Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Movies discussion

Post by Crendgrim »

I have seen it as well, and it really touched me.
Spoiler:
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, okay thanks for clearing that up Speedbrain. I knew Wikipedia could never be wrong :whistle:
cookie wrote:H, did you cry?
I don't cry during movies. I can get invested in the characters and I feel bad and sad but I never cry. I'm not entirely sure why, that's just the way it is...and it's not like I can't cry or anything, I cry all the time in real life.

About the movie itself, and this has probably been said a million times before, I really like how it was done. Making a comedy about the holocaust without offending people is a pretty hard thing to do. :wink:

I think it worked so well because
Spoiler:
I also think it may be the fact that, (and correct me if I am wrong), Guido is really the only funny character. So it's more like what happens to a funny guy when he is thrown into a very serious situation, as opposed to a bunch of funny people in a funny situation like in regular comedy films.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
cookie

Post by cookie »

Crendgrim wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And I do think the idea of that movie is that it really shows the extent the will of love can be. The fathers protective and he demonstrates an accelerated idea of right and wrong. He doesn't fight back for justice yet he understands that it is wrong of them to behave as such even when they weren't in the detention camp.
Crim; Have you googled what Guido is? I googled it to double check on the lead characters name and it turns out to be a racial slang. :S
Hulavuta wrote: I cry all the time in real life.
Thats' just sad.

Guys whats your favourite part? I think mine would have to be either when the mother gets on the train too OR the part where the american soldier appears. I dont know why but I think I like the latter more.
Bye says the cookie.
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

cookie wrote:
Spoiler:
Yes.
cookie wrote:Guys whats your favourite part? I think mine would have to be either when the mother gets on the train too OR the part where the american soldier appears. I dont know why but I think I like the latter more.
Sorry, it's been way too long since I watched that movie. I only remember a few parts.
cookie

Post by cookie »

Its been several months since I watched it but I suppose I may have better memory :) :whistle:
Bye says the cookie.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Guido is a racial slang term for Italians but it is also definitely the main character's name, Guido Orefice.
cookie wrote:
Hulavuta wrote: I cry all the time in real life.
Thats' just sad.
I don't have a problem :augh:
That's not quite what I meant, perhaps I should rephrase it. I meant more to say that I can cry...I don't cry "all the time", that was just a hyperbole.
cookie wrote:Guys whats your favourite part?
My favorite part has to be when Guido does the translation for the rules. It's just so hilarious how the German guy has no idea what Guido is saying and thinks that it's all accurate.

I also liked the scene where Guido find his old Doctor friend (I can't remember his name T_T) who now has to work for the camp. It really showed how some of the people doing the terrible things were victims too.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

cookie wrote:Its been several months since I watched it but I suppose I may have better memory :) :whistle:
;)
Well, it probably have been a few years by now. So, if that counts as an excuse. :P
cookie

Post by cookie »

No Crim, not for you :)
Bye says the cookie.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I watched some old Speilberg stuff the other day, Poltergeist and Jaws, both are really well done.

I also recently watched Amelie and Rushmore (again), both are solid.

If Anchorman is a classic then I have at least one foot in the grave :lol2:
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Crow_T wrote:I watched some old Speilberg stuff the other day, Poltergeist and Jaws, both are really well done.
Wasn't even aware until now that Spielberg did Poltergeist :oops:

Good movie, not so good that my wife usually falls asleep with the TV on... :augh:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

What did you think of "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"?
cookie

Post by cookie »

I'm so excited to watch it and its my most anticipated movie for this year! Make sure to include "spoliers".
Bye says the cookie.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Nice! Looks like I can be the first to report on The Hobbit.
I suppose I'll just stick it all into a spoiler.
Spoiler:
MCP

Post by MCP »

For the Hobbit 1:
First off, it is well done. I am still remembering little things, from beautiful scenery to silly jokes, to the way a festering tumor chin swayed back and forth.

The one serious draw-back:
The interesting characters in LotR have better depth than any of the characters in this first installment of the Hobbit. That has to do with the current position in the Hobbit as well as how awesome, for instance, Boromir is in LotR.

Riddles in the Dark is the best part (as expected).

"It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand."

I want to watch Les Miserables. The song they used in the trailer was one I remember from when I was a kid.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I too enjoyed the riddles between Bilbo and Gollum. Most memorable part of the book and the movie for me.
Spoiler:
I'd agree with MCP on the lack of depth to the characters as well. But, to be fair, I don't remember being pulled into many of the dwarve's characters while reading the book, either. They function more as a unit and their character stems from that. It seemed to me that the movie was trying too hard to be inspirational, rather than just telling an adventure.