The User Art Topic

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: It is gone again Art Topic

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Self-portrait as an anatomical diagram:

Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Quite creepy. :wink:
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

interesting work!
if you're open to suggestions i have some: perhaps the different layers of muscle could be clearer if you use different shades of red? but more important you could work on the photo a bit more, some retouching around the neck/forehead would be good and the extraction around the hair (for the german forum members: kennt jemand das richtige wort für "freistellen" in diesem zusammenhang?) looks really angular (have you tried to use masks?).
do you have got other strange scientific illustrations?
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Kewl. Maybe add some veins too? I think I made a similar one way back, but it was just a random skinned face.

Ahem.

And now, a hijack, let's see my work as well. I had a sudden urge to draw a viking, and here's the result - very slightly a WIP. At the moment I'm aware that his left shoulderpad and the whole left side of the helmet are a bit off, as well as the fact that the chain mail's really messy, but I'm going to live with them. But how should I start off with making the axe and the gambeson (the brown armor) more convincing? (also, I apologize in advance for the size)

For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The axe: brighter brights, and more reflections visible of the face.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

hey - nice level of detail, like always! if you're still open for critique: the face has serious anatomical issues, first of all the eye placement. and remember eyes are not almonds painted ontop of the face but balls covered with lids laying within the skull, i can never stress that enough!
keep it up!

and if anybody is interested here is a link my sketchbook thread over at conceptart......
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

kitty wrote: and remember eyes are not almonds painted ontop of the face but balls covered with lids laying within the skull, i can never stress that enough!
I kept reading this, reciting it, and not 'getting it', as I learned to draw.

Here's a hint - when the face turns enough, the ball of the eye itself overlaps where one corner of the eyelid comes to a point. So you can only see one of the corners of the eye. You can see most of the white of the eye, but usually not the far corner.

This is part of the "gradual process with a few major bumps in it" that turns the eye from the "kinda almond-like shape" it has from the directly to the front, to the "pie wedge" shape it has from directly to the side; as the head turns.

I think (I don't know; almost never do until I try) that this would apply to his left (our right) eye.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty

Post by kitty »

concerning the eye question studying gottfried bammes anatomy book helped me a lot. i think his (highly recommended) book isn't online, but here is a study i did of his approach to the eye. hope that helps.

Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

kitty wrote:and if anybody is interested here is a link my sketchbook thread over at conceptart......
Do you like, draw these daily?
For the dark gods!
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Meh, might as well post this pixel art I am making out of boredom... (I could be sleeping right now but nooo... I have to be drawing... Yea, I can't sleep... Not tired... :( ...moving on...) I tried many times to draw Manga/Anime on paper/pencil but, I just can't seem to draw well that way. I prefer more digital type ways of drawing, since it's more controlled with pixels and less of the annoying pencil smudges... But anyway, here it is. :)

I did it all with Kolour Paint in linux... :lol2: (I'm an old fashioned pixelist.) Meh, still needs a lot of work yet thou. :| Knowing me, I probably won't finish it either... Oh well.
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
kitty

Post by kitty »

girgistan - sorry for the late reply, but i don't understand what your question is... do you ask if i draw daily? or if i do anatomical studies every day? however sadly the answer to both questions is no - i would love to but the evil real life eats up way too much time :(
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

kitty wrote:girgistan - sorry for the late reply, but i don't understand what your question is... do you ask if i draw daily? or if i do anatomical studies every day? however sadly the answer to both questions is no - i would love to but the evil real life eats up way too much time :(
Yeah I meant the studies, I was just wondering. I've heard once a week is (studies, that is) a good way for steady progress, but more is always better. I don't draw too often myself, either, let alone do studies - my wacom lies untouched for weeks at a time, occasionally. Evil real life eats up the enthusiasm. Sort of relieving, though, that even you don't do studies that often, or even draw. Makes it easier for my pride anyway :?
For the dark gods!
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I been taking a break from WML and working on practising my pixel art skills. I know it needs work yet, but the concept is still there nonetheless. I am gonna fix the body, the left hand, modify the skirt, and continue with the legs next. I am horrible when it comes to drawing female characters. That's why I am drawing this for more practice. I have watched/seen many examples of female figure drawing thou. But again; I am just a programmer. Drawing is just my hobby. No were near an expert pixelist. :? (But at least I am improving slowly. :) ) Anyway, here is what I have done so far... :?

I also gotta figure out how to pixelise folds in clothing as well. That to me, is one of the hardest things to do in anime/manga. Perhaps a little pratice with dithering could do the trick. :)

edit: Meh, I can't seem to decide what she will look like yet. But, I did come up with something a little bit better. I will play around with this new concept for awhile and see what comes up. I did come up with a few accessories for her. I think I will make this my new avatar if I can when it's compelete. :D

edit2: I am going to a new direction with her. She is going to be an angel with a weapon. (Spear or Scythe.) Sounds kinda strange, but I will continue to modify her when I get more of it done. Anyway, here is what I got atm. Still need to do the other wing yet thou.

edit3: I came up with a wonderful idea. I am going to base this character off of "Meru" from the game, "The Legend of Dragoon". I don't want to make an exact version of her, just pretty similar in design. This will look awesome when I am finished. :D

edit4: Nice! :D It is coming together perfectly. :) I love this female Anime/Manga sprite. Take a look... Neat eh? All that's left is the legs and maybe a background and im done. :mrgreen:

edit5: I believe for the most part, I am finished. Take a look. (Added transparent.) May need some minor touch ups still; but good enough. :P

Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Edit2 made her left shoulder awfully wide. Her upper body also seems a lot heavier than the lower part. Other than that it looks good to me.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

Okay; I might edit later. Plus I feel like I rushed on the legs/feet too much. Too bad there is nothing that this will be used for. Not wesnoth related anyway. (I don't think.)

But anyway; I was thinking about starting a new one but in GIMP this time. (Try giving something new a chance.) I started something that resembles Picalo from DBZ. :? (Well; not really... :| ) But this time; I gave it a straight ahead view. I am horrible when it comes to angle views... I am lucky even getting the one above as good as it turned out. :D Anyway; here is a very basic start for my new one.

Image (No lighting/shading yet. I want to get the basic look first to save a lot of time.)

I gotta edit the eyes yet. They look weird. :?

edit2: I am getting there... But GIMP's layers seem to slow me down a bit. :| However; I like how it can separate the colours.

(User Page)