Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Flameslash

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Flameslash »

Just started Vagabond.
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Maybe I'll check out Asimov's Foundation books...
I have read first few, they are not very special. I don't remember well, but perhaps the earliest are allright. But what i recommend is The End of Eternity, if i remember, it was more interesting.

In fact i couldn't borrow it from library, don't remember why, so i stole it. It was few years ago, and it's still not retrieved, gotta do it some time soon.

Kir Bulychev had some interesting stories, from Great Guslar (Великий Гусляр) series. I don't know how much of it has english translations. Especially interesting was again a book which did not belong to series: Вид на битву с высоты, again i have no idea if it was ever translated to english.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I just finshed reading the script of "The Crucible", a play about the Salem witch trials. It really strengthened my conviction that religion/superstition is a bad thing.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Just started re-reading "Wolf of the Plains" by Conn Iggunlden.

Really good book, all about Genghis Khan and his rise to that position. The upside is it doesn't feel like a boring historical fact book, in fact on the first time of reading, I hadn't even realised it was a real story until I found out the lead character was actually Genghis Khan (even though it says so on the blurb on the back :oops:
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

After a lot of philosophical stuff (interested German speakers can find reviews here), I switched over to some more entertaining for a while. So I am reading

Richard Morgan "Altered Carbon"

atm. The author is regulary compared to William Gibson, which doesn't make it good in the first place. I enjoyed "Neuromancer", but actually I didn't find it worth all the fuzz being made about it. At least the first chapters prove that the book is really hard-boiled fiction. I think I might need something like that right now.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Adellion

Post by Adellion »

lessons on python on the internet

for a book...

THE NEW BOOK OF KNOWLEDGE :eng:
The children's encyclopedia
The Q-R edition (that means all topics Q through R)

as dumb as i am I cant seem to find the author anywhere in this book :annoyed:
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Adellion wrote:as dumb as i am I cant seem to find the author anywhere in this book :annoyed:
Encyclopedias are seldomly written by one author and popular ones don't name them all or even which article they may have done. (With scientific ones, this is different.) You may find the name of an editor in the imprint if you're lucky. But seriously, who would reference a children's encyclopedia anyway? ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Adellion

Post by Adellion »

hey man im 14 years old what do you expect and besides,

its more than just some dumb old encyclopedia plus for some reason it uses some college text and covers alot of topics on electromagnetic waves, nuclear power, the renaissance, famous people, reasons for mental retardation(which I thought was mean), the civil war, and quantum electrodynamics :D
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Mmm, I started reading Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery when I was fourteen... that's a great book. I need to reread it...
Adellion

Post by Adellion »

Do you think that book would still be in any normal public library I would love to check it out :mrgreen:
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Hm, I don't know--the updated version was published in 1994, and AFAIK there's been no reprint since... :hmm:

Ask, though! You never know...
Lalindo

Post by Lalindo »

I'm reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. And I just finished reading The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway.
"Try to restate the purpose of the story. In your native tongue, if necessary.
If English is your native tongue, well...
I never did like our public school system."
-Maeglin Dubh
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Just read Off Armageddon Reef and By Schism Rent Asunder, by David Weber. Can't wait for By Heresies Distressed.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Now i'm reading "Black Hawk Down". It's a great work of nonfiction, and exciting too
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I am working on and reading my book, The Trial of The Dragonmasters. I personally think that it isn't as good as, say, Eragon and other such stories, but others say it's better.

I am currently working to finish and publish it before August, so I can win the title of youngest author to have a book published. :mrgreen:

I have to finish by then, or Paolini will keep the title... :annoyed:

Something interesting: In my contacts with Paolini, he wishes me good luck :shock: , so I am determined to make sure his best wishes goes to someone who can make a good story.

If anyone would like to hear the kind of fiction I write, PM me and I will post a small sample in Off-Topic.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador