNLESS they are finally growing up, and trying to make a movie without having a hot girl as a ploy to make money If they're finally trying to make a movie that makes money because it's a good movie, then I congratulate them.

There's my mini-rant. Off to the Awards Ceremony and end of year party.
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Apparently she said some "not so nice things" about the director of transformer movies though, so this is hardly surprising. Personally I think they should just get rid of the love stuff altogether. I'm not going to google any more than that, as I have no wish to become involved in any way with celebrity gossip. But:

-Why don't you just skip the perverted-pleasing in the movie?

-Oh no, we can't do that, are you crazy?

-Why ever not?

-WHY??

-Um, yeah. Why not?

-Because then our perverted society wouldn't want to watch the movie as much!

-And then we might make less money!! And we absolutely can't have that!

-Of course not. You might make only 500 million instead of 600 million.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

uh wut
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I was just ranting about the fact that many otherwise great movies just have to have love stories (or worse, as is the case most of the time) in them. And about Megan Fox... google it. I can promise you, you'll see what I'm talking about. Celebrity gossip... ugh.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

It isn't the "having a love story" as much as it's "having 2 people behave in unrealistic and generally degrading ways to fulfill the general publics idea of what they wish a love story was"
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Thrawn wrote:It isn't the "having a love story" as much as it's "having 2 people behave in unrealistic and generally degrading ways to fulfill the general publics idea of what they wish a love story was"
I wholeheartedly agree. It really saddens me to see what the modern movie industry has come to... it's not about creating good movies anymore, it's all about getting as much money as legally possible, with no moral guidelines. Or they use other tricks, like Cameron's Avatar. They first put it in theaters, where it collected a lot of money. Next they release just the movie on DVD. And once sales have dropped, they release the DVD with the special features. So they're practically selling the exact same movie twice, not counting its debut in theaters.

Not that I necessarily disagree with attempting to profit from your work, but I think it's been carried too far over the last couple decades or so.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

(about the texting rant, which I know is a little older)

What really bugs me is when people get so used to texting that they talk like that in email. Texting itself I really don't have much of a problem with, since I realize that often there is a limit to the number of characters, and hey, the point is for it to be a short, quick message. But I find myself really frustrated when I get an email like "hay wutz up wut r u doin this wknd". There's no reason to do that in emails!

And on a somewhat off-topic note- another thing that annoys me is people who use acronyms in normal, everyday, face-to-face talking...
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

So, I went to Wesnoth.org this morning, and lookie what I found:

3 Things:

1. The girl is actually hot this time!!
2. Looks like a new game, I haven't seen it before. So I hope this "sexertising" doesn't become a trend with games.
3. I clicked on the ad, to see what the game was really like, or to see if it was actually Evony in disguise. So I clicked on the ad, but the only thing on the page was:
The Blood Feud Website wrote:ADODB.Command error '800a0d5d'

Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.

/banner/index.html, line 46
So it doesn't even work either?
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Advertising with scantily-clad females has been a trademark of MMORPG games since as far back as I can remember. However, Evony is the first to use completely unclothed females (in strategic positions) in their advertisement, and to have such blatantly perverted titles above those images. And I really wish Google would advertise in a professional and respectful manner, especially on sites that attract people of younger ages.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Which reminds me, I also saw an ad yesterday when watching The Matrix: Reloaded on the internet, and it just had a picture and an animated woman and it said: Click here to make your perfect woman. It was Evony.
~Sierra
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hulavuta wrote:Which reminds me, I also saw an ad yesterday when watching The Matrix: Reloaded on the internet, and it just had a picture and an animated woman and it said: Click here to make your perfect woman. It was Evony.
Well, THAT'S a bit weird...

And btw, am I the only one who sees food ads in the Wesnoth main page? :o
Check out my sprites!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Probably.
~Sierra
Sir_Koi

Post by Sir_Koi »

Speaking of movies, DVDs and adverts...
Spoiler:
I cut out the middle man and just watch online. :D
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."