Has anyone tried actually creating the "less random combat" mod?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Facehunter

Has anyone tried actually creating the "less random combat" mod?

Post by Facehunter »

Now let me start by saying I have read Dave's post and understand his decision to include high variance. Apparently the topic gets brought up so often they banned it from the ideas forum(also understandable; after it's brought up the first time, they're really just begging other people to do the work).

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to do it on their own? If not, can someone point me to where chance to hit and damage reduction are calculated in the game files so I can start? I know that I'm going to need to re-balance whatever I include.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Has anyone tried actually creating the "less random combat" mod?

Post by Pentarctagon »

There is this.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

there are multiple less random mods, the best one is probably the one that comes with wesnoth itself. and can be activatd via the perferences menu iirc.

Note however that all of then inclusing the one that comes with wesnoth have a direct influence on unit balancing, or might not be compatible with certain other mods.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Facehunter

Post by Facehunter »

Found exactly what I was looking for in Dugi's No Randomness Mod. I'm not sure how I missed it the first time I looked through the Add-On page.