Greetings and salutations

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lanternglow

Greetings and salutations

Post by lanternglow »

Hoping that this is the correct forum section for this...

I am wanting to join the community as a developer. I have a 4-year degree in computer science. I currently work as a software developer for a telecom company. Currently using PHP and SQL primarily. My favorite language is Java, so I tend to write PHP the same as I would write in Java. Several of my classroom projects were written in C++.

I am hoping to gain experience using unit tests. I know approximately what unit testing is, but I don't know how to structure my code such that it can be tested.

I also want more experience working on a project as a member of a group. At my job I am the only developer. Which in a way is great - whatever I say goes. Not so great if I want to ever work anywhere else. One of the problems that I have is that I am a bit autistic. So that makes joining a new community rather difficult. Quite terrifying also.

Anyway, I went looking through the bug tracker looking for something to get my hands dirty with and found this https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/1796
Seems simple enough. What I don't know is how to take ownership of the bug. I have a github account, but I don't think that I have been added to the project. I also don't know if that is needed or not.

I am also not sure of the best way to go about branching. Should I fork the depot on github and create branches there that can be pulled in, or do I create branches directly on the official depot? I currently have the official depot cloned to my local computer with the official depot as 'origin'. I can easily create the branch on my local computer, but then I am not sure how to make it visible enough to create a pull request with it.
jyrkive
Inactive Developer

Re: Greetings and salutations

Post by jyrkive »

Hello and welcome. Your development help would definitely be appreciated. :)
lanternglow wrote:Anyway, I went looking through the bug tracker looking for something to get my hands dirty with and found this https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/1796
Seems simple enough. What I don't know is how to take ownership of the bug. I have a github account, but I don't think that I have been added to the project. I also don't know if that is needed or not.

I am also not sure of the best way to go about branching. Should I fork the depot on github and create branches there that can be pulled in, or do I create branches directly on the official depot? I currently have the official depot cloned to my local computer with the official depot as 'origin'. I can easily create the branch on my local computer, but then I am not sure how to make it visible enough to create a pull request with it.
We don't give push access to the primary repository to new developers until we trust them enough. So, you need to fork the repository, create branches in your own fork, and create pull requests to get us to pull your changes to our repo.

Do you know how to push your local branches to your fork? If not, see https://wiki.wesnoth.org/WesnothReposit ... r_own_fork.

Without push access, you can't take ownership of the bug either. It's not a problem - we have so little manpower that it's very unlikely that someone else would start working on the same bug.

Finally, discussing development matters would be faster in IRC or Discord, provided that our timezones are close enough.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Discord and IRC info, respectively.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I don't have push access and suggest that far too many people currently have push access. I see far too much work on the wesnoth repo which would be better done as branches or, better yet, branches on private forks. And I see far too many direct commits without a code review.

So, I'd suggest making a private fork, doing your work, and, in unlikely event someone else is working the same problem, work it out through the Pull Request and change-conflict resolution process. Then, when everyone is happy, have someone with commit access push the Big Green Button.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
lanternglow

Post by lanternglow »

OK. Fork it is.

I have dealt with multiple upstream depots with my code at work, so it shouldn't be too terrible to figure out. Pull from the official depot; push to my own.

Now to start digging through code...
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

If you want to avoid pointless double work, commenting "I'm working on this" on the issue helps too. (Maybe even together with a sentence saying how you want to solve it.)