Cross-platform C++ SDK originates in wesnoth

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancientcc

Cross-platform C++ SDK originates in wesnoth

Post by ancientcc »

Rose: http://www.freeors.com

Rose is a corss-platform C++ SDK. It is based on SDL, and provide higher level interface to application.

Features
  • Cross-platform, include Windows, iOS, Android, Mac OS X, Linux. They are same as SDL.
    Running application needn't additional plugin on all platform.
    Really achieve "one code and run all platform".
    Has a platform-independent, full widget's window system.
    More detailed framework, deep into unit level on "Big Map".
    Powerful animation.
    Easy to use network interface.
    Built-in mini-app module. Chat etc.
Modules
Modules in Rose are devided into tow catalog: base and mini-app.
Base Modules
  • Windows system
    Framework logic
    Config
    Image, sound and animation
    Integrate text, image and animation
    International
    Network
Mini-app module
  • IRC Chat
    WEB interaction
    In Purchase
iceiceice

Re: Cross-platform C++ SDK originates in wesnoth

Post by iceiceice »

Rose originates in Battle for Wesnoth. Rose is distributed under the zlib license. This license allows you to use Rose freely in any software.
You should correct that to GNU GPL. As others have pointed out before...
ancientcc

Post by ancientcc »

iceiceice wrote:
Rose originates in Battle for Wesnoth. Rose is distributed under the zlib license. This license allows you to use Rose freely in any software.
You should correct that to GNU GPL. As others have pointed out before...
I want to give application based Rose to decide open source or not. For example security, encrypt, application require close partial code.

I known wesnoth is GPL. Based on it directly, Rose promises to open source persistent.

SDL2 is zlib license, to a project relatived to it closely, so I set same as SDL2.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

ancientcc wrote:Rose originates in Battle for Wesnoth. Rose is distributed under the zlib license. This license allows you to use Rose freely in any software.
iceiceice wrote:You should correct that to GNU GPL. As others have pointed out before...
ancientcc wrote:I known wesnoth is GPL. Based on it directly, Rose promises to open source persistent.
In which way is "Rose based on Wesnoth"?
If your software contains code derived from Wesnoth's code (which is a GPL project), you must release your software under GPL, or not at all. (And you can't release it under any other license.)

A "promise to open source persistent" is not enough, and your intentions (to use it for encryption etc.) are irrelevant.

If you just got some ideas for your project from Wesnoth, then it is not a derived work, and you can choose your license freely.

As an aside:
For example security, encrypt, application require close partial code.
Any encryption algorithm which needs to be secret, is a bad one. See Kerckhoffs's principle.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I want to give application based Rose to decide open source or not.
Nothing gives you the right to do that. If you wanted to do that, you should have started with "public domain" code, not GPL copy-lefted code.

When people GPL their code its because they don't want to allow companies to take their code and decide not to open source it. The GPL is arranged so that you cannot legally modify the original code and then ignore the original author's wishes.

When you try to distribute both War of Kingdom and Rose SDK under a non-GPL license, you are misleading companies about what they can legally do with a large chunk of the Battle for Wesnoth code, and you are breaking the law.
ancientcc

Post by ancientcc »

War of Kingdom and Rose are tow project.

War of Kingdom is GPL.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I think you don't understand the issue, so I'm going to explain the consequences for you.

Rose is a derivative work of the wesnoth gui code from ~ 2010.

Since you are trying to distribute it under different terms from GPL, you are distributing illegally, and the copyright holder may take action against you.

In wesnoth, we do not transfer copyright to the Battle for Wesnoth project when we commit. The code is held in our repostory and all under GPL, but each individual coder is the copyright holder. Mordante wrote a lot of the GUI2-specific code, but not all of it. GUI2 also uses the wesnoth Formula code, and a substantial amount of wesnoth GUI1 code, like the font code, and many people contributed to that.

Any individual who contributed code which you took to make Rose is therefore in a position to issue a DMCA takedown notice against your website, your github, and anywhere else that you distribute Rose, and against anyone who uses Rose and doesn't release under the GNU GPL. Since the case is clear cut you wouldn't be able to fight this in court, and neither would anyone who uses Rose. This would not require coordinated action of the wesnoth developers -- it could be initiated by any individual without warning to you. It does not cost any money or require a lawyer to issue such a notice -- but if you choose to fight it, they have the option to take you to court, where they would be sure to win.

I believe that you forked the project before I was a developer, so you aren't likely to have any of my code. But anyone who contributed any gui-related code before 2010 is likely to be a candidate -- there might be a dozen or two dozen such people? It would be very difficult for you even to contact all of them.

Once a company figures this out, there's no way they will try to use Rose for closed source, because they don't want the legal risk. So you might as well change it to GPL, and you don't really have a choice anyways.
ancientcc

Post by ancientcc »

I am chinese, and pool in English. Writing little english requries to spend a lot time. Even so, others may not understand what I say.

I had modified license to GPL v2.

Of course, my view is clear as before. Give right to user as free as possible, include closing code.

In the last month, I has release Rose 0.0.6. Below is changelog.

SDK
* UI style to flat design.
* Implement "Radio page" using stacked_widget.
* Remove gui2 widget type: [multi_page], [repeating_button], [horizontal_listbox], [matrix].
* Remove gui2 module: viewport, instance, placer and generator.
* On IRC client, now can operate one history message, for example "Reply", "Copy".

Studio
* Implement "Dialog editor".
* Implement "Theme eidtor.

Next one work is impletementing portrait orientation. It is importment in mobile device.