New dev

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Oscar-HaP

New dev

Post by Oscar-HaP »

Hi!

I'm a newbie!

First of all, I'm Oscar and I'm from Spain. As you can see from my post count, I'm a rookie on the forum -although I've kept occasionally re-downloading and playing BfW for lots of years.

Hence, I've finally decided to help the development with my skills -I only did it before directing here a translator to work on the spanish texts. For the record, I'm graduated in the now-extint Spanish "Ingeniería Informática", which was a 5-year degree (although the average at the college were 7 years to finish :mrgreen: ) mixing what in most countries are the degrees of Computer Science and Computer Engineering.

On the gaming side my experience is exclusively on personal projects (there's no videogame sector in this country), my first experience was to develop a shooter (animal-hunting, actually) sandbox with DarkBASIC (which sounds sooooooo freaking old right now!). I've also had my times with C++/OpenGL, C#/XNA and AS3(Flash), although lately I've been giving chances to some HTML5 frameworks. BTW I also have experience with sockets and such (C++/Java/NodeJS), both on games and "regular" software ( and distributed computing :geek: ).

Questions

1. Here in this sub-forum ( http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9979 ) there are the directions for SVN (year 2006!), although on the last post there's a mention of GitHub (I come from BitBucket) being the preferred method right now. I guess that's still true?. (if I had to go back to SVN right now I wouldn't contribute :roll: ).

2. Is the article "Easy changes for noobs" (http://wiki.wesnoth.org/EasyCoding) kept updated?

3. Is some IDE/Linux distribution preferred for development? (just to not give things for granted: anyone does it under Windows?). Not that I care much about the environment, but just to have something in common for those times when something's not building on someone machine.

4. I'd swear I saw some up-to-date roadmap that I'm unable to find now. Was I dreaming and/or is my memory recalling the roadmap of some other project? If not, I'd like a link.

I think that's enough for now to set up things up and start.
lipk

Re: New dev

Post by lipk »

Hi.

1) Yes, we're using git.
2) More or less yes.
3) There are a few people who develop on Windows. There's no preferred IDE, but the best maintained build systems are SCons and CMake so you probably want to use something that integrates with those.
4) We don't have any roadmap.