Getting Started

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: Getting Started

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

macabeus_br wrote:The original script's developer disappeared? There is no way to contact her to dispel doubts with him?
So, I noticed that there's a bit of confusion going on.
The wiki page was made by Sytyi, which was a GSoC participant and disappeared after GSoC was over. Sadly, that's a common fate to most, if not all, our former GSoC contributors... :(
As for wmlvalidator, the commit history tells me that it was made by AI/AI0867, and he's currently inactive too; but his last visit to the forums was on 27th July 2015, so you can try dropping him a PM.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
macabeus_br
Code Contributor

Post by macabeus_br »

Okay, I'm already working on wmlvalidator and wmlgrammar.

Now I can say with total certainty that they have the functionality of, using as a basis the file data/schema.cfg, validate and warn of inconsistencies.
However, it is outdated and buggy, and a dirty code.

I'm still learning WML. The Wiki articles relating to WML up to date? Which of official campaigns I can use with total certainty that they are correct without errors in WML, to use as study and tests?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

You should be able to use most of the mainline campaigns for reference. However, it's not guaranteed that the code is the most optimized. I don't recommend looking at Legend of Wesmere, though.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

macabeus_br wrote:The Wiki articles relating to WML up to date?
I believe the majority of wiki articles relating to WML are up-to-date or at least almost up-to-date. Off the top of my head, the most outdated are probably the ones about AI (except micro_ai since that's new), but at the same time I think most of that hasn't changed much recently. (I could be wrong though.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Sorry for the late reply. If you'd like to maintain a campaign, the first thing to do would be to clone the repo from GitHub, then pick a campaign and see about fixing any issues you can come across or making improvements. You can always ask in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel for help. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Also, one content/WML maintenance area that has gotten very little mention are the multiplayer scenarios. There's several WML-heavy mainline scenarios (Dark Forecast, Team Survival and A New Land) which I'm sure are neither entirely bug-free nor polished to perfection.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

zookeeper wrote:There's several WML-heavy mainline scenarios (Dark Forecast, Team Survival and A New Land) which I'm sure are neither entirely bug-free nor polished to perfection.
Speaking of which, recently errorr from the WIF told me that the Dark Forecast scenario has a bug: when reloading the game, the random enemy waves stop being spawned.
Currently I have no time to check and confirm it, or to try solving it, but I'm reporting it here just in case that someone wants to work on it.

EDIT: errorr just told me that it was a one time malfunctioning, and that the next game went fine. Unfortunately, the save of the faulty game has been lost :(
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
tonyxty

Post by tonyxty »

Hello there,
I am fairly new to wesnoth (started playing at the beginning of this year). I like the game and want to help out. I am fairly fluent in C++ and python and have some experiences with projects of moderate size (a small GUI toolkit in DirectX 9 years ago, and an app backend in python 3 recently), but lack experiences in coordinating with a devteam and familiarity with libraries such as SDL. Where should I start?
howwitty

Post by howwitty »

Hi, I have been registered user on the Wesnoth server for nine years. Though I do not have a desktop installation, I still play on mobile and I can test the mobile version. I can use Mac and PC versions of Wesnoth occasionally, and I am also a novice in Lua and C++. I don't plan to be a custodian of any campaign, though I enjoy a few different add-ons. From a practical perspective, I think add-ons provide functionality in MP campaigns where one such function of gameplay might otherwise be remote or unwieldy if not impossible to implement.

Recently, an add-on which I enjoyed was not ported to the latest version, since it was not maintained (its content was notably diverse and unrelated to mainline campaigns). I found out about this add-on on the stable server in 2014, where it was shared by other users in a MP game. That is why MP scenarios are cross functional when Wesnoth developers participate in the community which they create. I can join other playtesters in experimenting and I am open to suggestions of other add-ons. I am wondering how any add-ons which provide new functions will be merged with future development versions of Wesnoth. Is this thread likely to branch for playtesters?

Please note that since I have completed different versions of mainline campaigns on multiple occasions, I have a somewhat extensive knowledge of lore as it appears in individual campaigns, from scenario to scenario.
I'm tired.
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

Hi, I am Ernestas. For the beggining, why I am here. I always feel a lack of good games. And recently (I was sitting in an airport returning from an olympiad with a bronze :D ) I found Wesnoth. It's awesome! I am only a begginer programmer, so I don't think I can help too much, but I have ideas, and could help with graphics (like unit pictures with a little bit of practice).
rythius21

Post by rythius21 »

Hey, wesnoth devs! Just responding to the request I've been a huge fan of the game for several years. I would like to help you guys out, but I do have a few.....limitations, if you will. I have no coding or art experience, but I would have no problem working as a beta tester or simply as someone to provide ideas for new units/factions/maps. If this would be any help, let me know! My email is <redacted>.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Folks, if you want to help, you don't need to tell us about it here, you can just start! If you want to help with C++, read the first page in this thread. For beta-testing, check out the the top of the download page for 1.13.1. If you want to help with the missing unit animations, do a rough draft of one, and start an art thread. If you want to maintain a campaign, see the comment by vultraz above. We're glad you are interested, but since this is open source, you don't need anyone's permission to work on it!
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
rythius21

Post by rythius21 »

I composed a song for Wesnoth, and I was just wondering if there is a way I can send it to someone who would be able to implement it into the next version of the game. If so, then I can send it to whoever can do it. :D
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

rythius21 wrote:I composed a song for Wesnoth, and I was just wondering if there is a way I can send it to someone who would be able to implement it into the next version of the game. If so, then I can send it to whoever can do it. :D
You should create a new thread in the Music & Sound subforum and post/link the song there.
PoignardAzur

Post by PoignardAzur »

beetlenaut wrote:Folks, if you want to help, you don't need to tell us about it here, you can just start! If you want to help with C++, read the first page in this thread. For beta-testing, check out the the top of the download page for 1.13.1. If you want to help with the missing unit animations, do a rough draft of one, and start an art thread. If you want to maintain a campaign, see the comment by vultraz above. We're glad you are interested, but since this is open source, you don't need anyone's permission to work on it!
True.

To play the devil's advocate, though, Wesnoth is kind of an intimating project to engage. Like, it's ten years old, with established standards, a we-already-rejected-this-so-many-times-why-are-you-still-asking list of frequent suggestions, a huge codebase, etc... As a newcomer, it's making me feel a bit lost and intimidated, and wary to start my own modifications without any experience of what is approved by the main developers and what isn't ^^.