Funny units names

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

usr-sbin

Re: Funny units names (previously "Lolman?")

Post by usr-sbin »

Zerovirus wrote:And now I want to go and hide Borg, Terminator, R2D2, C3P0, and a bunch more random names in Steelhive's unit name file. Any other robot name ideas? (I -could- put Quote, but that's pushing the robot limits a bit.) Oh yeah. And Bender. Dalek too. Robocop! :D

I am wayyy too bored right now :P
H4N4 :p Meatbag!
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Zerovirus wrote:About names, who remembers 'Noobs vs. Devs'? I think I'm going to put people from the forums in... With permission :P
Count me in!
Actually I have no idea what 'Noobs vs. Devs' is, but it sounds interesting and I don't care if you use my name. :P
I concur :D
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It was an MP era that never really took off IIRC. Generic types of newbie versus generic types of dev.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Zerovirus wrote:About names, who remembers 'Noobs vs. Devs'? I think I'm going to put people from the forums in... With permission :P
Count me in!
Actually I have no idea what 'Noobs vs. Devs' is, but it sounds interesting and I don't care if you use my name. :P
I was just archive binging on the forums when I saw this faction thread based on making units that are supposed to represent the people who play wesnoth, the noobs and devs. Unit trees included Artists, Musicians, Developers (Heavy hitters), WML Wizards (with epic hax), and Admins. And then the Noobs had Spammer(1 gold, level 0, 1 health, 1 XP for amla, 1-1 Spam, melee impact), Forum Lurkers (like nightstalk and stealth on 80% of the terrains). And then there was this one unit which had 11 unit upgrades, so it could concievably get to Level 11. That's 88 XP. Epic imbalance win.

Didn't get completed. But I thought it was cool. Of course, I wasn't around when it got started and eventually died.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Zerovirus wrote:And now I want to go and hide Borg, Terminator, R2D2, C3P0, and a bunch more random names in Steelhive's unit name file. Any other robot name ideas? (I -could- put Quote, but that's pushing the robot limits a bit.) Oh yeah. And Bender. Dalek too. Robocop! :D

Maybe do: "Kwoto". :D
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Klaatu?

If you felt like some fun, add letters, hyphens and numbers to the name generator, and you've got star wars robots :D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Maybe Toaster :D
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Kalajel

Re: Funny units names

Post by Kalajel »

I wonder if anyone tried using teh naming guides in the various D&D supplement "Races of…" and "Drow of teh Underdark"…
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I didn't realize you could do this, but a quick look through the files found the place where each race's names are listed. I tried replacing the elvish names with my own stuff, but then I tested it in-game and it was trying to combine the syllables from one name with others. :augh: (which was actually somewhat amusing. I got an Elf Fighter named Turumyrran. Turuk + Blarumyrran. The only one that worked right was an elvish shaman named Noy... :lol2: ) How do I make it just use the exact names I list? :hmm:
Set the markov_chain_size in the [race] to a sufficiently long value so that there won't be any matching word-parts. (default is 2, woses use 3)
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

AI wrote:Set the markov_chain_size in the [race] to a sufficiently long value so that there won't be any matching word-parts. (default is 2, woses use 3)
Ah, ok! Thanks! :D
Araja

Post by Araja »

Briefly going back to the strange unit names, every now and then I see an orc or troll called Dad.
Chaotic huh? So *that's* why he used to win the bedtime debates...

Okay I'm done.
*let's go of thread's collar*
Araja

Post by Araja »

=<bump>=

Halfway down page 2...I'm dancing with accusations of thread necromancy here...Oh, to hell with it :)
Captain Kirk.JPG
Since the Enterprise crashed in the Wilderlands, the captain has really put on weight.
No language filter on random names.JPG
No, I didn't name this saurian manually, and yes, it's past the 9pm watershed over here :P

*makes a run for it*
i_like_cheese

Post by i_like_cheese »

Recently the was a footpad called Add and one called Clone
Kia Ora
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

you know it's kinda nice feeling when your thread gets bumped
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

i_like_cheese wrote:Recently the was a footpad called Add and one called Clone
I get the "Add" name for humans all the time...
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Gord or Gort or wahtever...
Umm, the robot form the day the earth stood still? anyone know the which it is?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."