Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Turuk »

Thanatos wrote:So, I will start Dan Simmons' "Lovedeath" tonight, a collection of novelettes circling around... guess what?
Do you ever read anything on any topics besides death?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Turuk wrote:
Thanatos wrote:So, I will start Dan Simmons' "Lovedeath" tonight, a collection of novelettes circling around... guess what?
Do you ever read anything on any topics besides death?
Actually yes. A lot. But I find this topic best for showing what I read in a non-professional way (well, some of it could qualify as professional too, *shrug*). So it's mainly thanatological stuff I read because I am interested in it as from personal interest. Call me a geek of Death... :P

If I would have to post, what I read for my job atm, it would look like this:

- Hobbes: Leviathan.
- Bakunin: State and Anarchy.
- Marx/Engels: Manifest der Kommunistischen Partei.
- Gehrke/Schneider: Ancient History.
- Bergmann: The Roman Empire.
- Two more books about Theoretical Anarchism.
- Four books about didactics of History and Philosophy (Alright, I finished two of them today).
- About a dozen schoolbooks.
- Pupils essays, homework, written tests...

Any more questions? ;)

/edit: Btw, I posted non-thanatologic books here too. See Morgan's "Altered Carbon" and the "Watchmen" for example. Others, not-mentioned but recently finished, would include Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" and Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles".
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

I'm reading the Complete Chronicles of Conan.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Maeglin Dubh wrote:I'm reading the Complete Chronicles of Conan.
The actual conan books are awesome. :annoyed: Now if only we could get a decent movie made of the franchise.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Jetryl wrote:
Maeglin Dubh wrote:I'm reading the Complete Chronicles of Conan.
The actual conan books are awesome. :annoyed: Now if only we could get a decent movie made of the franchise.
No, you're stuck with the Governator.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Friedrich Schiller "Wilhelm Tell".

*winks at Turuk* ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ha, so no death this time around?

That is a good play though, I was always partial to that legend.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Today, I read Thud!.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:Today, I read Thud!.
Any good? I have heard the game can be fun to play.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Very.

Can't say I've tried the game. Would like to, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I seem to recall that it's very fun, but I think we found that the trolls tend to have a huge advantage after the first turn or two...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:I seem to recall that it's very fun, but I think we found that the trolls tend to have a huge advantage after the first turn or two...
I only played a few games, but I had read somewhere something similar to that, that the tone of the game is usually decided in the first couple turns.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I played Thud once, as the dwarves vs a troll who didn't know what he was doing. He lost horribly I had 21 dwarves left at the end. It wasn't very fun but then I imagine it might be more interesting if the person I was playing had a grip on the idea that one/two troll lines are not the way to go.

Since I'm posting in this thread: I'm reading the bronze chronicles. The first one was very strange, the second one seems even stranger so far. It seems to be three separate stories that vaguely mirror each other told at the same time. Some of the strange things that occur are goblins conquering ogres in humongous mecha powered by books, dragons that play games with each other where they send humans into battle but the score isn't determined by who wins the battle, but rather the position of the bodies afterwards. There are aspects of the book I find annoying or uninteresting, but at the same time I find the books interesting/compelling so I read it anyway.

EDIT for note: Actually I'm not positive that two troll lines are a bad thing to form, however Forming them when only one end is pointing at a dwarf which can easily relocate itself to a safe place was not an effective way to win.
Last edited by Velensk on June 5th, 2009, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Joram

Post by Joram »

Just finished reading "Decision at Delphi", by Helen MacInnes. An interesting book about an American architect sent out to sketch the ruins in post-WWII Greece, and finds himself caught up in political undercurrents when his partner, a Greek/American photographer, gets into trouble.

I thought the ending a bit anti-climactic, but other than that, it was a decent book. I wasn't previously aware that Greece had so much turmoil during/just after WWII, so I guess I can say that it was a little educational.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »