Card game - Wizards and Warlords

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Midnight_Carnival

Re: Wesnoth great card game idea

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I think that the art style of Wesnoth and the game play are well suited to being turned into a card game (much, much more so than the proposed Wesnoth board game)

However I worry that many people here will not have such a clear view of what you are trying to do because there is a lot of Wesnoth politics.
Here is my suggestion:
Build a solid game with an original or a well established system, it should be engaging, fun and easy to play but still offer some challenge. Make it separately to Wesnoth and add the images and themes later. Otherwise work with these in mind but don't explicitly state them until you have a working game.
Wesnoth is a good game and if you make a Wesnoth card game, whatever you make will always be secondary; but if you make a good card game (which happens to be about Wesnoth), you might surpass the original.

I'd recommend you keep this discussion for the purpose of keeping your card game Wesnoth, but for really good useful criticism and advice, I'd suggest you post your ideas on www.bgdf.com the community is dedicated to creating games (board and card games) and can be very helpful. You can include the Wesnoth art, but I suggest you don't go in explicitly stating that you are trying to make a Wesnoth card game as this could limit the insights they give you.

That's just my advice.
I'm in the process of sorting out my life and will get back to you on your game and other stuff soon.
Thanks and good idea.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
The_Gnat

Re: great card game idea

Post by The_Gnat »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:I think that the art style of Wesnoth and the game play are well suited to being turned into a card game (much, much more so than the proposed Wesnoth board game)

However I worry that many people here will not have such a clear view of what you are trying to do because there is a lot of Wesnoth politics.
Here is my suggestion:
Build a solid game with an original or a well established system, it should be engaging, fun and easy to play but still offer some challenge. Make it separately to Wesnoth and add the images and themes later. Otherwise work with these in mind but don't explicitly state them until you have a working game.
Wesnoth is a good game and if you make a Wesnoth card game, whatever you make will always be secondary; but if you make a good card game (which happens to be about Wesnoth), you might surpass the original.

I'd recommend you keep this discussion for the purpose of keeping your card game Wesnoth, but for really good useful criticism and advice, I'd suggest you post your ideas on http://www.bgdf.com the community is dedicated to creating games (board and card games) and can be very helpful. You can include the Wesnoth art, but I suggest you don't go in explicitly stating that you are trying to make a Wesnoth card game as this could limit the insights they give you.

That's just my advice.
I'm in the process of sorting out my life and will get back to you on your game and other stuff soon.
Thanks and good idea.
I think that is really good advice. I have already spent a good deal of time incorporating wesnoth art into the card game so i don't think i will remove it (and since it is all open source it should be fine) but i agree that it would be good to make it so it is not a 'wesnoth' card game.

In reality it was never really designed as a 'wesnoth' card game, it would be impossible to replicate the features of wesnoth in something that needs to be as simple as a card game. Because of that i think it would be fine to merely call this a "action card game set in a fantasy world of wizards and warlord".
The_Gnat

Re: Great card game idea - Wizards and Warlords

Post by The_Gnat »

Again thanks to ForestDragon i have created many new cards. I have now split the game into three different pdf's. This allows players to only play the base game, or to use the advanced cards, or to use the werewolf cards (allowing wolf transformation to be a larger part of the game).

See here for the new cards.

In total there are about 240 cards and 32 events. But that is ALOT, which is why i split it into multiple pdf's so you can download or print only the cards you want. I recommend for new players to play using just he base game. And for players who are starting to find the game dull the advanced cards and wolf cards definitely fix that problem! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

New update!!! See the first post for the download links! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

There hasn't been any conversation on this topic, so for anyone wondering what has happened:

The conversation has mainly been private, a lot of PM's (more than 100) have been sent and received and the game has developed significantly. Also the new updates have been posted in my franken dungeon. (If you keep an eye on the first post of this topic you will see the new updates)

Most significantly a tier ranking system has been added to all the cards, it makes them look better and allows for new game play features. Also thanks to forest dragon a good deal of new cards have been created :D though not all have been released yet because many are going to be put in the wizards pack.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

You certainly are very productive.
I wish I could be as creative as you... and follow through as much as you do.
One caution though - not about the card game which seems to be going well - those who fly to close to the sun are often cursed with jobs and significant others by the gods for their hubris. ;) :lol:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you, :D but unfortunately I do not understand the metaphor/ironic point of the advice :whistle: (if you could explain it somewhat that would be good ;))
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Surely you are not referring to the “those who fly too close to the sun” piece.
:eng: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus

I'm with you, Midnight Carnival. Oh, I'm creative, all right — but, for various reasons, my work never gets completed.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@Can-ned-food - thank you for that explaination!

@Midnight_Carnival - That is a good suggestion considering how many cards i have already made (nearly 300!). I will try to avoid over expanding this project beyond reasonable expectation! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello folks! I now have released a new update for the wizards and warlords game. The new update includes many new things most importantly:

- The advanced and base games with the new Tiers (Gold,Silver,Bronze and Dud ranking)
- The wizards pack with the new Tier ranking system
- Nearly 50 new cards spread between the wizards advanced and base games
- A dozen new event cards, and all event cards now have types (No Event, Instant Events, and Static Events)
- The card: "Card Reversal" which switches attacks into defenses and vice versa
- Updated rules which tell about all the new components

A full list of the new cards:
Change Log

Code: Select all

All games i have decreased the base font to 12pt
All games i have renamed the "x2" cards to "Double Play"

Base Game:

-Shield of Fire (pg. 2)
    -Swamp Creatures (pg. 2)
    -Bureaucrat edited (pg. 11)
    -Weakening (pg. 12)
    -Spread Shot (pg. 12)
    -Purse (pg. 12)
    -Clay Jar (from advanced game) (pg. 12)
    -Burning (pg. 12)
    -Chain Lightning (from advanced game) (pg. 12)
    -Lamp (pg. 12)
    -Archaic Volumns (pg. 14)

Advanced Game:
    -Abomination (now is attack or defense) (pg. 1)
    -Interception (now is water) (pg. 4)
    -Freeze (pg. 5)
    -False Surrender  (pg. 5)
    -Retaliation  (pg. 5)
    -Craftiness  (pg. 5)
    -Nature's Flame  (pg. 5)
    -Gamble  (pg. 14)

Wizards Pack:
    -Elemental Bow  (pg. 3)
    -Claws of Evil,Bird of Prey,Flaming Crossbow,Volcanic Fist,Hell hounds,Dark Guardian (pg. 5)
    -Frost,Harpoon,Magic Shroud,Bronze Shield,Harpoon,Lava Pool (pg. 6)
    -Satchel,Hammer,Equestrian,Autumn Leaf,Sculpture (pg. 8)
    -Wand of Magic,Charm,Pacifist (pg. 9)
    -Genius,Sabotage,Last Breath,Revitalization,Light Shield (pg. 10)
    -Flood,Battle Mage,Inspection,Earth Quake,Leather Armour,Jousting Helmet (pg. 14)

Event Pack:
    (pg.8)
    -Revival,Rejoicing,Special Ability,Opportunity,Stagnation,Uneventfulness
    -Added card types (no event,instant event,static event)
Go download all the stuff from the first page of the slide! :D If anyone sees any text problems/balance problems or has any suggestions i would appreciate them. I would like to look at this as the first release of a stable and (nearly) complete version of the wizards game.

Also if you are interested in the game PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE :eng: : Do not play with all the cards and all the components at once!!!!!!
This game is excellent because of its variety and uniqueness but if you play with all the different cards, events, game modes, and extra rules at once then you are guaranteed to become confused. I would suggest playing first with just the base game, then add the advanced game, and then take turns playing with the other components with them. I sometimes play with the wizards cards, sometimes i use the events and sometimes i play with the special game modes (listed in the rules), and sometimes i play with none of them. This way the game stays unique and fun. :D
The_Gnat

Re: Great card game - Wizards and Warlords

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, i am happy to announce a new pack released for the Wizard and Warlords!

The new Monster pack contains a new stack of monster cards that can be summoned into the game, and a new role of Summoner. It has a total of 88 cards in it! Go to the first page for download links. :D
Mik3art

Re: Card game - Wizards and Warlords

Post by Mik3art »

If the game is open source, i think the rarities of card is useles because they are used for a Marketing Game. My game is total opensource and the card's are totally customizable. Each time you start a game with a player, every single game is difference. This is the page
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48851

those interested send me a PM for the regulation, I am looking for a team of developers.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Mik3art wrote: September 21st, 2018, 12:37 pm If the game is open source, i think the rarities of card is useles because they are used for a Marketing Game.
That is somewhat correct, but misses a point: The host of a game can exclude tiers and use pseudorandom shuffling.

Rarer cards are those with fewer copies in the entire deck. When you purchase a pack of trading–cards, the deck is actually the entire distribution released from the manufacturing factory in a single “run”. It is amongst all those cards that the rarity of a card is calculated.
With a deck which you print out — or use by email or whatever — the entire set is much smaller and configured by the host. You can yet have rare cards when you print them yourself!

Furthermore, there is nowhere in the rules for this game where it recommends printing copies of certain tiers at multipliers. A host can certainly decide to print 1 of some, 2 of others, and 3 of different others, e.g., but the rules do not require it — ergo, it could cause problems with distribution and game–theory ‘balance’.

I haven't counted, but it seems as though there are almost equal quantities of Gold, Silver, and Bronze cards.
Mik3art

Post by Mik3art »

instead of rarities you could make cards that have limitations

4 copy / 3 copy / etc etc .... for deck