Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?

Post by Jetrel »

All time honorable mentions:
- Blade runner
- Shawshank Redemption
- Pan's Labyrinth
- probably some others, can't think of them atm.

I recently saw Kingdom of Heaven; went in with very low expectations (not sure why, maybe just knee-jerk antihype), was pleasantly surprised at how good the movie was (also very much liked the portrayal of Saladin, and the nameless blond knight hospitaler). I was actually surprised at Orlando Bloom's acting; I think he did a really good job with a very difficult-to act character (arguably a marty-stu). I'm going to put on my moderator hat and issue a preemptive word of warning about getting in any religion flamewars just because I mentioned a movie that had something to do with the subject. Don't go there. :P

Also recently saw an excellent old Disney Movie: Condorman.
Campiest thing I've ever seen. Absolutely hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPv1IFW ... 1&index=14

(yes, you can see the whole movie on youtube. go figure)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Favourite goes to Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children, just because I'm a huge FF fan (if you hadn't realised).

I did watch Mongol recently, mainly due to reading the Wolf of the Plains trilogy. The books were fantastic, the film wasn't. It was a bit like watching any of the Harry Potter movies, I couldn't help but disagree that that wasn't what happened. In Mongol they even cut Bekhter (or whichever spelling you prefer) from the entire thing and he was a pretty pivotal character.

I like the sound of Kingdom of Heaven Jet, I'll have to look that up.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Jetrel wrote:Also recently saw an excellent old Disney Movie: Condorman.

It's a classic. Thanks for the link.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Jetrel wrote: Also recently saw an excellent old Disney Movie: Condorman.

Two words: Black Porsche.
This movie is responsible for a lot of strong and strange impressions of my childhood.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

It should have won two Academy Awards: one for makeup and costuming and another for special effects.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Jetrel wrote:I recently saw Kingdom of Heaven; went in with very low expectations (not sure why, maybe just knee-jerk antihype), was pleasantly surprised at how good the movie was
I liked it as well. It's on my top ten list in fact, for a lot of reasons, including several that you mentioned. In general, there's nothing I like better than a well-done epic war movie. On that same note...
Cloud wrote:I did watch Mongol recently, mainly due to reading the Wolf of the Plains trilogy. The books were fantastic, the film wasn't. It was a bit like watching any of the Harry Potter movies, I couldn't help but disagree that that wasn't what happened.
Like watching Harry Potter? Are we thinking of the same movie? If they have anything in common, it most definitely isn't the awkward teenage moments :wink:
Anyway, I haven't read the books so I guess i don't know what i'm missing. If they really do blow the movie out of the water, I have no choice but to check them out.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Limabean wrote:
Cloud wrote:I did watch Mongol recently, mainly due to reading the Wolf of the Plains trilogy. The books were fantastic, the film wasn't. It was a bit like watching any of the Harry Potter movies, I couldn't help but disagree that that wasn't what happened.
Like watching Harry Potter? Are we thinking of the same movie? If they have anything in common, it most definitely isn't the awkward teenage moments :wink:
Anyway, I haven't read the books so I guess i don't know what i'm missing. If they really do blow the movie out of the water, I have no choice but to check them out.
I meant in the sense I was always refering to what had happened in the books when the film differed. I wouldn't have minded small differences as there's never been one true telling of that story, but it was so far removed from the books (much like the Harry Potters became) that it's hard not to notice the difference. (Okay the book too strays from the truth in several parts, but the author (Conn Iggulden) always mentions that he has in a note at the back).
Last edited by Cloud on October 19th, 2009, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I think the first two HP's were excellent but after the [first of many] director switch the series of movies went down the drain.

All of the books were good except the last one. She tried to tie up too many loose ends to soon and ended up diluted. Rather thin. Sort of stretched. Like butter that's been scraped over too much bread.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

ancestral wrote:I like District 9.
I actually came just out of the cinema watching this one (the original version), and I am quite confused. Yeah, I liked the movie, but is anyone out there, who can explain the giant plothole to me majorly consisting of
Spoiler:
Last edited by Thanatos on October 21st, 2009, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Thanatos wrote:
ancestral wrote:I like District 9.
I actually came just out of the cinema watching this one (the original version), and I am quite confused. Yeah, I liked the movie, but is anyone out there, who can explain the giant plothole to me
Spoiler:
:hmm:
Ok, I'm not going to watch that movie anymore.

Edit: Spoiler unspoiled.

Greetz
HomerJ
Last edited by HomerJ on October 21st, 2009, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Six years without a signature!
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

HomerJ wrote:Ok, I'm not going to watch that movie anymore.

Greetz
HomerJ
Hope this isn't my fault (missed the spoiler tags but anyhow, I thought the start of my sentence would imply what was coming anyway, latest with mentioning the plot hole)... :(
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Thanatos wrote:
HomerJ wrote:Ok, I'm not going to watch that movie anymore.

Greetz
HomerJ
Hope this isn't my fault (missed the spoiler tags but anyhow, I thought the start of my sentence would imply what was coming anyway, latest with mentioning the plot hole)... :(
It is not because of the spoiler but because of the plot which seems to be not what I had expected.

No harm done, you probably saved me money.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I just watched Shawshank Redemption, and I was very impressed. Easily the best prison movie i've ever seen. Highly recommended.
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

The Postman - I loved this movie. I thought though that it could have followed the book more with the Postman's personality.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Mors

Post by Mors »

Well, that's a very hard question :?... My favorite movie at the moment would be "The Punisher" (1978) :P. I find this version more appealing than the 2004 one.
Mors