Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Temuchin Khan »

The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni, one of the classics of nineteenth century Italy. Here's the basic plot:

In seventeenth century Italy, Lorenzo and Lucia are about to get married, but local bigwig Don Rodrigo wants the girl, too. He sends his goons to cow the parish priest into refusing to perform the wedding, and Lorenzo and Lucia are left in a tight spot. When both the young couple and Don Rodrigo decide to take more drastic measures, events develop in ways none of them could have foreseen. Famines, plagues, wars, riots, saints, and sinners all get involved before things are finally resolved.
Deukalion

Post by Deukalion »

I am currently finishing "The Terminal State" by Jeff Somners.

Its just a fun read. Its the fourth book in a series of distopic gunslinging action sci-fi kinda novels. They're great fun.
If you're at all curious, you should check out the first book "The Electric Church." It has gunslinging, hacking, cyborgs, government conspiracies, the whole works. The characters are pretty well written and there's plenty of black comedy.

Sorry if someone has posted about one of these books, 64 pages is a lot to keep track of.
phlegethon

Post by phlegethon »

Maximum Ride by James Patterson
My friend recommended it to me. Not sure if I like it.
The Doctor: So you find the breach, the sphere comes through. Six hundred feet above London, BAM! It tears a hole in the fabric of reality. And that hole, do you think, "Ooh, shall we leave it alone? Shall we back off, play it safe?" Nah, you think, "let's make it bigger!
cookie

Post by cookie »

I'm currently reading 'Chosen' from the House of Night Series by P.C Cast. I'm really liking this series following Zoey Redbird. Highly recommend this to people who like vampires stories. :lol2:
I'm also reading this 'thesis' http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
This is bound to give anyone a smile or shock if the reader was very logical. :)
No, I didn't write this if anyone wondering would ask.
Bye says the cookie.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Ice cream & sadness
^ comic book
Waiting for cheesedwarfs to be added to ageless.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Rereading the Ender serieses. Wishing the new one would come out so we can tie these loose threads.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Colouredbox wrote:Ice cream & sadness
^ comic book

Cyanide and Happiness book?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Hulavuta wrote:
Colouredbox wrote:Ice cream & sadness
^ comic book

Cyanide and Happiness book?
Yes

It also got interactivities for kids and slow adults!
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Spoiler:
Edit: To stay on topic, I just finished "The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less", by Barry Schwartz. The studies backing up his argument are fascinating.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

Alarantalara wrote:
Spoiler:
Edit: To stay on topic, I just finished "The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less", by Barry Schwartz. The studies backing up his argument are fascinating.
So I guess you're a kid or slow adult. :P

Just read "The Best American Comics", I think it was made in 2008. It gathers different kind of comics from american comicmakers. The fact that my english sucks kinda made it a little hard to read as the english used in it seems to be a mix of smack and internet slang :lol2: . Anyway good comics for comiclovers.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

In no particular order, over the last week or so, I have read:

Markus Heitz - The War of the Dwarves. Good book. Solid fantasy, though perhaps a little more predictable and less interesting than the first in the series.
Iain Banks - The Business. Very good book, but then I would expect such things from him.
China Miéville - The Scar. Seriously good book, but again, something I have come to expect from this author.

Maybe more later when it's not half past midnight.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Colouredbox

Post by Colouredbox »

xkcd.
A webcomic of romance,
sarcasm, math, and language.

EDIT: oopsie, almost double posted. anyway, now reading Walking on Glass by Iain Banks.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just finished North American Indian Wars by Richard H. Dilson. An interesting read if you're interested in the tactics employed by the native americans which allowed them to hold their own on many occasions or have an appreciation for savagry as there was certainly plenty of that to go around and the book takes the time to detail more than just the notable occurances of it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Just finished Perdido Street Station. On a China Mieville kick at the moment, which is good for me. Currently reading The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. Good, but only a short way in so not really sure yet where it's going.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

Yet another Stephen King. I just love this guy! ^_^
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?