Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Susi

Re: What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?

Post by Susi »

HomerJ wrote:
Susi wrote:My Fav movie is princess mononoke (it's a anime movie)
If you like that one, also watch Nausicaa if you get a chance.

Greetz
HomerJ
I have seen nausucaa and i have also seen totoro, porco rosso, howl castle, spirited away, laputa, earth sea and kiki's delivery thing (all thous movies i got) and i liked mononoke the best
airsoftg36c

Post by airsoftg36c »

kick @$$
that movie really does!
the force is like duct tape-- it has a dark side and a light side and it keeps the universe together.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Me personally I found it really really bad. And not in a good way. I actually felt sorry for Nicolas Cage to appear in it. But this movie was obviously well received by the audience and the critics, maybe someone can explain to me what was good in it?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Endless

Post by Endless »

big fan of "...of the dead" saga so i have to go with "dawn of the dead" but "night of the living dead" especially the remake it's very very good too.
tyler

Post by tyler »

I really need to visit the forums more. I'm going to have to go with 'Hot Fuzz.' It was pretty humorous. I have to give props to Iron Man 2 though, it was what Transformers 2 should have been.
MCP

Post by MCP »

Oh man Hot Fuzz, simply brilliant.

I cannot wait for the next Edgar Wright plus Simon Pegg feature. On that note, Edgar Wright, without Pegg, is releasing the 'defeat seven ex boyfriends' corny looking movie "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World."

They are collaborating on "The World's End (2010)": (not sure if it's going to be released this year or what)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213663/
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Curious, does anyone here watch asian dramas/movies? I see anime, but I mean real productions. No, not the romantic sappy ones. I mean really powerful, thriller, and exciting ones. My favorite as of now is Hansungbyulgok, aka Conspiracy in the Court. It's semi-historical drama masterpiece. Tense, thriller, mystery, compelling love story without overdoing it, a little action, and great acting/directing. Kim Ha Eun isn't pretty in the beginning, but as the drama moves on, she feels more and more beautiful.

Anyways, I don't really watch American movies. Why, I dunno. I guess my favorite in that genre is Up.
EDIT: No, Monsters, Inc. is better.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Hmm, I've seen a few Godzillas, and I've seen "Ran"
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Gambit wrote:In order to put at least one wheel back on the track:

I was recently somehow bored enough that the second Narnia movie looked somewhat enjoyable, so I gave it a shot. During/After the movie I was somehow bored enough that bashing my head into the wall looked somewhat enjoyable.

Same rushed piece of lion dung as the first.
The narnia movies mostly sucked, but I have to say, in "prince caspian", at least during the first 2/3 of the movie, the bad guy came off pretty well. Especially, I thought his coronation scene was pretty cool.

It's always a cool trope when the bad-guy has a coronation scene.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Finally go to see A Scanner Darkly.

I loved it, a very good interpretation of my favoirte Philip K Dick novel, and closely based on the book.

A few minor points of crititcism though:
I have no objection to them "updating" it slightly in places, nor with the (slight) liberties they took with the plot.
Spoiler:
However, I didn't care much for the way they interpreted characters, specifically Donna and Barris, who were my two favorite characters. I think they could have stayed closer to the book there, Barris was an dark ominous character (I picture him with this knowing smirk on his face most of the time) adn Donna was like more of a rebel
Spoiler:
Then of course the movie kind of missed out on that whole everything building up to a paranoid climax, which you find out was actually just Arctor going to pieces, and then you find out that it was a paranoid climax afterall... the book had more atomsphere.

Still, it worked well, loved the way they did Freck, and also, it wasn't a "I've seen the movie, now I don't need to read the book" movie, it makes me want to read the book again. I couldn't have made a better version even with loads of time, all the resources and stuff they had.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
norbert

Post by norbert »

Hatter_Madigan wrote:What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?
About a week ago, I watched "Exam". A low-budget movie (from 2009), but it's good and refreshing. Make sure you don't read any spoilers, probably not even watch the trailer. The movie is a mix of 12 Angry Men and Cube. If you liked one of those movies, make sure to check out Exam.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I watched How To Train Your Dragon on the plane. And I found it surprisingly good. It had been heartily recommended by the guy who writes Schlock Mercenary, so I had high hopes anyway, but it was really, really good. Not just a kids' movie with in-jokes for adults taknig their kids, but a movies that is good for an adult to watch, but still kid-appropriater. Highly recommend it.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I resaw The Matrix 1 and 2. I have to say, brilliant story. I hate it when people get turned off to movies like The Matrix, Terminator, or the game Halo, because it has a lot of killing and cursing. They say: "Oh, it's killing, it's just for people who like death." which covers up the fact that these movies actually have a good story. Death and Cursing can be used very effectively. Death and war are sad, making the movies emotional, and cursing can be used to add depth to a character. (Easily portraying his/her angry nature.)
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Hulavuta wrote:I resaw The Matrix 1 and 2. I have to say, brilliant story.
:shock: You are the first person I meet that did not say the following about the matrix trilogy:
"The first one was brilliant but you can forget about the other two."

I myself did like part2, 3... hm... don't know, I could not take the epic fight scenes seriously because they reminded me to much of Dragonball. :roll:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

The fight at the end of Part three was kind of dumb. They were just flying around and punching each other. It was [censored]...

But the battle with the Mechs and the Sentinels was just epic. And I like how in the Matrix 2, they show that the "One" is actually a plan by the Machines as well.
~Sierra