What is a tick?

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

What is a tick?

Post by Pentarctagon »

In my wesnoth log I'm seeing:

Code: Select all

Initilizing teams took 3 ticks.
Initilizing total took 10 ticks.
What is/how long is a tick?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: What is a tick?

Post by Turuk »

One tick is 10 nano seconds. Depending on what you're using as a frame of reference.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

A cursory look at the code in question shows that the values displayed come from SDL_GetTicks() calls, so one “tick” in this particular context is purportedly equivalent to 1 millisecond.

(Moved to Coders’ Corner.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

shadowm wrote:A cursory look at the code in question shows that the values displayed come from SDL_GetTicks() calls, so one “tick” in this particular context is purportedly equivalent to 1 millisecond.

(Moved to Coders’ Corner.)
A wiser mind than mine.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

hmm this log was added by me for testing the performance of the mp replay feature, i wanted to rmeove after i finished but it seems like i forgot.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.