Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cybermouse

Re: What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?

Post by Cybermouse »

bigkahuna wrote:That's because you were dreaming, and still are.
So what's your take on all the fallacies?
Spoiler:
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Spoiler:
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

Spoiler:
Cybermouse
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

While we're at it, can anyone explain to me why limbo is a shared space? Is it part of the machine or something?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Hulavuta wrote:While we're at it, can anyone explain to me why limbo is a shared space? Is it part of the machine or something?
I have no idea. Their definition is
Spoiler:
Yeah, Inception leaves things untouched, but leaving things to the imagination of the viewer makes a movie better.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
MCP

Post by MCP »

Black Swan is another amazing movie by Aronofsky. He does not shy away from any complex emotion.

I'll let the professionals do full reviews, but I highly recommend at least reading up and seeing if you're interested.

Just in case,
I also highly recommend The Wrestler (2008) and The Fountain (2006). Aronofsky gets good acting out of actors that I've otherwise found relatively bland or uninspiring. Natalie Portman in Black Swan is just another example of someone I find to not be an inspiring actress, and yet in this movie she is great. Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler and Hugh Jackman in The Fountain, same deal, relatively mediocre acting otherwise, but in Aronofsky's movies, great acting. Maybe it has to do with the stories.
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

I agree about The Fountain, it is quite a unique experience. Make sure you watch it twice - it took me two watchings to really understand the timeline and symbolism, which is a massive undercurrent that you could completely miss and still enjoy the movie at face value for the great visuals and music.

Looking forward to Black Swan...
Cybermouse
cookie

Post by cookie »

My favorite movie right now is inception. It is really good.

I recently watched TRON Legacy. I found the movie alright but not amazing. My final note on the movie is that there was a big section on this game. A game I actually played previously on my computer as a demo. It was years ago and consisted the same thing except they had ships and neon lights. The other thing left in my mind is that the main character of girls are all really pretty. I love the white hair and their makeup. x]

I actually have watched Black Swan online. (Don't worry I always go cinemas with friends after watching it online to give their money back. I just couldn't wait. :])
It is really good and you should watch it and is worth the visit to the cinemas and I would pay to watch it again. If i was to compare it. I would chose this over Avatar even though the connectedness was awesome. Natalie Portman is one of my favourite actors. This movie has to be one of her bets work. Actually, I think she already knew ballet before the film.
Bye says the cookie.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I thought Tron Legacy was pretty good. For the most part. There was a lot of UST and other plot points that could be fleshed out farther. I mean, the movie wasn't that long. (Or was it?) But, perhaps it was explained in the original Tron, which I haven't seen.

I also have finally watched "Salt". Personally I thought it was pretty good, but got ridiculously out of hand. I mean, once the guy played by Liev Schrieber was revealed to ALSO be a spy, I half expected it to be revealed that EVERYONE was a spy...

But, one question about the movie...Salt was trained to be a spy, and IS a spy, but doesn't want to be anymore? Which is why she DIDN'T actually
Spoiler:

Right?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Mal_Colay

Post by Mal_Colay »

I enjoyed JUMPER, and it is still my all time favorite movie, though that is because of the awesome implications of the ability to teleport anywhere you can see/remember. That and the really hot co-main character Millie. ^__^
Wesbreak is over, I'll be on more and more frequently now.

Please don't take everything I say at dollar value, due to inflation it is now probably worth a few pennies.
Matherton

Post by Matherton »

The new(ish) Sherlock Holmes movie. An awesome new take on the characters of Holmes and Watson. Brilliant; full of energy.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Matherton wrote:The new(ish) Sherlock Holmes movie. An awesome new take on the characters of Holmes and Watson. Brilliant; full of energy.
If they just had skipped their interpretation of Irene Adler... And sometimes Homes felt to be to rude and not gentleman-like. Oh and I guess no present movie can go without the plot being set up to scream "Part II coming soon" today, which is a pity.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Inception.
As confusing as it was, it was a good movie.
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

HomerJ wrote:And sometimes Homes felt to be too rude and not gentleman-like.
Plenty consistent with the books, at least the ones I read.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Velensk wrote:
HomerJ wrote:And sometimes Homes felt to be too rude and not gentleman-like.
Plenty consistent with the books, at least the ones I read.
We probably mean different things, Holmes being cold, emotionless and direct doesn't mean he is not to be considered a respected member of the higher society.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!