Getting Started

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jagreen

Re: Getting Started

Post by Jagreen »

vultraz: i read both, i want help with EasyCoding(Improvements to AI) and NotSoEasyCoding(Data structures: Make the Lua state persistent)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

bweep wrote:Is there any chance you will move to allow c++11 any time in the near future?
Official answer:

We will reevaluate the C++11/C++14 transition task at a later time depending on how many active engine developers can handle C++14 code (that’s in terms of their ability to work with it if someone were to flip the switch overnight and update a bunch of code), how many of them are stuck with IDEs and toolchains where the features we’ll use aren’t available (which features we’ll use is also TBD), and support availability across Wesnoth’s primary distribution platforms.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
macabeus_br
Code Contributor

Post by macabeus_br »

I know the project more than five years, and only now I discovered that use Python! What a joy =P

But I got confused: seeing the folder "wesnoth/utils," there Perl among other things, language that did not mention.
It are old code that nobody else is interested, or are still used?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

data/tools/ contains wmllint and the other Python tools. There are some scripts in utils/ we use as well as other stuff that nobody has touched in ages, but for the most part they don’t need maintenance or fixes.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Well, I've been here long enough, so I guess it's about time I give something back. I know c++ and python reasonably well, although I have close to nil experience working on a project this large. I'd like to try improving/adding to the scenario editor. Who should I talk to about that?
LordDemigod

Post by LordDemigod »

Hi.

I'm a C++ engine programmer currently working for Ubisoft and I have experience working with really large projects.
I found out that the project needs help through Hacker News - loved playing Wesnoth when I was younger so I would quite like to help if I can during my free time.
Right now I'm moving to a new house but after the weekend I can have a look at some tasks - anything in particular that's high priority at the moment?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Limabean wrote:I'd like to try improving/adding to the scenario editor. Who should I talk to about that?
If you asked one year ago, I'd have said "fabi". But now fabi is missing, and I have no idea about who may have any knowledge about the editor. You can try asking in #wesnoth-dev.
LordDemigod wrote:Right now I'm moving to a new house but after the weekend I can have a look at some tasks - anything in particular that's high priority at the moment?
Currently there is an ongoing attempt to move the game to SDL2.
Also, while this isn't a list of high priority tasks, from this post onwards there's a non-exhaustive list of stuff which shadowm, me and mattsc would like to see in Wesnoth.
Once again, feel free to appear on #wesnoth-dev and talk with the other devs as well :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
macabeus_br
Code Contributor

Post by macabeus_br »

I am studying the source of Wesnoth. I'm concentrating on part of WML and Python, which is the most I have interest.
I would like to cooperate in this part of the game. I really find interesting write a new language =)

In wmlgrammar:

Code: Select all

self.datatypes = {
    "boolean": re.compile("^(yes|no|true|false|on|off)$"),
    # "character" : re.compile("^.$"),
    "float": re.compile("^(\\+|-)?[0-9]+(\.[0-9]*)?$"),
    "integer": re.compile("^(\\+|-)?[0-9]+$"),
    "string": re.compile(".*"),
    "tstring": re.compile(".*"),
}
These data should not be collected through the data/schema.cfg, in [schema]?
For what reason in the schema file string is ^[\d\w\s]*$ while in Python is .*?
Also found the following TODO:

define="required identifier" #TODO: maybe require it to be uppercase?
I could implement this in the project?

Another question: what is tstring?

What's wrong here?

macabeus@macabeusacer ~/ApenasMeu/wesnoth/data/tools $ python wmlvalidator /home/macabeus/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons/A_Simple_Addon/_main.cfg -p /home/macabeus/ApenasMeu/wesnoth/data
(/home/macabeus/.local/share/wesnoth/1.13/data/add-ons/A_Simple_Addon/_main.cfg:6) Attribute '[campaign] description's value should be tstring, found: Some text about my campaign!

[campaign]
  description= _ "Some text about my campaign!"

Sorry my bad English.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I think "tstring" is a translatable string: http://www.wesnoth.org/devdocs/classt__string.html
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

macabeus_br wrote:These data should not be collected through the data/schema.cfg, in [schema]?
For what reason in the schema file string is ^[\d\w\s]*$ while in Python is .*?
Unfortunately, I didn't yet examine these files (I'm currently busy with the three main tools wmllint, wmlscope and wmlindent, plus their dependencies, and then I'll have to try working on wmllint-1.4 and trackplacer too), so I don't know what's going on there, or what's wmlgrammar's purpose. I'm afraid that, at least for now, you're on your own, sorry :(
macabeus_br wrote:Another question: what is tstring?
tstring is short for "translatable string". They're marked by adding an underscore before them, so I suspect that the tstring regexp may be wrong (it doesn't take the underscore in account, an being in a dictionary there's no guarantee that it'll be accessed before the catch-all string data type - perhaps OrderedDict will be a better choice).
However, as I said, currently I have no insights in this tool, but someone else may know something more about it (shadowm or, perhaps, Sapient?).
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hello, I just noticed your call for help. And since I have been playing around with this wonderful game for the last 10 years or so I thought I should at least try to help. I chose the Handle (userid) "Dinosaur" because that is the term that came to be used to describe old Mainframe systems programmers back in the 80's. I began my career in Data Processing in 1971 as a computer operator on an IBM 1401. (this was a no Operating system machine with punch card input. (As I remember, the machine stood about 5 feet high, 8 feet long, was 3 feet deep and had about 8k in memory.) Since then, up until I retired ten years ago, I have held every Job in this field from Operations, to Applications development, to Systems programming, Design Engineering and Data Center Management.

I have ancient experience with many programing languages. Including Assembler, Fortran, Cobol, Lots of Basic, and even Pascal to name just a few. I also worked with Data base design and am familiar with SQL etc. But even though I have ample experience it is all now completely dated. The terminology used today has evolved and left me behind.

My experience with Wesnoth source code has been limited to local modifications. I tailor game play to my own preferences in order to speed up play. There is nothing I dislike more that moving only 5 steps at a time. Then having to wait 20 mins for the ai to figure out its moves. But that's just me. I suppose it would be best a this point, just, to hang around the forum and offer my two cents where I can.

I am looking forward to sharing the love of this project with you all.
- Scott Johnson
macabeus_br
Code Contributor

Post by macabeus_br »

Elvish_Hunter, a few more questions and stuff.

I think pages on the wiki as this is outdated... they actually are?
What can I do?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

macabeus_br wrote:I think pages on the wiki as this is outdated... they actually are?
Talk about ancient stuff! :shock: That page was made shortly after I got commit access - I didn't even know that it existed... But the page itself doesn't explain clearly what tool is it; perhaps it's wmlvalidator? If so, feel free to try working on it, as nobody else is currently doing it.
As for the page itself, perhaps you can ask vultraz if it's worth keeping it, moving it in some other category or deleting it.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

If EH thinks it's useless now, it looks like it can be deleted or filed away.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
macabeus_br
Code Contributor

Post by macabeus_br »

It's all right. I will study more and see about WML and wmlvalidator script.

The original script's developer disappeared? There is no way to contact her to dispel doubts with him?