Scenario Builder Program

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mask612

Scenario Builder Program

Post by Mask612 »

I have had this game for a year now and I have really enjoyed it in the time I have had it. Its really sad that this game isn't a lot more popular considering how well done the game is. I have been wanting to make a good addon to give back to the community for this game but it turns out I am not that creative in story writing. So instead I started working on a program to help people make scenarios. As of right now it is missing a lot of features that go into making a campaign but it will create a working scenario.
As a heads up it is written in C and it is a console program. Why a C console application? Firstly I needed the practice with C and more importantly I still have a lot to learn about making UIs with the other languages I know.
Since the posting guidelines don't say anything about links I'll just post the source code instead of an exe

https://github.com/Mask612/Wesnoth-Scenario-Builder

If you guys like this idea I can continue on it or even someone else that is much better at making UIs can make something of what I have.
Let me know what you think and good luck with developing
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Scenario Builder Program

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not sure you'll get much interest without a UI. In any case, Coder's Corner might be a better place for this to be, if you want me to move this there.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Mask612

Post by Mask612 »

Sure move it. The point was to make or get the idea going to make a program so people with no experience could start right away
Maybe I could take another shot at it in java or something to make it easier
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Alright, moved.

I think you should write this however allows you to best work on it, whether that's C or Java or something else. People are much more willing to use (and help out with) things that are easier to use/maintain/and improve.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I think it would be great to have a simple scenario creator. I have found java (especially Netbeans and IntelliJ) to be useful for creating gui's!

The main problem is the mutlitude of options that are available but if you can get it to work that would be great!
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

You will definitely want to use something that gives you a UI toolkit. For C/C++, I know that there is Pango, Cairo, and QT. There might be more.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

If you ever want your project considered for mainline I would suggest:

1) C++
2) Use the Pango/Cairo and WML UI from the engine.
3) Integrate into the Map Editor (which already creates and edits basic scenario)
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I personally would like a browser based alternative. It's quite possible with a 'normal' knowledge in javascript.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Another good option is certainly Python 3 + Tkinter and ttk. Just like with Java requires only a JVM to run, Python will require users to install only the Python interpreter (or the python-tk module from their package manger), so the program will effectively be cross-platform. There are also ways to "compile" Python scripts as executable files.
Heindal wrote:I personally would like a browser based alternative. It's quite possible with a 'normal' knowledge in javascript.
Absolutely! Another advantage of this solution is that the program will be able to run directly from GitHub Pages, since JavaScript is executed locally in the browser.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Wouldn't it be best to improve the map editor?
Because it's already in mainline?

That would be the place where players would find it earlier, and non-mainline work tends to get forgotten after some time.. (e.g. the eclipse add-on)
Try out the dark board theme.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Shiki wrote:Wouldn't it be best to improve the map editor?
Because it's already in mainline?

That would be the place where players would find it earlier, and non-mainline work tends to get forgotten after some time.. (e.g. the eclipse add-on)
Yeah this is also a good idea, if someone has experience in how the editor was created new events/items/dialog could be added through it to scenarios.