Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

KunoNoOni

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by KunoNoOni »

Jetrel wrote:Finally read "Ender's Game".

It was a good book; I'm surprised that it lived up to the hype.
I LOVE this book, read it like 3 times. I had a friend that read it so much the spine broke and he needed to buy a new book!

I just finished reading Dan Brown's Deception Point. Awesome book with a very nice twist in it. I'm going crazy with excitement as this Tuesday, Sept 15th, 2009, his new book ,The Lost Symbol, comes out!

-KunoNoOni
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I put asside Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (this would be the somethingth time I would have read it, but I never seem to get sick of it) to start reading Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson.

I also recently finished Clash of Kings by George RR Martin, which was, as I suspected an improvement on the first book in the series, but to me was nowhere near comparable to Steven Erikson's works.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

State of Emergancy: Third World Invasion and Conquest of America

For a paper on ilegal immigration. This book is so biased it's not even funny. And there's not actually much meat to it. All he does is reword the same statistics for 200 pages.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

The Elegant Universe, By Brian Greene. It's a physics book which, among other things, explains string theory in layman's terms.
I'm technically reading it for school, but It's interesting so I have a feeling I'll get ahead of the class. (yes, I know i'm a geek :geek: )
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Conversational Tagalog by Teresita Ramos.

It's a great book, and I highly recommend it if you're wanting to teach yourself Tagalog--even though it's aimed at a class, most of the exercises can be done with one person, and it's cheap (I got my copy for $20). The attendant dictionary also has stress and glottal stop marks written in, which not all dictionaries seem to have ;)
The one problem is that some of the phrases it uses are a little dated, but that's fairly easy to get around.

Also reading my usual host of Japanese and Icelandic books, but I'm sure no one wants to hear about those by now.
mm_

Post by mm_ »

Lord of the Rings I... for the ???th time... I just love that book. :D
Childhood's End by ArthurC. Clark: a story about the first landing of extraterrestrials on earth, and the downfall of the human race.
And Children of Hurin... another book written by Tolkien, about the life of a man called Turin :wink: and his deeds.
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

I like reading the Warriors and Seekers series, both by Erin Hunter.

Warriors series=Fighting Cats

Seekers series=Bears "saving the Wild"
"The one that kills is not always the one that lives."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I'm reading a collection of H. P. Lovecraft stories. I read "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Dunwich Horror" most recently.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

I've been away for a while due to work, ...

After reading Gaiman, I read Nietzsche's "Antichrist" and am now deep into Dahl's "Kiss Kiss", which I hope to finish soon, 'cause Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" are waiting for me already.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

This Thread.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Im reading Also Sprach Zarathustra and its a huge disappointement. He seems to never make a point that he doesnt contradict at another place. Its like a parody (of bible), but without anything funny in it.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Blarumyrran wrote:Im reading Also Sprach Zarathustra and its a huge disappointement. He seems to never make a point that he doesnt contradict at another place. Its like a parody (of bible), but without anything funny in it.
That could be because actually, Nietzsche is no systematical philosopher AND you chose the wrong book, if you really want to know. Even as some may call "... Zarathustra" Nietzsche's main work, it's only prose and it makes heavy use of the possibilities that come with it, afaik. I have to admit that I only read excerpts so far, but it's evident in all works by Nietzsche, that he saw himself not only as a philosopher of the academic kind, but as an artist of words.

Anyhow, I agree that he is overrated by far in philosophical means. I only use him in classes when I want to disappoint or disturb my pupils. :wink:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Yeah well, i dont know much more about philosophy than ive browsed wikipedia; but i thought id try something, and ive heard more references to alsosprachzarathustra in public media (no doubt mostly by people who havent read it) than any other book so i thought id start there.
Edguy_Forever

Post by Edguy_Forever »

Blarumyrran wrote:Yeah well, i dont know much more about philosophy than ive browsed wikipedia; but i thought id try something, and ive heard more references to alsosprachzarathustra in public media (no doubt mostly by people who havent read it) than any other book so i thought id start there.
So your Basis for picking the book was that you've heard a lot of people who never bothered to read it talking about it? interesting choice :hmm: I'd start with the classics... Give Mr. Sohkrates and Play-Doh a try. 90% of philosophy is just built off of what they figured out anyways.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

I did look up Politeia, and its not translated to my language
90% of philosophy is just built off of what they figured out anyways.
Really? All excerpts from the premodern classics ive read so far are just... dumb and obvious.