Xbox One Version

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

McSick

Xbox One Version

Post by McSick »

Hey All! Longtime Wesnoth fan. I remembered my forum account I created long ago and it looks like I created it back in 2008. Back then I was in highschool and I was playing on a linux computer. Over the years I have played on and off.

So Wesnoth came back in my mind. I am now married and wanted to play with my wife on the big TV and so I started digging into the forums recently. I can't seem to find much about a console version and so I was curious if anyone has tried to compile Wesnoth for Xbox One. I am actually a professional software engineer these days so I have done a little research and it seems like UWP may not be too difficult to implement for wesnoth since you can now compile in C++ for UWP.

Before I head down that road to do it myself, I wanted to post here to see if anyone else has been down this road before as well. It would be silly to waste a bunch of time if someone else has already tried and struggled and I could save myself tons of headaches as well.
Yomar

Re: Xbox One Version

Post by Yomar »

Hi McSick, as far as I know there is no Xbox version available, but I remember some discussions about it and that there were some problems trying to make an Xbox version, and so I made some researches and found something, may these following links will be interesting for you, especially the first one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12276
viewtopic.php?t=10905&p=149685
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32746
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

There are currently no plans for supporting Wesnoth on consoles.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
McSick

Post by McSick »

Yomar wrote:Hi McSick, as far as I know there is no Xbox version available, but I remember some discussions about it and that there were some problems trying to make an Xbox version, and so I made some researches and found something, may these following links will be interesting for you, especially the first one.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12276
viewtopic.php?t=10905&p=149685
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32746
Yeah I found those but all of those are from quite a different time. Xbox is a bit more friendly to free games and the marketplace.
Pentarctagon wrote:There are currently no plans for supporting Wesnoth on consoles.
In theory, I could fork the source code and attempt it myself right? Since it is GPL, so long as I provide my source code for anyone else who downloads the game (or a way to get it) then the legal issues shouldn't arise.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

If you want to attempt it, we'd certainly be supportive! As Pentarctagon said, we have no plans to support consoles, but that's mostly because we have no one on the relevant platforms with the relevant expertise. If someone like yourself wants to take a shot at getting Wesnoth to work on the Xbox One, we'd be happy to help out with your efforts.

However, I think it best if you work with alongside the dev team on this and not as as a separate project. That would allow the codebases more easily be kept in sync and we could lend official endorsement and promotion to your effort. Additionally, our associated company Wesnoth. Inc recently acquired a trademark for certain Wesnoth assets in an attempt to keep distributions of the game under the official umbrella.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
McSick

Post by McSick »

Awesome! . Once I get a feel for the codebase, I should have a better idea if it is something I want to pursue. I will hop on the discord and reach out to the dev team as I get started and if it does go anywhere, Ill definitely make sure to work with the dev team with my progress.