Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

oberon

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by oberon »

I have been reading a lot less since I discovered Wesnoth.....
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

i read and play wesnoth....often at the same time
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I do that too. It's a good way to pass the time inbetween turns.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Yisandir

Post by Yisandir »

Eleazar wrote: A Song of Ice and Fire (books 1-3) by George R. R. Martin
My new favorite fantasy writer (after Tolkien of course). There's relatively little magic in the world, the story focuses a lot of the politics of medieval-type nobility, with a large cast of interesting and distinct characters, and a very convincingly real world. Everything i liked about Wheel of Time is done better in this series.
I really didn't like that series, anyway I'm currently reading The High King by Lloyd Alexander and The Simarillion by Tolkien
Almost done, if you count being about 30 hours away from your goal almost done.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Yisandir wrote:I'm currently reading The High King by Lloyd Alexander
Great author, Lloyd Alexander. His writing was deep, not just the surface-scratching jumble of words that some authors crank out. In his writing he raises many questions about life, morals, rights, and other philosophical concepts, but he did it in an excellent balance, and makes the reader consider the concepts. I found his stories are also very well thought out and interesting. He was (okay, he is, barring the fact that he's dead) one of my favorite authors.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Yisandir wrote:
Eleazar wrote: A Song of Ice and Fire (books 1-3) by George R. R. Martin
My new favorite fantasy writer (after Tolkien of course). There's relatively little magic in the world, the story focuses a lot of the politics of medieval-type nobility, with a large cast of interesting and distinct characters, and a very convincingly real world. Everything i liked about Wheel of Time is done better in this series.
I really didn't like that series, anyway I'm currently reading The High King by Lloyd Alexander and The Simarillion by Tolkien
I didn't like A Song of Ice and Fire either. The problem was that reguardless of how distinct and varied the characters all were, the ones that I had even a vauge interest in tended to die and I wouldn't care if an alien spacecraft nuked all the rest into oblivion.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire are the only two really major fantasy series I haven't touched - the number of books was simply too many for my budget. Hopefully that situation will change soon.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

The Wheel of Time isn't that good as it's really long and comlicated, and as a bonus, IT ISN'T FINISHED!
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

Ergh, I for one cannot stand Robert Jordan, but there's my two cents. He's like Tolkien's droning and side stories times one-million, but without any interesting parts to make it worth reading.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

It's being finished by one of my current favourite authors, which is one of the major things which draws me to try it now. I know at the very least, it;s likely to finish well...
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Joram

Post by Joram »

I'm currently reading The High King by Lloyd Alexander
The worst of the bunch, imo. He really did some things that don't belong in that world. Different things are appropriate for different worlds. The ending of The Last Battle was perfectly suited to The Chronicles of Narnia, and completed the story that C.S. Lewis began at the very beginning, and was telling throughout. The ending of The Return of the King was perfectly suited to The Lord of the Rings, and the whole plot builds up to it, masterfully completing the story that J.R.R Tolkien told. The ending of The High King was NOT suited to The Chronicles of Prydain, and did not fit any of the themes, events, or that came before (imo).

Sorry, but I feel strongly enough on the issue that I can't help a bit of a rant. If others disagree, please don't put anything here that spoils the ending. If I didn't like the first four books in the series so much, I might not mind.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

I've read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. It was OK, but slower than I what I think is a good tempo for a thriller. (I read quite a lot, for those who haven't noticed the abundance of my posts in this thread.)
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

sur.nhm wrote:(I read quite a lot, for those who haven't noticed the abundance of my posts in this thread.)
Abundance of posts in this thread is no indicator of frequency of reading. The thread would have a couple of extra pages, minimum, if I posted every book I read, even discounting study materials. I tend to finish books before I remember to think about posting them in threads like this.
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

Darren Shan - Vampires and Demons. Not everyones cup of tea, but most certainly mine. As you may have guessed. The series names are The Saga of Darren Shan and The Demonata. No prises for guessing which is which. Both nominally horror series, though I dont actually find them scary
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Am currently reading a book that some of you have probably also read. Eragon. This is about the 3rd time I've read it, so no big surprises in it. I hate it when I run out of books and then have no other choice than to go back and re-read them for about the hundreth time.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...