Getting Started

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Getting Started

Postby Pentarctagon » June 30th, 2016, 5:15 am

Then ask, either on the wesnoth-dev irc, or here on the forums, or on the mailing list. I'm not a developer myself, but I'm pretty sure nobody is going to bite your head off for asking "I want to code X feature, is that alright?"
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator

Postby Cryonic » May 20th, 2017, 8:23 pm

Hey everyone,

I've just stumbled upon Battle for Wesnoth while I was looking for open source projects. Given that I'm a very passionate gamer and strategy games are some of my favorites, I felt the urge to take a look inside and what I saw was really nice.

I'm currently doing a Master in Computer Science, so I do have some experience in development (mainly Java, but some smaller things in other languages as well), although I haven't dabbled in game development yet. I'm not sure about the hurdles to join development here. I've only worked a bit with C++ in one project and am currently getting into Python. I'm willing to learn though and I'm very much a "hands-on + self-taught" guy, so I think I could be of help.

The question I have before I get invested and take a closer look is: Do you even need a developer that has to learn the necessary skills in C++ (and co.) while contributing, or is it more of a hassle and probably too much for me, before I've spent enough time with the necessary languages for this project?
Cryonic

Postby Celtic_Minstrel » May 20th, 2017, 9:02 pm

While someone with much C++ experience is great to have, we're certainly also willing to accept people who need to learn as they go (I believe at least one of the current core developers is such a person; I won't name names in case I'm wrong). I suggest simply joining the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel and asking around.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Postby Pentarctagon » May 20th, 2017, 9:09 pm

There's also #development on Wesnoth's Discord, but there's a bridge-bot, so either should be fine. Never mind, apparently there isn't.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Pentarctagon
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Coder’s Corner