On the passphrase announcement

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xhh2a

On the passphrase announcement

Post by xhh2a »

What exactly is the backend server written in? It's fairly trivial to use pbkdf2 to encrypt a password and then recalculate the value in nodejs. The password can be hashed or encrypted between client and server as well, although this is a more complicated task given crypto libraries are usually very poorly documented.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: On the passphrase announcement

Post by Iris »

xhh2a wrote:What exactly is the backend server written in?
C++.

Also, as with anything else involving Wesnoth’s engine at the moment, patches welcome.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
xhh2a

Post by xhh2a »

Ahh...well...C++....*grumbles*. Not really looking toward touching that anytime soon.

At a very quick glance seems like you are using custom network stuff in C++? I suppose this came out too early before REST? (Quick google came up with https://github.com/mrtazz/restclient-cpp although I'm not sure if this really is cross platform). I kind of recognize that will require considerable changes on the client side though when talking with the server. So I suppose rewriting the server in node would be more painful due to client changes...that and JSON creation is probably more painful in C++ than Java.

Regarding C++, HMAC/PBKDF2 seems to be doable in C++ using OpenSSL but I haven't done it before.

http://crypto.stackexchange.com/questio ... umentation

Well...good luck I suppose. (and sorry for the lack of motivation)
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

fwiw if I was going to fully rewrite the server not in C++, I would choose either rust (for learning opportunity also :p) or even haskell I think.

It's kind of nice that the whole project is buildable in C++ though.

Json is not hard to parse, there is a very nice boost spirit-based json parser which is probably faster than anything you will make in node (speculation).