Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vladcara

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Vladcara »

Here are my three all-time favourite authors:

David Eddings (The Belgariad, The Malloreon, The Redemption of Althalus)

Raymond E. Fiest (The Riftwar Saga, The Serpentwar Saga, The Darkwar Saga and about half a dozen more series besides)

And the obligatory J.R.R Tolkein (Do I really need to say it?)
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

My favourite books:
-Tobie Lolness (Timothée de Fombelle)
-The Graveyard Book (Neil Gaiman)
-The curious incident of the dog in the night-time (Mark Haddon)
R.I.P
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

hhyloc wrote:The curious incident of the dog in the night-time (Mark Haddon)
What is that about? That activates my Sherlock Holmes detectors.

Greetz
HomerJ

Edit: Found better term.
Six years without a signature!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Dog in the night-time is about an autistic boy investigating the death of his neighbour's dog, and the journey on which it leads him. It's good. It also contains an elegant proof of the damn near impossible to explain Monty Hall problem.

Currently reading (appropriately enough) Down Under by Bill Bryson. It's asfunny as I recall it being the first time.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

thespaceinvader wrote:Dog in the night-time is about an autistic boy investigating the death of his neighbour's dog, and the journey on which it leads him. It's good. It also contains an elegant proof of the damn near impossible to explain Monty Hall problem.

Currently reading (appropriately enough) Down Under by Bill Bryson. It's asfunny as I recall it being the first time.
So... no connection to the Sherlock Holmes case "Silver Blaze" where this quote is from:

"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.

:hmm:

Greetz
HomerJ
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

thespaceinvader wrote:Currently reading (appropriately enough) Down Under by Bill Bryson. It's asfunny as I recall it being the first time.
Excellent book. All his others are worth reading as well, particularly Notes from a Small Island. Although that could just be because I'm British and books like that are much funnier if you,ve been to the places they're on about
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Notes from a Big Country is Bryson's best IMO, it's funny in a much more reliable and accessible way, due to the format of being written for a newspaper column. It's also easier to read in little bits.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

thespaceinvader wrote:Dog in the night-time is about an autistic boy investigating the death of his neighbour's dog, and the journey on which it leads him. It's good. It also contains an elegant proof of the damn near impossible to explain Monty Hall problem.
Yes. As thespaceinvader said, it very interesting, and I liked the Monty Hall problem too, it's all about logicalness (I think)

Another book I like is 'Tunnels', its about Will Burrows and his friend Chester in search for his dad and discover the hidden city called 'The Colony' and the Styx.
Currently I only have the first book: Tunnel, I'm still search for the next books include Deeper, Freefall and Closer...
R.I.P
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Stephen King, Stephen King and Stephen King. He is awesome! :D
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Vladcara wrote:Here are my three all-time favourite authors:

David Eddings (The Belgariad...
Ahhh, the Belgariad. That was one of the first serious fantasy series I ever read. I may not remember the names of most of the characters, but i still have fond memories. :)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Dunno wrote:Stephen King, Stephen King and Stephen King. He is awesome! :D
I have either read the books, or watched the movies, sometimes both. The last one the I read of him was "Cell" and I was slightly disappointed. However, the Short Story collections are just great.

Greetz
HomerJ
NurlorVoronwe

Post by NurlorVoronwe »

i really like Valerio Massimo Manfredi, and i have read three books; "The ides of march", "the lost army" and "Chimaira". excellent books
Nûrlor Voronwë

--II Punic War for Battle for Wesnoth! *Coming soon*
Parts of the storyline here
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Just finished reading Frankenstein (unabridged). For some unfathomable reason, I'd never read it up to now, although I'd heard enough about it to know the basic storyline. Being the classic literature enthusiast that I am, I went with the unabridged version. :geek: It was a fun and morbid read. :P

I've been reading The Count of Monte Cristo for the last day and a half (also the unabridged version), which novel is some 1,500+ pages with small type. It's gonna take a while to get through that one. :P
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Trilby
Art Contributor

Post by Trilby »

Nice choices there Artisticdude. Frankenstein is a personal favourite, I particularly like the part where the monster is recounting his time with the French refugees. I've also read Shelley's The Last Man, that one is tougher going.

The Count of Monte Cristo, I enjoyed as far as I got. Unfortunately, my reading habits were so broken at the time, when i finally found the time to get back to it, I'd forgotten the abundance of character names and to whom they related, so I've still to get back to it. Nearly ten years have passed since then. :hmm:
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i wanted to reply a dozen times already, but never found the time to concentrate on the many replies and go in depth for a proper answer, so ill pick up the line just here again:

yes monte christo...really fascinating! i saw there r a lot of "versions" of the story out, i was reading the one in scarlet red, around 1000 pages strong, very very small font size, and it was golden when u were looking at it from the top (the pages edges). needless to say that it was a highly satisfying read, but there is something else that holds this book in a fond memory of mine - in fact, i have quite the funny story to tell about the book:

i was sitting in a station, waiting for the metro, with exactely this book opened on my lap. i was absorbed reading when i suddenly noticed two figures approaching me slowly, harmlessly. when i finally looked up, i saw into two de-lighted faces, looking at me in childlike anticipation. then, the right one asked me "hello brother, i noticed you read the BIBLE ?" (UAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA______!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.M.G. me of all people !!!!!!!)

epilogue: i was very kind of course, telling them that i was reading monte christo, which looked from afar quite similar, and even had to remove the coversheet because they were looking so surprised. after that they slowly scuttled off.

ps: just finished mistborn I 30 minutes ago. what a great book ! thx spaceinvader! im through with freaconomics too, and thought i might read superfreaconomics any time soon.