Huge map issues

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LeLanN

Huge map issues

Post by LeLanN »

Dear Wesnoth developers :) ,

I'm currently making a huge map (about 750*325) and I am experiencing some problems with the map editor and the game AI.

First, the editor is very slow, around 5 seconds to add a single tile, moreover, it sometimes crashes. It clearly doesn't fit for such a large map, but could probably be optimized.
Next, the AI is also very slow and becomes crazy with a too vast map, I tried to put a blue and a red warrior to simulate a duel (there was no castle) and the enemy kept waiting for one minute (probably analyzing all the possible paths) and then ended his turn without even moving to attack his opponent.
It could probably be enhanced for larger maps.

Thank you for reading; I hope you will be able to fix these issues. :)

LeLanN.
iceiceice

Re: Huge map issues

Post by iceiceice »

LeLanN wrote: ... could probably be optimized
Patches welcome :) .
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !

Currently, the maps are limited to 200 x 200 (according to the documentation). Actually, the map editor accepts much larger maps (I tried up to 1000 x 1000), but one can't expect it to work fluently on such huge things. Mainly because it's not only a mere matter of displaying the hexes images, but the program has to compute the transitions too.

That said, there's no real interest of the community in such large maps. As you marked it, battles on them are very slow, particularly if you populated the map with large armies. This leads to unplayable scenarios, and most designers describe a long journey on several little maps (using a special feature allowing to display animated transition paths on the general Wesnoth map). This explains you've very few chances to see your suggestions welcomed.

Friendly,
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

LeLanN wrote:I'm currently making a huge map (about 750*325) and I am experiencing some problems with the map editor and the game AI.
Why do you ever need such big map?